Audio-gd NFB-28
Mar 27, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #1,006 of 2,104

I get all that, but my question was in reference to upgrading your OS from a good one to a bad one just for 32 bit audio.  I know for some of us, upgrading the OS is something we do often and not a big deal.  Yet it can lead to many problems (as you have shown).  It's a big step to take just to prove a point about a feature you will literally NOT USE at least for the lifetime of your current OS.

To go back to your Ferrari metaphor, it's like bulldozing your house and building a track instead just to test the top speed once.  At least IMO.

Anyways, different stroke for different folks.  It's not my intention to insult or get you worked up.  I apologize.  I hope you enjoy your NFB-28 and HE-560 as much as I do!  
beerchug.gif

I am upgrading windows for similar principles to what I just mentioned. Audio is just one small reason. Otherwise.... Windows 8.1 implements UEFI or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface with secureboot. Well, it does it better than windows 7 anyways. The boot times are significantly less with windows 8. Also the direct X supports newer versions with more features than the windows 7 direct X. 11.2 vs 11... A clear winner.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/24/battlefield_4_windows_7_vs_81_performance_review/5#.VRWD0vnF98E

or copied and pasted from this article. 
"

Performance Advantage

Is there a performance advantage in Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7 for BF4? The answer is, "Yes." We consistently found that under Windows 8.1 BF4performed faster than Windows 7 on both AMD and NVIDIA hardware. Both GPUs, from both vendors, had a consistent performance advantage in every test we performed. More importantly, in the real-world multiplayer gaming session that matters, there was a performance advantage.

Now, this performance advantage is small on the R9 290X at around 3%. It is larger on the GTX 780 at around 6%. We found this more interesting. It seems the GeForce GTX 780 was more advantageous in performance under Windows 8.1 than the R9 290X was. We did not expect that. With all the work AMD has put intoBF4 and DX11.1, we figured the R9 290X would show the highest performance advantages. However, the reverse is true. It is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 that is benefiting the most from Windows 8.1.

Gameplay Image Quality Advantage

Was there an advantage to the image quality settings under Windows 8.1? The answer is "No." The performance advantages were generally small at 3-6%. This isn’t enough of a performance boost to allow us to raise the resolution, or raise the AA settings, or raise an image quality setting. We were not able to play at different game settings under Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7. This means the game will look the same under both operating systems.

Gameplay Experience Advantages

Are there gameplay experience advantages under Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7 in BF4? The answer is a, "Big YES."

Under Windows 7, we experienced choppiness as we played. This was felt both in the "Test Range" map, and in multiplayer gaming sessions. The choppiness was more pronounced on the GeForce GTX 780. We could get on a straight path, in the "Test Range" and move down a straight road. As we did this, there would be a pause, or chop, in the frames randomly. It was like the game was hitching for no reason. This happened more on the GTX 780. This is under Windows 7.

When we tried this on Windows 8.1 the pausing, or hitching, or chop (however you want to describe it) was completely gone. Moving was smoother with no hitching in the game on the GTX 780. This affected both the test range and the multiplayer gaming session.

Therefore, the gameplay experience advantage under Windows 8.1 is a smoother gameplay experience in BF4 on both video cards."

I'm a gamer too, and 6% performance, and no more stutters or hangups in my games is significant to me. Windows 8.1 is a better operating system, albeit a large learning curve to get used to it. I'm ok with that. UEFI is the future and this operating system integrated peripherals and hardware better than ever. So 32bit sound is like one sprinkle on top. I had this planned either way. I am having issues as I'm trying to fully understand the UEFI setup of windows in combination with all my hardware. My microsoft buddy picked me up a copy of 8.1 pro for 40 bucks so why not?

:D

basically, I purchased a great computer and it's video card is a Kingpin 780TI. I would like it to perform at it's best. That would be in windows 8.1 where it can utilize it's DirectX 11.2 that it supports. Why not? 

I've found that randomly my DVDROM took a crap on me and is why I couldn't get things to load properly. A new one will arrive today. So hopefully i'll have windows 8.1 all loaded this weekend. I'll set it up to have the classic start menu and all is good. I would prefer to learn about new technology as it comes out. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #1,007 of 2,104

I am upgrading windows for similar principles to what I just mentioned. Audio is just one small reason. Otherwise.... Windows 8.1 implements UEFI or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface with secureboot. Well, it does it better than windows 7 anyways. The boot times are significantly less with windows 8. Also the direct X supports newer versions with more features than the windows 7 direct X. 11.2 vs 11... A clear winner.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/24/battlefield_4_windows_7_vs_81_performance_review/5#.VRWD0vnF98E

or copied and pasted from this article. 
"

Performance Advantage

Is there a performance advantage in Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7 for BF4? The answer is, "Yes." We consistently found that under Windows 8.1 BF4performed faster than Windows 7 on both AMD and NVIDIA hardware. Both GPUs, from both vendors, had a consistent performance advantage in every test we performed. More importantly, in the real-world multiplayer gaming session that matters, there was a performance advantage.

Now, this performance advantage is small on the R9 290X at around 3%. It is larger on the GTX 780 at around 6%. We found this more interesting. It seems the GeForce GTX 780 was more advantageous in performance under Windows 8.1 than the R9 290X was. We did not expect that. With all the work AMD has put intoBF4 and DX11.1, we figured the R9 290X would show the highest performance advantages. However, the reverse is true. It is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 that is benefiting the most from Windows 8.1.

Gameplay Image Quality Advantage

Was there an advantage to the image quality settings under Windows 8.1? The answer is "No." The performance advantages were generally small at 3-6%. This isn’t enough of a performance boost to allow us to raise the resolution, or raise the AA settings, or raise an image quality setting. We were not able to play at different game settings under Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7. This means the game will look the same under both operating systems.

Gameplay Experience Advantages

Are there gameplay experience advantages under Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7 in BF4? The answer is a, "Big YES."

Under Windows 7, we experienced choppiness as we played. This was felt both in the "Test Range" map, and in multiplayer gaming sessions. The choppiness was more pronounced on the GeForce GTX 780. We could get on a straight path, in the "Test Range" and move down a straight road. As we did this, there would be a pause, or chop, in the frames randomly. It was like the game was hitching for no reason. This happened more on the GTX 780. This is under Windows 7.

When we tried this on Windows 8.1 the pausing, or hitching, or chop (however you want to describe it) was completely gone. Moving was smoother with no hitching in the game on the GTX 780. This affected both the test range and the multiplayer gaming session.

Therefore, the gameplay experience advantage under Windows 8.1 is a smoother gameplay experience in BF4 on both video cards."

I'm a gamer too, and 6% performance, and no more stutters or hangups in my games is significant to me. Windows 8.1 is a better operating system, albeit a large learning curve to get used to it. I'm ok with that. UEFI is the future and this operating system integrated peripherals and hardware better than ever. So 32bit sound is like one sprinkle on top. I had this planned either way. I am having issues as I'm trying to fully understand the UEFI setup of windows in combination with all my hardware. My microsoft buddy picked me up a copy of 8.1 pro for 40 bucks so why not?

:D

basically, I purchased a great computer and it's video card is a Kingpin 780TI. I would like it to perform at it's best. That would be in windows 8.1 where it can utilize it's DirectX 11.2 that it supports. Why not? 

I've found that randomly my DVDROM took a crap on me and is why I couldn't get things to load properly. A new one will arrive today. So hopefully i'll have windows 8.1 all loaded this weekend. I'll set it up to have the classic start menu and all is good. I would prefer to learn about new technology as it comes out. 

That's much different than upgrading for 32 bit audio, which is what I thought you said earlier.  My apologies for misunderstanding.

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #1,008 of 2,104

I get all that, but my question was in reference to upgrading your OS from a good one to a bad one just for 32 bit audio.  I know for some of us, upgrading the OS is something we do often and not a big deal.  Yet it can lead to many problems (as you have shown).  It's a big step to take just to prove a point about a feature you will literally NOT USE at least for the lifetime of your current OS.

To go back to your Ferrari metaphor, it's like bulldozing your house and building a track instead just to test the top speed once.  At least IMO.

Anyways, different stroke for different folks.  It's not my intention to insult or get you worked up.  I apologize.  I hope you enjoy your NFB-28 and HE-560 as much as I do!  
beerchug.gif

well that metaphor doesn't make much sense as I wouldn't be sleeping on a race track. I would be in my house... or using 16bit or 24bit as you will,  It's back to the fact I didn't need a ferrari and bought it anyways. Well, I didn't need 32bit but I bought it anyways. The fact is I can use it but don't need it at all! pointless.
I guess as long as the NFB-28 is more reliably than a ferrari is all that will really matter :wink:

I'm happy you helped sort out the DB differences I was experiencing. It's simply because we have different revisions of the NFB-28. I know I will enjoy this amp. It sounds phenomenal on SE and I am excited to get my Zoetic cable from Norne Audio to try the balanced audio out. I don't expect that much more because it sounds great as is!  I'm very happy with this purchase and glad there is nothing wrong with my HE-560's. They just suck juice up more than any headphone i've ever owned.

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #1,009 of 2,104

That's much different than upgrading for 32 bit audio, which is what I thought you said earlier.  My apologies for misunderstanding.

No worries, I didn't want to explain that much other than audio related stuff in this forum.  I'm off topic and apologize. 

The NFB-28 is the main deal here and just happy to have it function as advertised and understand it's clear differences between the 2015 and 2014 model. 

Basically the same, but differs here and there with small revisions.

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #1,010 of 2,104
  No worries, I didn't want to explain that much other than audio related stuff in this forum.  I'm off topic and apologize. 

The NFB-28 is the main deal here and just happy to have it function as advertised and understand it's clear differences between the 2015 and 2014 model. 

Basically the same, but differs here and there with small revisions.

While I agree with everything you said about Windows 8.1, you forgot one important detail...

Free upgrade to Windows X! Which is getting all the Xbox One first party titles that come out when Direct X12 does (like Forza 5.)

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,011 of 2,104

While I agree with everything you said about Windows 8.1, you forgot one important detail...

Free upgrade to Windows X! Which is getting all the Xbox One first party titles that come out when Direct X12 does (like Forza 5.)

I wasn't aware of this. I don't play on consoles actually... but the free upgrade to Windows X is great. Free is always nice. :D

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #1,012 of 2,104

Another thing I want to add.... Because of you I ended up purchasing the NFB-28. Your comments convinced me enough to purchase this unit. You sound like you know a bit about audio equipment and had great things to say about this amp. So thank you for the recommendation. I do enjoy this amp. It pairs very well with the hifiman HE-560.

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #1,013 of 2,104
  Another thing I want to add.... Because of you I ended up purchasing the NFB-28. Your comments convinced me enough to purchase this unit. You sound like you know a bit about audio equipment and had great things to say about this amp. So thank you for the recommendation. I do enjoy this amp. It pairs very well with the hifiman HE-560.

I believe this amp pairs well with everything. Hell, it technically has enough to drive the HE-6 very well (though, my soundblaster speaker taps can also, but that's a whole other thing.) Then again, the ESS sabre, if done correctly, is extremely transparent. The Wolfson version of this DAC is warmer by design (the filter in it anyway.)

Also, I believe it was confirmed that 24bit does actually make a subtle audible difference, as it covers the very last bit of our hearing spectrum that we don't get otherwise. However, I do agree that 32bit doesn't make all that much of a difference at all unless you believe in digital headroom or something (that would be actually pretty funny.)

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #1,014 of 2,104
I'm up and running windows 8.1 now. Loving it so far. DAMN it's fast. 
and i'm playing around with listening to some DSD files. seems DSD128 is what this amp supports? oddly i'm having trouble having it play 256 or 512. no worries. I'm just trying to find the limitations.

the sound is incredible with all files to be honest. I'm happy. Thank you Kingwa for making an incredible piece of audio equipment.

on to more testing.
I'm curious what amps really are any better than this as I don't see any amount of money would make sound any more amazing.  :) 

endgame for me.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #1,015 of 2,104
So... I ended buying the NFB-28 and a Gustard H10. I know this sounds dumb, but can I use the NFB-28 as a DAC only? I bought a RCA cable, but I don't know in which inputs I should plug it.

Edit:

BTW, regarding volume levels (no gain), what is the preference here?

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #1,016 of 2,104
Depending on the model, there's a fixed output setting on your 28. Run it on P mode, RCA out to H10's inputs

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #1,018 of 2,104
Just set the 28 to whatever gives you the best volume range control on the H10, I doubt you'd run into clipping issues. How's the H10 compare to the 28's amp section?

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #1,020 of 2,104
Just set the 28 to whatever gives you the best volume range control on the H10, I doubt you'd run into clipping issues. How's the H10 compare to the 28's amp section?

To be fair, I don't know yet lol. What I know is that I'm enjoying it very much.  I'll try to compare it later.

And by P he means F :wink:

What do you mean? My amp only has P or H. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back