Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jun 30, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #1,307 of 3,093
This thing gets really hot, anyone had overheating issues with it?

I have it on for roughly six hours every day.

I have had mine on for over 12 hours with no problems before, as far as I'm aware designed to run hot and the casing acts as a heat sink to dissipate the heat.

My NAD amp also gets hot so I never really saw this as an issue, I wouldn't worry too much about it just ensure that it has decent airflow and don't cover up the vents on the top

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #1,308 of 3,093
I have had mine on for over 12 hours with no problems before, as far as I'm aware designed to run hot and the casing acts as a heat sink to dissipate the heat.

My NAD amp also gets hot so I never really saw this as an issue, I wouldn't worry too much about it just ensure that it has decent airflow and don't cover up the vents on the top

There are no vents on top, I have the 11.32, version 2? maybe I should drill some holes.

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #1,311 of 3,093
Speaking of this..I got to wondering what would happen if one was able to raise the lid a little higher to allow air-flow into the case without actually drilling vent holes. Maybe some rubber washers between the lid and the case and longer screws could be used to lift the lid just enough to create a gap.

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #1,312 of 3,093
Hi everyone,
I was looking to buy a NFB 11 to pair with my LCD2 but recently I had someone offer me their NFB5.
Is there much difference in the NFB5 compared to NFB11? I know the DAC chips are different, but I can't seem to find a lot of opinions with regards the NFB5, it is clearly no where near as popular as the NFB11.
Any opinions would be appreciated.

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #1,313 of 3,093
Hi everyone,
I was looking to buy a NFB 11 to pair with my LCD2 but recently I had someone offer me their NFB5.
Is there much difference in the NFB5 compared to NFB11? I know the DAC chips are different, but I can't seem to find a lot of opinions with regards the NFB5, it is clearly no where near as popular as the NFB11.

If it's good then you can be sure it'll be popular on HeadFi :wink:

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #1,314 of 3,093
Hi everyone,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/562997/audio-gd-nfb-5-9-switchable-filters

It was discontinued a while back but lots of happy customers.

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #1,315 of 3,093
If it's good then you can be sure it'll be popular on HeadFi
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/562997/audio-gd-nfb-5-9-switchable-filters

It was discontinued a while back but lots of happy customers.

Thank you both of your input, although there seems to be quite a number of happy customer the product life was very short which might be an indication that it was not a commercial success for Audio GD and hence explaining why being discontinued so quickly. There are probably other similar alternatives that are current and may seem to be more popular in the forum I'd imagine. I might just go for the NFB11 and be done with, you'll never know.

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #1,316 of 3,093
Hi. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has experience using the the Audio-GD NFB-11/15 with AKG Q701s. I am new to this game and am looking for a good headphone amp to pair with my AKGs Q701s. I will mainly be listening to Classical music off my Macbook so initially was looking at the Modi/Vali stack but I am more drawn to the Audio-GD because of its better input options.

I have also read that it is a superior piece of tech musically. Is the Audio GD NFB 11/15 actually better than the Vali/Modi SQ wise, or are we actually just talking about musical taste?

If you do recommend, then would 11 or the 15 be a better match for the Q701s. I have seen some comparisons, but they always seem to be with Modi/Magni stack. Would appreciate hearing from someone who has compared the Audio GD NFB with Vali/Modi, especially to drive the Q701, but any general advice would be appreciated

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #1,317 of 3,093
  Hi. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has experience using the the Audio-GD NFB-11/15 with AKG Q701s. I am new to this game and am looking for a good headphone amp to pair with my AKGs Q701s. I will mainly be listening to Classical music off my Macbook so initially was looking at the Modi/Vali stack but I am more drawn to the Audio-GD because of its better input options.

I have also read that it is a superior piece of tech musically. Is the Audio GD NFB 11/15 actually better than the Vali/Modi SQ wise, or are we actually just talking about musical taste?

If you do recommend, then would 11 or the 15 be a better match for the Q701s. I have seen some comparisons, but they always seem to be with Modi/Magni stack. Would appreciate hearing from someone who has compared the Audio GD NFB with Vali/Modi, especially to drive the Q701, but any general advice would be appreciated

PM Stillhart. You can usually find him over in the Mad Lust Envy gaming headphone thread. 

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #1,318 of 3,093

Hello Boogirl,
As for some general feedback on the Vali/Modi combo with the Q701's , I will try to shed a little light on the subject, from my perspective.
Please understand that this is purely from my personal perspective so YMMV.
As you know, the Q701's are a very bright/revealing headphone and very sensitive to source and recording quality. When paired with the Vali/Modi combo, they are VERY revealing so your source had better be good, but if it is, it is a very satisfying listen and reveals great detail about the music that you are listening to. I find the combo particularly pleasing with female vocals, particularly gruff/smokey vocals like Janiva Magniss, Long Tall Deb, Joanna Shaw Taylor, Karen Lovely, et al. It seems to peel away a layer in the music that is not easily revealed with other headphone/amp/dac combos. In fact, I am listening to Meg Hutchinson (Come Up Full-I'd Like To Know) and it is quite sublime. I find the Vali/Modi combo to be quite laid back and dark with most headphones(particularly the HD650's) but very nice with the Q701's. There are better combos for the Q701's but they are quite a bit more expensive than the Vali/Modi combo but I find the Vali/Modi combo punches well above it's price point and the Q701's are a nice partner to this combo and you could do a lot worse, in my opinion. 
Sorry I couldn't shed any light on the Audio-Gd combo as I don't have it in my listening arsenal but intend to add some Audio-Gd gear in the future.
I hope this has been helpful to you. Cheers.

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #1,319 of 3,093
  Hello Boogirl,
As for some general feedback on the Vali/Modi combo with the Q701's , I will try to shed a little light on the subject, from my perspective.
Please understand that this is purely from my personal perspective so YMMV.
As you know, the Q701's are a very bright/revealing headphone and very sensitive to source and recording quality. When paired with the Vali/Modi combo, they are VERY revealing so your source had better be good, but if it is, it is a very satisfying listen and reveals great detail about the music that you are listening to. I find the combo particularly pleasing with female vocals, particularly gruff/smokey vocals like Janiva Magniss, Long Tall Deb, Joanna Shaw Taylor, Karen Lovely, et al. It seems to peel away a layer in the music that is not easily revealed with other headphone/amp/dac combos. In fact, I am listening to Meg Hutchinson (Come Up Full-I'd Like To Know) and it is quite sublime. I find the Vali/Modi combo to be quite laid back and dark with most headphones(particularly the HD650's) but very nice with the Q701's. There are better combos for the Q701's but they are quite a bit more expensive than the Vali/Modi combo but I find the Vali/Modi combo punches well above it's price point and the Q701's are a nice partner to this combo and you could do a lot worse, in my opinion. 
Sorry I couldn't shed any light on the Audio-Gd combo as I don't have it in my listening arsenal but intend to add some Audio-Gd gear in the future.
I hope this has been helpful to you. Cheers.

Thanks for this. I almost went for the Vali/Modi stack based on the good reports it has paired with the Q701s, but when I sent an email asking a question they were nonchalant (at best) about answering it and didn't even answer it properly. In the end I went with the Audio NFB 15 based on the advice of other head-fier and also a really good customer service experience with Audio GD, who actually did answer my questions. Ironically Audio GD spoke better English than Schiit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back