Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Nov 20, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #211 of 3,093
Well, after the first evening and overnight, this is really starting to sing. Woke up and listened briefly this morning....it sounds much more open and spacious. I will leave it going today as well. All in all, very impressive, especially for the price.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #213 of 3,093
Welcome to the club kev.

Thanks HeatFan12 - I'm listening to it now, and loving it. :). I think this is going to become a very expensive sideline to my 3 systems....

But it's only money, right?

And thanks for starting this thread. I was doing a Google search for a USB to SPDIF converter when I stumbled on this thread by accident, and it led to me purchasing the 11.32 as an impulse purchase. I'm so glad I did!

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #217 of 3,093
UPDATE FROM MY PREVIOUS POST:
Having been convinced that I loved the 32 Bit Sabre DAC & 32 Bit USB implementation from Audio-gd, I went ahead and sold my 11.32 two weeks after writing this...
Then I went back to Audio-gd and bought an NFB-6 AMP and NFB-1.32 DAC. I have had this fully balanced, fully discreet amp setup for about a month now and I am loving life big-time!
I am still using the Starlight USB cable for input to the 1.32 and now I get to use my Norse 4 wire balanced cables again with the massive power of the nfb-6. The sound quality, dynamics, power, and clarity are near perfect for my ears.I can now also listen to my vinyl again as the nfb-6 has many inputs RCA Analog being one of them...
I am also using the ACSS cable to connect DAC to Amp and I bought the crystal upgrades again as I believe in quality timing (again, I cannot compare because I always buy the upgrade ad have not heard it without). Someday I will try the XLR between DAC/AMP but right now I am so in love with the sound I am not even curious about the comparison between ACSS and XLR (again, I buy into ACSS for keeping detail between DAC & Amp in power domain instead of voltage).

BTW-The analog input from the same setup I have had for several years sounds better than it did with the V181, or WA6SE, or Yamamoto HA-01, or other amps I have gone through in the past 4 years...

Also BTW-This setup is very, very quiet background. The v800/v181 was supposed to be a quiet, dark background but the noise floor on this is better, and the volume control implementation of the NFB-6 is very accurate at lower volume levels, very impressive indeed.

Just wanted to update the post with the progression from 11.32 to 1.32/nfb-6 for people who might want to go down that path...
Quote:
NFB11.32 with TCXO for USB chip Impressions

Background: I previously owned the Ref 5 (with a WA6SE Amp), and NFB2 from Audio-gd and had moved to Violectric V800 DAC with V181 Amp because I wanted to have a balanced setup with my LCD2.

I recently sold my V800 DAC and my V181 is for sale in the forums.

Impressions: I've got to tell you, this DAC/AMP combo is an excellent setup for my LCD phones. I was worried about the dynamics without having a dedicated separate Amp but I am really enjoying my setup these past two weeks.The detail of the DAC is so revealing compared to the V800. It is really a pleasure to listen to my music and hear detail that went unnoticed previously. I tired the RCA optical with a Wireworld Silver Starlight Coax cable for a couple days, and then switched to USB. I like the sound from the 32 Bit USB more than I do the Optical. To me, it is a bit smoother sounding, less edgy on vocals, and the highs are a bit more revealing. That was enough for me to invest in a better USB cable to see if more could be revealed. I bought a wireworld starlight USB cable, and this past week have enjoyed a minor increase in an already revealing sound, with an even smoother sounding mid-range especially on vocals and stringed instruments. 

Since I still have the V181 Amp here, I thought I would check to see what the V181 sounded like with the NFB11.32 as a DAC. I set the input at USB and output at fixed and spent an hour or two A/B ing between the two Amps. The sound quality from the V181 is a bit better than the internal amp of the NFB11.32 but the difference is not enough for me to hang onto the V181 because of the difference. I noticed more of a jump in quality when I went from Optical to USB and another from going from cheapo USB to Starlight than I do going from NFB to V181 as an amp.

I am SUPER pleased with the sound quality of the NFB11.32 and I can honestly say, the $375 for the NFB11.32 is such an excellent value. If the V800 and V181 were only $375, I would still pick the sound signature of the NFB11.32 over the Violectric setup. But I am saying this based on what I enjoy in sound signatures. The violectric has more dynamic range in reproducing bass and strong passages, but for me, the smoothness and revealing sound signature of the NFB11.32 is more enjoyable over long listening periods than I have had for the past year with the Violectric setup, even though the Violectric is balanced, I think the single-ended sound of the NFB11.32 trumps it in terms of pure enjoyment of the music for me.

Please keep in mind, someone else listening to my setup may have the total opposite feeling about the sound as I do. I am passing this along to people that might have an LCD setup and are concerned about the sound coming from the NFB11.32. I am not sure if the clock crystal upgrade added to the quality, as I cannot A/B that. I bought it with the option purely from the point of view that it made sense because it added a better clock to the setup and USB is so clock sensitive. I cannot say what it would sound like had I not ordered the TCXO, only with it. I am truly impressed, really, really pleased with the sound. 

The only wish I would have for this, if I had a magic wand, would be to have an Analog input of the device. Since I have a TT setup also here at work, I will need to buy a secondary amp, perhaps a tube amp, for when I want to hear vinyl and that was something the V181 did very well for me and I miss that feature. But I knew this going in, and I wanted to try this because the 32Bit USB receiver with 32 bit DAC just made sense to me, and I have wanted to hear a 32 Sabre DAC since they were announced.

As always, please take what I say with a grain of salt, as my opinion is based on my impression, and not by an scientific measurement, or serious, critical comparison. It is just my opinion on what I like...

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #218 of 3,093
Quote:
Thanks HeatFan12 - I'm listening to it now, and loving it.
smily_headphones1.gif
. I think this is going to become a very expensive sideline to my 3 systems....
But it's only money, right?
And thanks for starting this thread. I was doing a Google search for a USB to SPDIF converter when I stumbled on this thread by accident, and it led to me purchasing the 11.32 as an impulse purchase. I'm so glad I did!

Cheers kev....!!! 
beerchug.gif

I used the i-20 for a while with the 11.32 and it sounded great indeed.  After moving things around the i-20 found it's new home with the A-GD FUN(A) and I paired my W8 laptop with the 11.32...A-GD products are fun indeed.....

Happy Thanksgiving to all and a quick phone pic of the FUN, i-20, A5s and tube buffer...Good times!!!

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #219 of 3,093
Because there are two users maybe have not read the guide careful and  flash the firmware fail and very unhappy, so we have remove the tool download link, if users want to flash the firmware please send email ask us send the tool, before flash the firmware , please read the guide careful.

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #220 of 3,093
Kingwa you are remowing download  of great and simple tool ,which many users including me used few times without any problem. The tool which improve and extend usage of USB-32  without any doubt, especialy for those who got first units. According to your advert you provide 2 firmware's along with every unit, so even in those 2 less fortunate gentlemens shattered one firmware , they always can use the spare one, so i do not understand phrase "Because there are two users maybe have not read the guide careful and flash the firmware fail and very unhappy". Its really hard to believe they both shattered both of their firmware's. Even so if it was the case, my uderstanding is they can buy the firmwares directly from you again. Still you should rather consider majority of users which can make this rahter simple task without any fuss. I urge you to reverse removal the firmware update tool download link from your site. First thing is to send mail asking for firmware  you need to know that tool exist and since you only posted either adverts and updates in only this very threat NFB-11.32, how other users of units with USB-32 input (which soon will be majority)can know about it, if tool is not advertised at your site?

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #221 of 3,093
I have one of the first batch, and have downloaded the update.But, I haven't done it yet. This makes me nervous, but if this improves the performance, I'm going to do it.

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #222 of 3,093
Kingwa you are remowing download  of great and simple tool ,which many users including me used few times without any problem. The tool which improve and extend usage of USB-32  without any doubt, especialy for those who got first units. According to your advert you provide 2 firmware's along with every unit, so even in those 2 less fortunate gentlemens shattered one firmware , they always can use the spare one, so i do not understand phrase "Because there are two users maybe have not read the guide careful and flash the firmware fail and very unhappy". Its really hard to believe they both shattered both of their firmware's. Even so if it was the case, my uderstanding is they can buy the firmwares directly from you again. Still you should rather consider majority of users which can make this rahter simple task without any fuss. I urge you to reverse removal the firmware update tool download link from your site. First thing is to send mail asking for firmware  you need to know that tool exist and since you only posted either adverts and updates in only this very threat NFB-11.32, how other users of units with USB-32 input (which soon will be majority)can know about it, if tool is not advertised at your site?

It's kingwa that feels he's liable, however its up to him how he wants to handle it, headfiers are more ambitious than a normal user, that's not to say they are all computer savy, but its his reputation is on the line, and this community is particularly responsive/sensitive to feedback on products so word gets around quickly. However I myself would probably advertise that this tool exists but like any motherboard manufacturer that has a bios update tool that may break functionality- add disclaimers - like an I Agree EULA not to sue or slander Kingwa yada yada etc .. as a result of attempting to download and update said product.

Anyways, firmware 4 is bundled with the newest driver minus the tool http://www.audio-gd.com/AudiogdUSB32ASIOv1.2forwin.rar

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #223 of 3,093
Been following all these updates and like Sparky I have one of the first batches and am still using v1 (version I installed when I first received the 11.32).

I'm just curious to know what performance is enhanced by doing these updates.  I know some folks have had some issues and I can see updating if that's the case but if it's working great, are these necessary?

Since receiving the 11.32, I have plugged her into Vista x86 & Vista x64, W7, XP and currently it's found its new home with my W8 laptop.  I have tried various audio renderers, players on all PCs and I play all types of files (16-44.1 to 32-192) which are all stored on my NAS.  I have yet to encounter any issues whatsoever and it sounds great across all of these.

But of course, curiosity is a biaaaatch and I have thought about trying this tool just to say I did, but I really don't see the benefit if the device is kickin' @ss with no problems...

Cheers!!!!!

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #224 of 3,093
We have applied this tool to flash the firmware chips in different computer and more than thousand times without problems .

I also intended flash a wrong file in the firmware chip (as a user describe ), then I can reflash the chip  succeed ,but he can't .

So do you think still have the link for download on web or just send the tool for who ask by email?

Thanks.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #225 of 3,093
Hi Kingwa,

My vote is to have it there for download, but just have a warning that people use and download at own risk. Personally I think it is less risky than people having to install firmware chips.

Cheers
Alex

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back