Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jul 16, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #751 of 3,093
FYI, you can get the HD650 for $425 shipped from RazorDogAudio.com (authorized dealer) with coupon code RAZORDOG75. AFAIK that's the lowest you can find them right now brand new from an authorized dealer.

Jul 16, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #753 of 3,093
Quote:
Quote:
Man the shipping was fast; just got these earlier today, installing drivers now.

Can you check optical vs USB? In my opinion, it sounds more "liquid" with optical (HE-400).

What are you using to send the audio over USB? ASIO? WASAPI?

Jul 16, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #754 of 3,093
Quote:
Can you check optical vs USB? In my opinion, it sounds more "liquid" with optical (HE-400).

Nah unfortunately my current PC setup doesn't have optical.

All I have to say atm is that I have a big stupid grin on my face listening to the new setup. Will take a while for me to collect my thoughts and say something constructive though.

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #756 of 3,093
Quote:
Neither, just plain USB.

Are you on Windows or Mac? If on Windows, try ASIO and see what you think.

http://www.asio4all.com/

EDIT: Looks like the asio4all site is down right now. You can get it from download.com. Its not the very latest version but very little has changed and it will sound just as good.

http://download.cnet.com/ASIO4ALL/3000-2120_4-75724497.html

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #757 of 3,093
Quote:
Nah unfortunately my current PC setup doesn't have optical.

All I have to say atm is that I have a big stupid grin on my face listening to the new setup. Will take a while for me to collect my thoughts and say something constructive though.

The Hifimediy Sabre DAC can drive NFB-11.32 through optical up to 24/48, "CM6631A 24bit/192khz USB to Coaxial Optical fiber by weiliang" can drive it at 24/96 http://diyhifishop.com/cm6631a-24bit192khz-usb-to-coaxial-optical-fiber-by-weiliang-p-72.html.
I don't hear difference between the two of them driving NFB-11.32, so the Hifimediy is probably a better deal (and a great DAC), but it's sold out...

Glad you are enjoying it, for me it's endgame as far the search for the best DAC goes. The built-in amplifier is great too, but it can't be used standalone.

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #758 of 3,093
Quote:
The Hifimediy Sabre DAC can drive NFB-11.32 through optical up to 24/48, "CM6631A 24bit/192khz USB to Coaxial Optical fiber by weiliang" can drive it at 24/96 http://diyhifishop.com/cm6631a-24bit192khz-usb-to-coaxial-optical-fiber-by-weiliang-p-72.html.
I don't hear difference between the two of them driving NFB-11.32, so the Hifimediy is probably a better deal (and a great DAC), but it's sold out...

Glad you are enjoying it, for me it's endgame as far the search for the best DAC goes. The built-in amplifier is great too, but it can't be used standalone.

Why do you need a DAC to drive the 11.32, it is a DAC? And in fact, uses a better Sabre chip than the Hifimediy.

I have A/B straight out of my HP connection on my MBP and thru the Hifimediy attached to the USB and found there is not much difference IMO.

Jul 16, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #759 of 3,093
Quote:
Why do you need a DAC to drive the 11.32, it is a DAC? And in fact, uses a better Sabre chip than the Hifimediy.

I have A/B straight out of my HP connection on my MBP and thru the Hifimediy attached to the USB and found there is not much difference IMO.

Hifimediy can be used as USB-to-SPDIF converter. No point using it as a DAC with NFB-11.32 - and it's even impossible.

Jul 16, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #760 of 3,093
Some loose preliminary first-impression (~2hr listening) notes:

HE500 + audioGD 11.32 notes
~how it feels to go from something that just drives HE500 loud enough, to something with actual clean power (and a good DAC to boot)~

Keywords: HE500, audio-GD, 11.32, sufficient, power, and, good, DAC, solve, everything

Treble – extends more gracefully, doesn’t sound as dulled but neither is it sharp; upper treble extension gains a ton more air

Midrange – Congestion is mostly nonexistent, mids ~ treble transition seems to be a lot smoother; vocals are much more effortless and bloom without being syrupy

Bass / sub-bass – where the power lends itself to the HE500’s needs the most; bass quantity is still the same but there is a lot more grunt and kick, and tightness (and consequently tactility) of the sub-bass that is previous lacklustre is now about on par with HE400…yep, the exceptional HE400 sub-bass tactility that I so respect is now matched by HE500.

Soundstage / imaging – still the smallest headstage of HE500s, but 3D depth is improved by a long shot; instead of somewhat of a “wall of sound”, it becomes a lot like a mini-theatre built around your head

Layering / separation – Another major benefit of the extra power; instrumental/vocal separation is much much more effortless, no trouble tracking minor background instruments in busy passages any more. Much thanks to the DAC.

Detail extraction – the Sabre ES9018 chip is pretteh, pretteh good. Yep.

Transparency / euphony – both are not mutually exclusive, and both are improved; HE500 is by itself a fairly euphonic-sounding headphone with its warm, lush relaxing sound signature, and coupled with the added transparency imparted here (due to the improvements in all aspects, especially that of improved midrange clarity, and of improved separation), euphony gets to a whole ‘nother level as well

Keep in mind these impressions are all with 2 important sonic mods I have on HE500 (full v2.0 Jergpads, and open regrilling mod).

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #763 of 3,093
might be an audio-gd thing. i have a nfb 12 and it gets hot too.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #764 of 3,093
Quote:
4 hours into use and it's getting really hot to touch. Is that normal?

Nice write up jerg.  Glad you are enjoying it.  Yes, the heat is normal.  I have it in an enclosed portion of my desk with no probs at all.  I have run it for hours and hours non-stop, especially when I first received it.

Cheers!!!

Jul 17, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #765 of 3,093
I can't remember if I asked this before, but has anyone ever heard the 11.32 with the Edition 8, Pro 900, Spirit One, ATH-ES10 or RS2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back