Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jul 23, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #811 of 3,093
From the 15.32 thread...... http://www.head-fi.org/t/648386/audio-gd-nfb-15-32-delivery-impression-thread/15#post_9621461
Not got mine yet but maybe it has value to 11.32 users as well.....OP could not up his photo so he sent me it.
Quote:
Hey U guys... Want to to try something which help to improve the sound quality of this DAC !!!

This is something can be done with both 11.32 and 15.32 (my friend hav also try with other brand DAC)

** For the guy who did't used optical port **
1. Open up the case and just take out (unplug) optical connector plug !! U will see the different !!!
note that!! no special tools required just ur finger is enough or if u hav a big hand screw driver can help)

Short Conclusion
The Reason why sound change is because The optical port use the same 5V current as DACs chip as we know that even we didt use them but it will work all the time to dectect if the optical cable is connect or not. ____Skip long explanation ____ It disturb DAC chip .

For me after done this the sound is a lot more clear n smooth u can notice this different immediately !!!

In the case that u want to use optical cable or did't like new sound u can just plug it back whenever u want
** If anyone want the picture of what i hav done just PM me ur email ^^ **

Credit of this method to Thai Engineer that i know ^^

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #812 of 3,093
Quote:
From the 15.32 thread...... http://www.head-fi.org/t/648386/audio-gd-nfb-15-32-delivery-impression-thread/15#post_9621461
Not got mine yet but maybe it has value to 11.32 users as well.....OP could not up his
photo so he sent me it.

Quote:
Hey U guys... Want to to try something which help to improve the sound quality of this DAC !!!

This is something can be done with both 11.32 and 15.32 (my friend hav also try with other brand DAC)

** For the guy who did't used optical port **
1. Open up the case and just take out (unplug) optical connector plug !! U will see the different !!!
note that!! no special tools required just ur finger is enough or if u hav a big hand screw driver can help)

Short Conclusion
The Reason why sound change is because The optical port use the same 5V current as DACs chip as we know that even we didt use them but it will work all the time to dectect if the optical cable is connect or not. ____Skip long explanation ____ It disturb DAC chip .

For me after done this the sound is a lot more clear n smooth u can notice this different immediately !!!

In the case that u want to use optical cable or did't like new sound u can just plug it back whenever u want
** If anyone want the picture of what i hav done just PM me ur email ^^ **

Credit of this method to Thai Engineer that i know ^^

Kingwa would you please comment about this? Is it correct?

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #813 of 3,093
Jul 24, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #817 of 3,093
Quote:
how can i activate the DSD for SACD in foobar? I've installed the plugin, but when activated, no sound comes out. Can you help me? thanks

From the foobar menu:
File/Preferences/Tools/SACD
You select:
ASIO Driver Mode: PCM
PCM Volume: +0db
PCM Samplerate: 176400 (max)
DSD2PCM Mode: Direct Double Precision
Preferable Area: None

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #820 of 3,093
Alright wrt to the unplugging mod, I did try it. Didn't hear any difference...initially. Then I realized after a while that the details pop out more across the frequency. Its a little more forward. I can hear the background details in some songs more clearly, with a little more body and punch (for the songs that I demoed). It isn't a huge difference. Takes a while to notice. But ya I'd agree that its there. And I like it.

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #821 of 3,093
I think since the optical cable unplug mod is super simple, to avoid expectation bias, just pull the unit top off and get someone to plug the optical and unplug the optical out of sight and then you'd know for sure it is a detail/performance booster.
Also people talk about unit burn-in, but I think after reading the Audio-gd site the units are already burned in prior to shipping to customers.....so it must be "post-burn-in burn-in" then
o2smile.gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #822 of 3,093
Quote:
I think since the optical cable unplug mod is super simple, to avoid expectation bias, just pull the unit top off and get someone to plug the optical and unplug the optical out of sight and then you'd know for sure it is a detail/performance booster.
Also people talk about unit burn-in, but I think after reading the Audio-gd site the units are already burned in prior to shipping to customers.....so it must be "post-burn-in burn-in" then
o2smile.gif

We'd really like Kingwa to address the idea of change when optical out is disconnected. I'd bet dollar to donuts he tested this already.

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #823 of 3,093
Quote:
o2smile.gif

I have read that 100 hours are burned in when you purchase a new unit but another 200 hours needed to sound its best.

Cheers

Steve.

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #824 of 3,093
Got too itchy and ended up doing the optical unplug modification as well. Call me easily swayed by confirmation bias, but there does seem to be a boost to transparency. Also sine waves sound cleaner now, that I know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back