Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jun 8, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #1,276 of 3,093
Uh-oh, my 11.32's internal transformer just decided to overheat today, enough to liquify all the adhesives inside (now my room smells like burnt rubber) and just stop functioning. I opened the thing up and am trying to cool down the transformer right now with some bags of ice, hopefully it didn't completely brick the unit.

Edit: after the cooling down, it worked okay for about 10 mins before overheating again and cutting out and dying. I think the toroidal transformer is borked. Dang, guess I gotta send it back for repair/replacement.

Jun 9, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #1,277 of 3,093
Uh-oh, my 11.32's internal transformer just decided to overheat today, enough to liquify all the adhesives inside (now my room smells like burnt rubber) and just stop functioning. I opened the thing up and am trying to cool down the transformer right now with some bags of ice, hopefully it didn't completely brick the unit.

Edit: after the cooling down, it worked okay for about 10 mins before overheating again and cutting out and dying. I think the toroidal transformer is borked. Dang, guess I gotta send it back for repair/replacement.

That sucks man ;/
Hopefully you get it sorted out soon.
Also, hope a similar thing won't happen to my C2...

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #1,278 of 3,093
Has anyone tried using a USB 2.0 Hub? I read that somewhere in this thread that it solved numerous playback problems for someone, as supposedly there are problems with some DACs and USB 3.0 ports, although Kingwa mentions not to use a USB hub when connecting the nfb11 to your computer. I cant really test a USB 2.0 port because my laptop doesn't have any...

I really do wish that Kingwa hired someone who could code the drivers that he can actually keep in constant contact with, possibly add him/her to the team; when the DAC does work, it sounds beautiful (definitely an improvement over the Fiio E17 with hfreq and lfreq extension, detail retrieval, and a more even imaging where small details aren't muted or veiled and put in the background), but this occurs too rarely. The main problem i'm experiencing is switching between youtube, spotify, and foobar, and that when no signal is sent to the nfb11 for a few minutes, it won't accept signal anymore until I manually reset it as the default playback device through windows. Oh, and the popping sound right before playback is a bit annoying and worrying as well.

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #1,279 of 3,093
Doesn't work with the Audio-gd unit's they are not even seen by the computer when you use them thru hubs, I tried and it was no go atleast for me with the 15.32. I wanted to use a usb 2.0 hub as I have flaky usb ports. But nope, unless it was just the hub that i had that didn't work with it.

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #1,280 of 3,093
I just got yesterday my NFB11, after getting the drivers installed it seems to work properly (windows 7, USB 2). The dac seems to make the click sound when it starts to play first time, and few times after switching the media player i had to flip the default playback device to get it working again. I hope this won't happen to often... 

As for the sound, its clearly a huge improvement over my Fiio E17 and LD I+ combo. With my HE-400 i get nice punchy bass and better detail. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #1,282 of 3,093
I have been looking at either the NFB 11, and Compass 2 to power my HE400's but been holding out waiting to see how HE400i/560 release pans out and for more impressions (it looks like its going to be a nightmare getting them in the UK). I currently use a NAD D 3020 to power my he400's and it doesn't really have enough power.

I'm currently leaning towards NFB 11 but was just wanting some advice on if the NFB 11 would be sufficient for possible HE560 upgrade in the future or if the compass 2 is worth the extra £130 or so (I think I would stick with the ES9018, and not sure if I would use the analogue line in)

Jun 16, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #1,283 of 3,093
  I have been looking at either the NFB 11, and Compass 2 to power my HE400's but been holding out waiting to see how HE400i/560 release pans out and for more impressions (it looks like its going to be a nightmare getting them in the UK). I currently use a NAD D 3020 to power my he400's and it doesn't really have enough power.

I'm currently leaning towards NFB 11 but was just wanting some advice on if the NFB 11 would be sufficient for possible HE560 upgrade in the future or if the compass 2 is worth the extra £130 or so (I think I would stick with the ES9018, and not sure if I would use the analogue line in)

Both will drive the HE-560 well. Compass2 will sound more refined. If you don't need line in, then the NFB11 I guess...
Only heard the Compass2, not the NFB11 though! C2 is stellar, that's a given.

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #1,285 of 3,093
Hi Francisk & All

Just received my NFB 11 yesterday ... that was a long run because the unit was out of stock and production was delayed because of the release of the 2014 model.
Just out of the box I tried first plugged to my computer ... after having installed the driver worked fine.
Then I tried with my iPad ... and :frowning2: no sound in my headphones.

The unit was well detected by iOS which shown Via USB device .... but no sound.
Reading here and there on AUDIO GD site I've mentionned they do not powered the USB with +5v to avoid noise

So today I tried with a powered USB HUB ... and :) now it works.
iOS detect the NFB as a generic USB device ... but it works

I don't know the difference with your case as I remember you did plug it straight from your iPhone and it worked.

Maybe a change they did with model 2014 or on the apple side  ?... I'm using a lightning connector while you used an iPhone 4

To provide feedback and in case this may help others looking for paying from an iOS device to NFB 11 (2014)

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #1,287 of 3,093
Thanks for your reply - my CCK is genuine as well 

Sounds this is linked to the +5v - the iPad doesn't supply the power on the CCK while the computer do.
Going thru a powered USB HUB add the +5v and this seems to make the NFB 11 happy

Will ask Kingwa from Audio GD ...

... a bit cumbersome to use a HUB + power supply + 2 cables .... but at least it works 

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #1,288 of 3,093
I'm glad the power hub works for you. The reason mine worked without power hub is because I was using the non lightning version which is connected to my iPhone 4S. I guess the lightning version don't play too well with the NFB11.

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #1,290 of 3,093
Did you get it with the TCXO upgrade which cost a bit more, if not it can be installed later on your self. When I had the 15.32 and for me it made it more smooth and transparent, but for the 11.32 it should do the same if not slightly different. I did that but it is for the USB input, if your gonna use optical or coaxial  then there no point for the TCXO upgrade. Also it might come with the latest firmware installed, if so then use the newest drivers for the USB input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back