Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jul 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #781 of 3,093
Quote:

I've tried HE-500 with my NFB-11, and it was perfectly fine on high gain. 

Yeah it definitely is, it's just that the 11.32 is probably not working at Class A with an inefficient headphone like HE500.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #782 of 3,093
Quote:

Look at the pic above your post.

Hehe. I'm a little bit embarrassed.
redface.gif
 After I posted, I then took a closer look at your picture and noticed the RS2 with the nice buttons. 
gs1000.gif
 I was going to specifically ask you but then I thought I would give it a day or two before calling on you. 
normal_smile .gif

And how could I possibly forget that you are the most obvious member to call upon for commentary on Ultrasones, in this case, the Pro 900 with the 11.32? 
redface.gif

Could you share your experience with the 11.32 and the Pro 900 and the RS2? 

Thanks in advance!

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #783 of 3,093
Quote:

Thanks BenF !
Damn ,I just ordered and received stuff from them the other week so will have to pay shipping again !

I wonder if having USB at the computer contact in an optical chain set-up defeats the purpose of setting up a "hacked" optical chain to the gd....

I.E.

Clean 1) Mac mini is optical----->optical A-gd 11.32 input

but for those with no computer optical it is kind of a dirtier chain...

Dirty 2) computer USB---> Saber DAC or some USB to optical box--->optical----optical A-gd 11.32 input.

Also does the HifimeDIY USB Sabre DAC automatically switch into a pass-through mode when you attach optical to it so its ESS chip is not colouring the sound along with the A-gd 11.32 ESS chip ?

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #785 of 3,093
Quote:
Hehe. I'm a little bit embarrassed.
redface.gif
 After I posted, I then took a closer look at your picture and noticed the RS2 with the nice buttons. 
gs1000.gif
 I was going to specifically ask you but then I thought I would give it a day or two before calling on you. 
normal_smile%20.gif

And how could I possibly forget that you are the most obvious member to call upon for commentary on Ultrasones, in this case, the Pro 900 with the 11.32? 
redface.gif

Could you share your experience with the 11.32 and the Pro 900 and the RS2? 

Thanks in advance!

Hi Ray....Where ya been...long time.....
beerchug.gif

Yes sir, I kinda like the Ultrasones....
biggrin.gif

Well, in owning the 11.32 for about 10 months now and throwing various phones at it, the conclusion is this for me:

It will let your phones be what they intended to be.  No coloring, no detraction and lets them shine.  It is a detail monster without being harsh.  Reveals everything...Vocals are just awesome...
Lossy files will let you know they are lossy though.  The artifacts they are missing will be revealed, with no true extension to the music.  You feed it lossless and it will keep you very happy.

I have been using the PRO900s quite a bit recently with the 11.32.  Great match...The delicious bass is there of course but very controlled.  The transparency goes very well with the 'Sones in general.  In This Moment's A Star-Crossed Wasteland has been on repeat for a while.....This combo does love Maria's voice...lol

Cheers!!!

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #786 of 3,093
Someone said the optical connection sounded smoother a few pages back vs USB....
Quote:
Why aren't you just connecting straight to the 11.32's USB again?

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #788 of 3,093
Jul 19, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #789 of 3,093
Jul 19, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #790 of 3,093
Quote:

I use  Furutech Formula 2 USB A-B and a custom made glass toslink cable for the optical.

Nice, just bookmarked the Furutech in ebay.

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #791 of 3,093
Quote:
Thanks BenF !
Damn ,I just ordered and received stuff from them the other week so will have to pay shipping again !

I wonder if having USB at the computer contact in an optical chain set-up defeats the purpose of setting up a "hacked" optical chain to the gd....

I.E.

Clean 1) Mac mini is optical----->optical A-gd 11.32 input

but for those with no computer optical it is kind of a dirtier chain...

Dirty 2) computer USB---> Saber DAC or some USB to optical box--->optical----optical A-gd 11.32 input.

Also does the HifimeDIY USB Sabre DAC automatically switch into a pass-through mode when you attach optical to it so its ESS chip is not colouring the sound along with the A-gd 11.32 ESS chip ?

Don't worry about the "dirty" connection, it sounds great!
Hifimediy will switch automatically into optical mode when connected to NFB-11.32.
It's better to have the cable connected before you plug Hifimediy in, otherwise you may hear noises until you unplug/plug it back.

Hifimediy will only feed 11.32 at up to 48Khz, but it will still sound great.

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #792 of 3,093
Quote:

Don't worry about the "dirty" connection, it sounds great!
Hifimediy will switch automatically into optical mode when connected to NFB-11.32.
It's better to have the cable connected before you plug Hifimediy in, otherwise you may hear noises until you unplug/plug it back.

Hifimediy will only feed 11.32 at up to 48Khz, but it will still sound great.

Thanks BenF, just going the quality USB cable route now (+ the USB TCXO upgrade)  then my small USB SABRE DAC is free to be hooked up to desktop speakers vs exchanging optical and 3.5" every time I move between the two !

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #793 of 3,093
Quote:
Thanks BenF, just going the quality USB cable route now (+ the USB TCXO upgrade)  then my small USB SABRE DAC is free to be hooked up to desktop speakers vs exchanging optical and 3.5" every time I move between the two !

"Quality" USB cables are a waste of money. Even "quality" analog cables don't do anything, and digital ones have error correction protocols, making any noise irrelevant.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/303099/monster-cable-vs-coat-hanger

You can feed the headphones from the DAC "variable" output (with RCA-3.5mm cable) and use the HP output for speakers.

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #794 of 3,093
Also, if you're on Windows try using ASIO for the USB audio out and you might find that it sounds as smooth as coax/optical. I've noticed a difference between bit-perfect ASIO output and the default Windows sound mixer (which re-samples all of the system sounds into one stream, altering the signal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back