Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jun 24, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #1,291 of 3,093
  Did you get it with the TCXO upgrade which cost a bit more, if not it can be installed later on your self. When I had the 15.32 and for me it made it more smooth and transparent, but for the 11.32 it should do the same if not slightly different. I did that but it is for the USB input, if your gonna use optical or coaxial  then there no point for the TCXO upgrade. Also it might come with the latest firmware installed, if so then use the newest drivers for the USB input.

No, normal TXCO ones.

It is the newest latest version of it. And ill use only USB.

When it arrives ill do a review for sure ( i didnt find anyone with my case (from receiver to NFB-11).

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #1,292 of 3,093
my NFB-11 arrived today! First impressions are excellent but I wont comment on sound until I have had enough time to listen and also compare it properly with my NAD.

Did anybody manage to resolve the "click/pop" mentioned earlier in this thread? (from the amp itself not headphones) happens whenever I start/stop audio,
I can live with it if not it isn't that big of an issue.

Also had a few issues with itunes and playback using 32bit/384kHz: this was solved by changing the output to Windows Audio Session instead of Direct Sound. It must have defaulted back to that after a reinstall

Edit: really not having fun with drivers or something, when pausing then un pausing after an amount of time (say 30 seconds) there is no sound on un pausing?!? even more confusing windows is saying itunes making sound still on unpause. I need to restart itunes to get any sound through my headphones

So the problem occurs a short delay after pausing itunes or youtube then when trying to play audio nothing comes through the headphones. Nothing will play untill everything playing audio has been exited and restarted. Any ideas??

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #1,294 of 3,093
  I bet its something with USB Power saving mode.

Try to disable the Eco green mode from the ports ! 

Tried disabling USB selective suspend setting in power options. also device management>USB Root Hub > unchecked allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
Same problem
frown.gif

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #1,295 of 3,093
  my NFB-11 arrived today! First impressions are excellent but I wont comment on sound until I have had enough time to listen and also compare it properly with my NAD.

Did anybody manage to resolve the "click/pop" mentioned earlier in this thread? (from the amp itself not headphones) happens whenever I start/stop audio,
I can live with it if not it isn't that big of an issue.

Also had a few issues with itunes and playback using 32bit/384kHz: this was solved by changing the output to Windows Audio Session instead of Direct Sound. It must have defaulted back to that after a reinstall

Edit: really not having fun with drivers or something, when pausing then un pausing after an amount of time (say 30 seconds) there is no sound on un pausing?!? even more confusing windows is saying itunes making sound still on unpause. I need to restart itunes to get any sound through my headphones

So the problem occurs a short delay after pausing itunes or youtube then when trying to play audio nothing comes through the headphones. Nothing will play untill everything playing audio has been exited and restarted. Any ideas??

You are not the only one Lewis. I get the same problem as well but with foobar instead of itunes. No response from kingwa either.

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #1,296 of 3,093
Quote:
  I have a issue/question related to video.  Kingwa is unsure of it as he hasn't tested video much and wants me to get some input from you guys.

The unit I have is a new NFB-3(2014), but since they use the same USB32 chip, it should be the same situation I hope.

So anyone that is using USB32 in Windows (preferably 7 to keep it consistent), can you try something out for me?  I'm having an issue playing videos and pausing/unpausing them and having the audio mute.

In Windows:
- If I pause the video and unpause within a few seconds, it works as normal and the sound works (no muting relay click)
- If I pause the video and wait longer (say a minute), when I unpause the video the muting relay clicks and actually mutes the sound.
- I then have to actually stop the video and restart it so the relay clicks off and on again.

This seems to only happen with Windows so I think it may be a driver issue.  I'm using the latest firmware and drivers from their website.  I'm using MPC-HC or VLC to play the videos in Windows.

If I test this in Linux, it works as expected.

In Linux:
- If I pause the video, a few seconds later the relay clicks
- If I unpause, the relay clicks again and sound works as normal.

So it looks like Windows/unit is getting confused and actually muting the sound on resume.

Thanks

After some digging I have found this, it pretty much describes the issue exactly except its the same for audio for me aswell. The muting relay seems to be the problem

Jun 29, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #1,297 of 3,093
Finally I download a video in my computer and do the test and it is .
We had report to VIA company to correct the driver.

In our side, we have update the hardware , now had avoid the problems. In non DSD files playback , the mute relay had stop working.

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #1,299 of 3,093
So what does this mean for people who already bought it before this fix? Do we have to live with a broken mute relay, or will a new software/driver update fix this?

You can also disconnect the muting relay.

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #1,302 of 3,093
You can also disconnect the muting relay.

Isn't the point of the muting relay to protect your headphones/speakers on powering on/off the amplifier?

If the muting relay was disconnected isn't it unsafe to keep them always connected to the amp on power on/off ?

On a different topic, I noticed that you now have the option to upgrade the transformer from 20W to 35W on NFB-11
I don't understand what difference this would make however

*edit to avoid misinformation

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #1,303 of 3,093
Isn't the point of the muting relay to protect your headphones/speakers on powering on/off the amplifier?

If the muting relay was disconnected isn't it unsafe to keep them always connected to the amp on power on/off ?

On a different topic, I noticed that you now have the option to upgrade the transformer from 20W to 35W on NFB-11/Compass 2 etc. I don't understand what difference this would make however

Compass2 has a 45W one from the beginning.
I think for the lower models it's a worthwhile upgrade. If it doesn't improve anything, it'll at least give the amplifier more headroom and less stress.

I believe the muting relay is only for DSD files, it might be a different one that does the power on/off and most likely it is.

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #1,305 of 3,093
Compass2 has a 45W one from the beginning.
I think for the lower models it's a worthwhile upgrade. If it doesn't improve anything, it'll at least give the amplifier more headroom and less stress.

I believe the muting relay is only for DSD files, it might be a different one that does the power on/off and most likely it is.

ah sorry I think I got the compass 2 mixed up with the NFB 15, typo. Wish I had this option when I purchased as I probably would have gotten it

This would make sense from my experiences as with coaxial I think I get a click when turning on/off but no such click when playing/pausing songs.

At the moment I'm using coaxial which has bypassed the USB issue, I'll wait to see the outcome of the drivers before fiddling disconnecting things

Users who are viewing this thread

Back