Audio-GD NFB-12
Feb 14, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #1,787 of 2,278

Quote:
It's not that it particularly bothers me.  A good sounding amp is a good sounding amp.  I don't plan on buying it because the word "warm" scares me away, which is unfortunate because only through listening to it myself could I know if it is too "warm" for my tastes.

The HF cutoff is more a nagging interest than anything else.  A curiosity. 

The bold line which I waiting for explanation from mr. kingwa.. we are the same way brother.

Feb 14, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #1,789 of 2,278
Well, I have to clear a point. I like NFB-12.
It's a well built DAC & AMP.
It's sound very good with my headphones from my sensitive Livewires Trip to my full size HE500.
It's just the USB receiver behaves abnormal in the measurement, and I wish to know where it go wrong.

If I don't like it, I'd have already take other DAC/AMP, wouldn't I?

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #1,790 of 2,278

Quote:
We must had the NDA with Tenor company, then we can applied the TE7022.
I don't want againest the law, We can't reveal about the TE7022 built in technology.
You are better send email ask Tenor company direct.

Now that Kingwa has revealed the TE7022's internal circuitry affects the FR and his non disclosure agreement, (NDA?) with Tenor limits his ability to reveal the specifics, I for one feel like we have an answer as to killKli's question. Going forward. I really look forward to members opinions and impressions regarding the newest version with the switches to change the filters easily. I think this upgrade came as a result of our feedback in this forum. I am sure there will once again be complaints regarding frequent upgrades as a "problem". However, I for one think when people suggest improvements, and the company responds, this is a good thing, not a problem. BTW, hopefully someone here can devise some circuitry/switches, perhaps mounted in the top panel, to enable this upgrade in the 2nd gen models that use the jumpers. Kingwa maybe?

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #1,791 of 2,278

Quote:
Now that Kingwa has revealed the TE7022's internal circuitry affects the FR and his non disclosure agreement, (NDA?) with Tenor limits his ability to reveal the specifics, I for one feel like we have an answer as to killKli's question. Going forward. I really look forward to members opinions and impressions regarding the newest version with the switches to change the filters easily. I think this upgrade came as a result of our feedback in this forum. I am sure there will once again be complaints regarding frequent upgrades as a "problem". However, I for one think when people suggest improvements, and the company responds, this is a good thing, not a problem. BTW, hopefully someone here can devise some circuitry/switches, perhaps mounted in the top panel, to enable this upgrade in the 2nd gen models that use the jumpers. Kingwa maybe?

I also like the frequent updates.  I might shoot an email to one of the audio-gd guys before buying to see if an update to any particular model would be out soon.

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #1,792 of 2,278

Mind giving some impression about the hd650 + nfb12? 
tongue.gif

I may be able to borrow a pair of hd600 and 650 in the next month. Kinda wondering if their "syrupy" sound sig will play nice with the nfb12
Quote:
It has a fair bit of power, so most headphones will be driven properly on it.
Depending on your budget there are quite a few options available. I personally have tried it with the HD 650, and I can tell that it's a good combination.
I think it would be wiser to ask the same question in the Headphone recommendations thread, they will be sure to point you in the right direction. Do mention a budget, though!

Feb 14, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #1,793 of 2,278

Quote:
tongue.gif

I may be able to borrow a pair of hd600 and 650 in the next month. Kinda wondering if their "syrupy" sound sig will play nice with the nfb12

Can't comment on the HD650 - will leave that to Tilpo - but IMO the HD600 does pair extremely well with the NFB-12.  I have the jumpered version, and am using the 4 x oversampling minimum phase softknee filter (good mix of clarity and warmth) - coax up to 24/96.  Detailing is nice, and with the slightly forward (but beautifully balanced) mid-range of the HD600, I find the NFB-12 to be a very good pairing.  It is a lot better than my E7/E9 set-up was.  More body.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #1,794 of 2,278

Quote:
tongue.gif

I know Tilpo thinks it's a good pairing, but I think the NFB12 really doesn't do justice to the HD650.  I like the NFB12 as a DAC and it's OK with my DT880/600's, but not really with HD650's.  I would use veiled as an adjective for HD650 with the NFB12, but not at all with Bottlehead Crack or Hifiman EF5.

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #1,795 of 2,278

Quote:
I know Tilpo thinks it's a good pairing, but I think the NFB12 really doesn't do justice to the HD650.  I like the NFB12 as a DAC and it's OK with my DT880/600's, but not really with HD650's.  I would use veiled as an adjective for HD650 with the NFB12, but not at all with Bottlehead Crack or Hifiman EF5.

Do you think it's because it's quite a warm dac/amp with a warm headphone?

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #1,797 of 2,278
Thanks.  Suspected that might be the case.  It actually sounds pretty good to me with the HD600's.  Sounded great on the DT880s (250 ohm) when I had them as well.  I also tried going RCA out to my PortaTube just to see how it would sound - and that was a really nice combo also.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #1,798 of 2,278

Quote:
Thanks.  Suspected that might be the case.  It actually sounds pretty good to me with the HD600's.  Sounded great on the DT880s (250 ohm) when I had them as well.  I also tried going RCA out to my PortaTube just to see how it would sound - and that was a really nice combo also.

Have you tried your HD600's or DT880's with an OTL tube amp?  I think that'll take both those cans to a different level altogether. My DT880/600's are fine on NFB-12 but much better on the Crack.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #1,799 of 2,278
I wonder how it would do as a dac plugged directly into the Matrix M Stage v2.

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #1,800 of 2,278

Quote:
Have you tried your HD600's or DT880's with an OTL tube amp?  I think that'll take both those cans to a different level altogether. My DT880/600's are fine on NFB-12 but much better on the Crack.

The Crack has always interested me - and probably will be something for the future. For now I'm going to replace my current IEMs so that will end up being the next big purchase for the first half of 2012 (SE535 ltd ed).  Was the Crack hard to build?  Would someone who has never soldered before handle it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back