Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Nov 26, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #1,517 of 3,093
  Thanks, man.

One more thing..

Do I leave this setting as is on CD quality? 2 channel, 16bit 44.1kHz..

I have all the following sample rates ticked under Supported Formats: 44.1, 48, 96, and 192kHz. Encoded formats: DTS Audio, Dolby Audio. 

I use foobar2000, and in the output menu I'm using Realtek Digital Ouput, I'm not using WASAPI because of the lag between changing tracks and Windows compatibility issues. 

Does this all sound about right, or I should change something? Thanks alot. 

Set it to 24 bit 44.1 Hz if most of your music is 44.1 Hz
  As i don't follow this topic regularly, does anybody know if a solution for the blue screens, when watching YouTube, was found ???

I haven't seen any solutions yet. I also have regular blue screens from the Via driver, but mine are random and I think not related to youtube.

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #1,518 of 3,093
you' re right, it is not only in YT, sometimes i have blues also when watching video clips [taken by my phone] in windows media player ... 

the good thing is that I never have blues while ''Foobar-ing'', which is the most important  ...

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #1,519 of 3,093
  it doesn't matter what you' re choosing under windows, since foobar takes exclusive control of the device, hence what is matter is what you choose as output in foobar ...

if you don't use wasapi then the only other right (soundwise) solution is KS ... not Realtek Digital Ouput ...

KS? I dont see that under output. I only see WASAPI and Digital Output.

Whats wrong with Digital output? 

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #1,520 of 3,093
  KS? I dont see that under output. I only see WASAPI and Digital Output.

Whats wrong with Digital output? 

Usually is better to use direct streaming output (ASIO, WASAPI, KS) instead of Direct Sound  (DS). The streaming is bypassing windows mixer and allows bit-exact playback. It is not a problem to use DS - Digital output, but is better if you use ASIO or WASAPI. I don't recommend Kernel streaming (KS) if you use Windows 7 or 8, because it is old method created for Windows XP. For Windows 7/8 use WASAPI (event), ASIO or if you have problems with them is OK to use DS. For ASIO you need to install drivers and Foobar plugin.
Hope that helps.

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #1,521 of 3,093

Usually is better to use direct streaming output (ASIO, WASAPI, KS) instead of Direct Sound  (DS). The streaming is bypassing windows mixer and allows bit-exact playback. It is not a problem to use DS - Digital output, but is better if you use ASIO or WASAPI. I don't recommend Kernel streaming (KS) if you use Windows 7 or 8, because it is old method created for Windows XP. For Windows 7/8 use WASAPI (event), ASIO or if you have problems with them is OK to use DS. For ASIO you need to install drivers and Foobar plugin.
Hope that helps.

Thank you for explaining!

I have issues with WASAPI that is why I opted to DS. 

You said it doesnt matter what settings I keep in Windows, correct? I opted for 2 channel 24 bit 44.1kHz, is this ok?

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #1,522 of 3,093
  Thank you for explaining!

I have issues with WASAPI that is why I opted to DS. 

You said it doesnt matter what settings I keep in Windows, correct? I opted for 2 channel 24 bit 44.1kHz, is this ok?

It matter for DS, so keep it at 24 bit 44.1.

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #1,523 of 3,093
I can confirm that at least on the NFB7 the USB sounds much better than the optical [optical out from my Creative Blaster Z].
I compared the two yesterday and the USB is easily the better sounding input, in comparison optical sounds boomy and just all over the place unbalanced...

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #1,524 of 3,093
Someone should try it on NFB-11, because the implementation matters.

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #1,526 of 3,093
  i am planning to buy the NFB-11, can i use different op amps like these for example?

No, you can not use those, because NFB-11 does not use opa in the amp part.
"Fully  discrete analog stages without any OPA and couple caps in the signal channels."

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #1,527 of 3,093
Hey guys

Is there a way to reduce the volume out over USB to the unit, I use the unit as digital preamp and for headphones but the volume difference between optical input and usb is massive

I use foobar and don't want to reduce the volume there as this will reduce the resolution of the music.  When listening to music through my speakers with the unit set to USB I can't turn the volume past 8 o'clock without it being too loud, it feels like my mono block power amps aren't really hitting their stride.  If I play through the optical connection, I can turn the preamp (11.32) up to 12 o'clock and the music has much great dynamics. 

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Matt

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #1,528 of 3,093
  Hey guys

Is there a way to reduce the volume out over USB to the unit, I use the unit as digital preamp and for headphones but the volume difference between optical input and usb is massive

I use foobar and don't want to reduce the volume there as this will reduce the resolution of the music.  When listening to music through my speakers with the unit set to USB I can't turn the volume past 8 o'clock without it being too loud, it feels like my mono block power amps aren't really hitting their stride.  If I play through the optical connection, I can turn the preamp (11.32) up to 12 o'clock and the music has much great dynamics. 

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Matt

I also want to use my windows volume, but it seems that audio-gd locked that options in the new driver. The only way to make the windows volume to work is to install older firmware/driver. If you wanna do that, send email to audio-gd and ask which one you need for your unit.
Why you want to use USB, what's wrong with your optical?

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #1,529 of 3,093
Thanks Jakkal

I don't really want to use Windows volume as I believe doing this in the digital domain actually compresses the music, and you get rounding errors. 

I really wanted to check there wasn't a way to attenuate the signal from the USB input to the preamp circuit in the 11.32 itself

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #1,530 of 3,093
Actually as far as I know when using 24/32 bit depth your windows volume don't reduce the sound quality, you have enough bits above 16 to play with.
I don't know another way to attenuate the signal from the USB, let someone else chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back