1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by heatfan12, Aug 25, 2012.
First

Back
91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100
102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111
Next

Last
  1. Boogirl
    I am currently pairing the Q701 and Audio GD NFB 15. 

I have recently purchased the AKG K712 pro, and was wondering whether it would be better to pair these with the Audio GD NFB 15 or  Audio GB NFB 11? I don't currently own the NFB 11 and still waiting for the K712s to arrive, and was looking for some advice regarding which of these amps would be best, and whether the NFB 11 was worth buying?

The Q701 with the NFB 15 – in comparison to the NFB 11 – is said to be a good combination, because the NFB 15 deals with the Q701 "shrillness" some claim to experience and dislike in the top end. Compared to the colder more analytical NFB 11, the warmness of the NFB 15 is said to balance out the somewhat dry, analytical Q701 sound; hence the NFB 15 is said to offer body to the Q701s, which also benefits their bass lightness. 

However, for the K712 pros, I was wondering if the NFB 11 might actually be the better of the two DAC/AMPS to pair it with? The K712s have a warmer and darker sound than the Q701s, therefore the more analytical NFB 11 (with no filtering its upper frequencies) presumably would be better for them?

Since the K712s are known to have a more intimate sound stage than the Q701s, I also presume that the more analytical NFB 11 sound is going to help with sound separation?

2. theriel
    Hello,
    Having just received NFB-11 (and loving it), I have a quick question - what is the consensus on the correct configuration of the PC? The information in this thread seems to be contradictory. I would like to use it for music (foobar, mostly), but also sporadically for movies and games.

I have always thought that the rule of thumb is to go for 16/44.1 (most of records), but some people in this thread have been recommending 32/192 or even 32/384. I run it via USB, so all these configurations are theoretically supported.

Also - should I select the frequencies only in foobar (e.g. using ASIO), or should I also configure the windows sound somehow?

Thank you for clarification and help.

3. Jakkal

As far as I know the new USB-32 audio-gd dacs are set in the new firmware/driver to use 32bit only. In windows you can also set it to 32bit or 24bit and if most of your music is 44.1 Hz leave it to that.
    You can change this settings in windows. For Windows 7 go Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Manage Audio Devices->Audio-gd->Properties->then click on the Advanced tab.
    When you use Foobar with ASIO is bypassing the windows settings.

4. theriel
    Jakkal - thank you for the response! But it doesn't tell me which frequency I should just choose and forget about it :).

So, to ask differently - is there any problem with setting foobar and windows to 32/192, if I ultimately end up playing 16/44.1 music or some bluray movies (which I believe have much higher frequencies)? (I imagine the bits will be just doubled, which won't add any additional information to the sound, but it will not hurt it...?).

Basically, if I wanted to err on the side of caution and look for "one size fits all" solution - should I choose higher bitrate and frequency or lower?

5. Jakkal
    No problem to set it to 32/192 and forget it. I have mine set to 24/44.1. Just don't set it to 16 bit.

6. jonnyt
    Hi All,

I have decided to get an 11.32 for use with my PC and have a couple of questions.
    The unit will be driving some powered speakers and a pair of HD650s.
    It will be equally used for watching video, playing games and listening to music (mainly 320mbps and some lossless from itunes.

Firstly, my PC runs Windows7 64bit, am I better off running an optical cable or a USB from my motherboard to the 11.32?
    Secondly, should I bother with the TCXO upgrade?
    Thirdly, once plugged in, what are the basics, download the latest drivers and go? Or get myself Foobar and start playing with sampling rates?

I'm sure these questions are answered in the thread but I've spent a couple of hours reading and am still not sure as the thread has got so huge.
    Cheers

7. genclaymore
    When I had the NFB15.32 I didn't have any issues with the USB input when it came to playing games and it worked pretty well for that, The TCXO upgrade is worth it, but I do not recall if it just for the USB input and not the other inputs,You can try out the other input's to see how it sound to you as different people will have different results because of what they would be using to plug into the optical/Coax input of the unit, I used optical my self but only because I used a Asus Xonar DG at the time of owning the unit was for the sound card gaming dsp. Just get the latest drivers off audio-gd site and install them, then config foobar and enjoy.

8. PurpleAngel Contributor

I believe on the Audio-GD website it states the single TXCO in the NFB-15 works with USB, optical & coaxial.
    Where as the NFB-11 comes with two TXCOs.

9. PurpleAngel Contributor

Audio-GD recommends using the USB connection for music, so I'm assuming Audio-GD consider the USB connection to offer the best audio quality.
    USB bypasses sound card features, where as the S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) will work with the sound card features (like headphone surround sound).
    So I usually connect my NFB-15.32 using the optical connection, your NFB-11 should function the same.
    Might as well spend the $40 for the TXCO upgrades, as your making an investment into something you will use and keep for years.
    Better to have Audio-GD install and test the TCXOs while it's still at the factory.
    Instead of ordering the TCXO at some later day and you have to install them yourself and then having something not work.

10. jrodefeld
    I just got the Audio-gd NFB-11 dac/amp.  Just was delivered a few hours ago.  I'm using Hifiman HE-400 headphones.  I am curious what the general break-in time is for the NFB-400 to sound its best?  

Does the sound improve significantly over time?  It sounds good now, only a couple hours in.  Maybe a little harsh on some tracks.  

Do you guys use high gain or low?  I'm connecting it through USB, using Foobar with the WASAPI output set for 32bit.  Are there any other settings or recommendations for optimizing SQ?

Thanks.

11. PurpleAngel Contributor

Not sure of a break in time for the NFB-11 or HE-400 headphones.
    But using Forbar2000 with WASAPI seems to like a good choice.

12. exhibitO
    Is this true? I was under the impressions optical cable bypasses soundcard and has the same quality for listening to music as the USB option.

Can you confirm this? I'm running my NFB-11 with Optical, should I go USB? I was concerned about driver and compatibility issues. 

13. Jakkal
    My advice is to stick with optical and don't mess with the horrible Via usb drivers. Sound quality should be the same.

14. exhibitO
    Thanks, man.

One more thing..

Capture.png

Do I leave this setting as is on CD quality? 2 channel, 16bit 44.1kHz..

I have all the following sample rates ticked under Supported Formats: 44.1, 48, 96, and 192kHz. Encoded formats: DTS Audio, Dolby Audio. 

I use foobar2000, and in the output menu I'm using Realtek Digital Ouput, I'm not using WASAPI because of the lag between changing tracks and Windows compatibility issues. 

Does this all sound about right, or I should change something? Thanks alot. 

15. SpirosG
    it doesn't matter what you' re choosing under windows, since foobar takes exclusive control of the device, hence what is matter is what you choose as output in foobar ...

if you don't use wasapi then the only other right (soundwise) solution is KS ... not Realtek Digital Ouput ...

First

Back
91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100
102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111
Next

Last