Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jun 28, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #3,016 of 3,093
I can't recall if this has been asked and answered, but when using NFB11.32 as a DAC only (Fixed output) the gain settings are active. Of course system synergies are important here, but generally I find High gain provides the better quality output, assuming it's not too hot for the amp. Is this a matter of personal preference or is there a technical reason for choosing one over the other? As an example, low gain works better with my Slee Ultra Linear to my ears, whereas I definitely prefer high gain with the others. Also, can anyone remind me of the output voltages for low and high gain on fixed out? I seem to recall 1V and 2.5V respectively?
Gain usually refers to the output of the headphone jack, not the line-outputs.
The 11.32 has a L & H setting for the headphone output.
Are you connecting the line-output (RCA) jacks on the 11.32 to the line-input (RCA) jacks on the Slee Ultra Linear.
Or are you connecting the 11.32 headphone jack to the line-input on the Slee Ultra Linear?
When the output of the 11.32 is set to Variable, the volume of the line-output (RCA) should be controlled by the volume knob.

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #3,017 of 3,093
The gain switch affects both the headphone AND the line outputs of the NFB11.32 when set to FIXED or VARIABLE.
Have you not noticed this on your NFB11.28?
Specs state 2.5V fixed out but do not mention gain. I assume low gain must be 1V.
To my ears high gain sounds significantly better but 2.5V is pretty hot into some amps, the Slee being one of them.
Doesn't allow for much volume travel past 9 - 10 range. The Ultra Linear has incredible power reserves.
Totally belies the published specs - I think Graham is taking the piss!

I'm using RCA out to RCA in - why would I do it any other way..? :relieved:

Jun 28, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #3,018 of 3,093
The gain switch affects both the headphone AND the line outputs of the NFB11.32 when set to FIXED or VARIABLE.
Have you not noticed this on your NFB11.28?
Specs state 2.5V fixed out but do not mention gain. I assume low gain must be 1V.
To my ears high gain sounds significantly better but 2.5V is pretty hot into some amps, the Slee being one of them.
Doesn't allow for much volume travel past 9 - 10 range. The Ultra Linear has incredible power reserves.
Totally belies the published specs - I think Graham is taking the piss!

I'm using RCA out to RCA in - why would I do it any other way..? :relieved:
Because some people will run a connection, from a headphone output jack, to the line-input on another amplifier.
Does not happen often, but it does happen.
I switched from a NFB-11.28 last year, to a Topping DX7S, wanted to try a balanced headphone jack.
Never really used the RCA output jacks.
So somewhat out of touch with Audio-GD features.

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #3,019 of 3,093
The NFB11.32 is an extremely capable and fine sounding preamp when used with active speakers, in my case KRK Rokit 6G2 (aka the Metalhead's Choice) :L3000:
Output is very clean indeed in Variable setting. I think ACSS may have something to do with that.
I think this may also explain why the unit sounds better at high gain as distortion levels are still very low.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #3,020 of 3,093
I switched from a NFB-11.28 last year, to a Topping DX7S, wanted to try a balanced headphone jack.

@PurpleAngel Ever since audiosciencereview.com came out with their reviews of Audio-Gd products, I've always wondered how my NFB-11.28 (bought 2018) compares to a Topping device that has objectively good measurements on ASR. Overall, do you think the Topping sounds any better than the NFB?

I'm not so much interested in specific comparisons like how they sound (warm, neutral, etc., but feel free to describe). I'm just curious if a device with lower noise/distortion ratings like the Topping DX7S actually sounds subjectively better than the NFB, in your opinion of course. Thanks

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #3,021 of 3,093
@PurpleAngel Ever since audiosciencereview.com came out with their reviews of Audio-Gd products, I've always wondered how my NFB-11.28 (bought 2018) compares to a Topping device that has objectively good measurements on ASR. Overall, do you think the Topping sounds any better than the NFB?

I'm not so much interested in specific comparisons like how they sound (warm, neutral, etc., but feel free to describe). I'm just curious if a device with lower noise/distortion ratings like the Topping DX7S actually sounds subjectively better than the NFB, in your opinion of course. Thanks
I liked the DX7s, but the USB gets flaky and one of the balanced headphone channels stopped working, so I'm back to the NFB-11.28.
Which works fine for me :)

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #3,022 of 3,093
I’ve been doing some research but can’t seem to wrap my head around this. I setup my NFB11 (9018) many years back and followed instructions then which leveraged ASIO. I now want to experiment with Equaliser APO and understand this conflicts with ASIO/WASAPI which is meant to sent the untouched stream to DACs. Sorry if this is silly, can I use the NFB1- without ASIO so I can use equaliser APO with it?

Jan 1, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #3,023 of 3,093
I’ve been doing some research but can’t seem to wrap my head around this. I setup my NFB11 (9018) many years back and followed instructions then which leveraged ASIO. I now want to experiment with Equaliser APO and understand this conflicts with ASIO/WASAPI which is meant to sent the untouched stream to DACs. Sorry if this is silly, can I use the NFB1- without ASIO so I can use equaliser APO with it?
Yes, you can.

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #3,024 of 3,093
HI Guys wanted to ask your thoughts on the NFB11.38P on the highest spec? Is it still a good amp to get? it is slightly above what i would like to spend but i'm happy to save up and wait a bit more to get this....also i'm using sundaras, will these drive them well? Reason being is there are so many YT reviews that are recommending different things like the modi/magni, topping stuff etc so i wanted to know how these are in real life vs what youtubers are supposedly describing. I prefer a clean and detailed sound. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #3,025 of 3,093
HI Guys wanted to ask your thoughts on the NFB11.38P on the highest spec? Is it still a good amp to get? it is slightly above what i would like to spend but I'm happy to save up and wait a bit more to get this....also I'm using Sundaras, will these drive them well? Reason being is there are so many YT reviews that are recommending different things like the Modi/Magni, topping stuff etc so i wanted to know how these are in real life vs what youtubers are supposedly describing. I prefer a clean and detailed sound. Thanks.
I'm on my third Audio-GD unit (NFB-15.32, NFB-15, NFB-11.28), no regrets buying them.
But you could just go with a stack of Schiit (Modi/Magni) or JDS labs Atom stack.
I've listened to the Schiit and it's a good value, guessing the Atom is too.

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #3,026 of 3,093
I'm on my third Audio-GD unit (NFB-15.32, NFB-15, NFB-11.28), no regrets buying them.
But you could just go with a stack of Schiit (Modi/Magni) or JDS labs Atom stack.
I've listened to the Schiit and it's a good value, guessing the Atom is too.
Thanks for your input, is the nfb 11 better sounding than the stacks you've mentioned? I'm in Malaysia so the American stuff are overpriced due to postage, customs etc but the chifi stuff like topping, aune, and the audio gd stuff are easily accesible....what would you recommend? I'm currently using sundaras atm

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #3,027 of 3,093
Thanks for your input, is the NFB 11 better sounding than the stacks you've mentioned? I'm in Malaysia so the American stuff are overpriced due to postage, customs etc but the chifi stuff like topping, Aune, and the Audio-GD stuff are easily accesible....what would you recommend? I'm currently using Sundaras atm
For the price, Xduoo XD-05 basic.
Or the regular XD-05.

Jan 24, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #3,028 of 3,093
I'm very pleased with my NFB11 R2R. It's beaten in my Hifi by the NFB10.32 in balanced mode, but I've but compared them in single ended mode, nor have I actually used them as headphone amps for any length of time as I have a very nice Iota Audio 2 box amp I use.

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #3,029 of 3,093
In case anybody from Audio-GD is listening:

While your hardware is fantastic, the information and updates regarding the software doesn't seem that great.

The Amanero website offers a more recent driver for the Amanero Combo384 than the download that the Audio-GD website has available.
Amanero has version 1.067 available, but Audio-GD only has 1.062
Should we stay at 1.062, or should we update to 1.067?
Is there a version history available so that a user can decide himself if he should update?

On your website regarding the Amanero USB receiver, there is an article about updating it's firmware.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/Amanero/AmaneroEN.htm
But it doesn't mention what Audio-GD devices it is applicable to, and it doesn't say anything about what the benefits or reason would be to update the firmware.
The (copied) tutorial only mentions some "DI20-HE"
What is a DI20-HE?
Is the firmware only for that device?
If so, why do you put this information on your general Amanero page?

Again, I love your hardware.
But I think it would be good if you could put some of that dedication and effort in the software/driver department too.

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #3,030 of 3,093
Hi, yes to use Amanero fw, get the "CPLD 1081 with DSD swapped channels already swapped" and "firmware_2006Be11"

They (Amanero/Audio-gd) are working on a firmware optimized for audio and conveniance

/Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back