Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Mar 22, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #2,913 of 3,093
Do nfb 11 allows line-out and headphone out at the same time? with r2r 11 I can only choose either headphone or line-out but not both...

No. There is a switch on the front for output that says HP, variable, & fixed. You have to choose which one you want with that.

NFB121.jpg

EDIT: Rojas just beat me to it :)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #2,915 of 3,093
I just bought my NFB-11.28 and noticed something.
You know that sound windows 7 makes when you click on your volume icon (the speaker volume slider), to show you how powerful the sound is?
From there, I realized that if there is no audio playing, the sound is cut in half. Same thing applies for any other audio being played.
Be it from youtube, from a media player or a game, the first time audio begins to be played, a small part of it is cut.
Is this intentional? Has anyone else experienced this?
If I leave in the background a fully muted media player running (-100 db), I don't experience these cuts, because I have audio being played, even if fully muted.

So only when the system has NO AUDIO running at all, the cutting will be applied at the start of an audio stream.
Example: "This is a sample audio message." I will hear instead "is is a sample audio message.".

Thank you in advance! o7

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #2,916 of 3,093
You know that sound windows 7 makes when you click on your volume icon (the speaker volume slider), to show you how powerful the sound is?
From there, I realized that if there is no audio playing, the sound is cut in half. Same thing applies for any other audio being played.
Be it from youtube, from a media player or a game, the first time audio begins to be played, a small part of it is cut.
If I leave in the background a fully muted media player running (-100 db), I don't experience these cuts, because I have audio being played, even if fully muted.

So only when the system has NO AUDIO running at all, the cutting will be applied at the start of an audio stream.
Example: "This is a sample audio message." I will hear instead "is is a sample audio message.".

Thank you in advance! o7
Click the little switch on the back of the unit. Not the on off switch. This fixed that problem for me.

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #2,917 of 3,093
Click the little switch on the back of the unit. Not the on off switch. This fixed that problem for me.
Thank you so much! I will try that and get back to you with results! Earliest I will be able to do that is 11th of may due to me being away.
What is that switch for, and is this a bug in reality, or just a feature we turn off using that switch? (Some kind of preserver for lifespan)

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #2,918 of 3,093

I dont see any switch at the back of the NFB 11.28, other than the power switch -

q92SII3.jpg

I never had that issue that @SpiritBob mentioned, but still curious.

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #2,919 of 3,093
Thank you so much! I will try that and get back to you with results! Earliest I will be able to do that is 11th of may due to me being away.
What is that switch for, and is this a bug in reality, or just a feature we turn off using that switch? (Some kind of preserver for lifespan)

I dont see any switch at the back of the NFB 11.28, other than the power switch -

q92SII3.jpg

I never had that issue that @SpiritBob mentioned, but still curious.
Hmm. Maybe it was only a feature of the 11.32. Here’s mine:
7ADF4009-FD01-4BFB-BF96-2A2D375BBFE6.jpeg

I had that problem for a while (along with clicks at the beginning of songs) but I just clicked this switch and the problems went away.

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #2,920 of 3,093
Hmm. Maybe it was only a feature of the 11.32. Here’s mine:

I had that problem for a while (along with clicks at the beginning of songs) but I just clicked this switch and the problems went away.

Interesting, from what i understand that seems to be related to the buffer or the latency (guessing here) ...But on all my systems i used the 11.28 with, i never had that issue.

@SpiritBob Can maybe try changing the output bitrate etc and resintall the drivers. That would be my first steps to try and solve it.

Also shoot Kingwa an email.. hes super responsive, and might know whats up.

Apr 23, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #2,921 of 3,093
Interesting, from what i understand that seems to be related to the buffer or the latency (guessing here) ...But on all my systems i used the 11.28 with, i never had that issue.

@SpiritBob Can maybe try changing the output bitrate etc and resintall the drivers. That would be my first steps to try and solve it.

Also shoot Kingwa an email.. hes super responsive, and might know whats up.

What's their email? I wrote to audiogd but they never really responded up to a technical level. Said to reset my media players to default settings, but the scope of this is audio as a whole!

I'm not really knowledgable of how to tinker with bitrates etc, so if you know anything that might fix this, please walk me through it like I'm from Mars. o7

EDIT: I tried updating my drivers once, it didn't yield any different results. When I get back on 11th of may, I'll try the NFB on a different device - see if the problem's coming from the NFB or my system.

EDIT2: To those wondering: I'm connected to the NFB via the supplied USB cable. I have my headphones plugged in the front of the device. Don't really have anything else to drive, as of yet.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #2,922 of 3,093

Thank you in advance! o7
I always had this issue with Windows sounds if using asynchronous USB DAC's. I believe this is normal. It takes some time for the DAC to sync (maybe sync is not the best term as the interface is asynchronous, but the idea is that the interface and Windows need to start to communicate with each other). Windows does not send a silence signal to the DAC while not producing any sound, so the DAC stays idle. When a sound is played, the very beginning of it may be missed.
JRiver Media Center has an option to add silence at the beginning to allow synching.
I do not remember of missing the beginning of the sound while playing music or gaming, though. I only noticed this with Windows sounds.
I have three USB DAC's with Amanero USB and had one with a Tenor USB chip. All have the same issue with Windows sounds. My first USB DAC was not asynchronous. I am not sure, but I think it had no issues with Windows sounds.
If you have an internal sound card with SPDIF out, use it instead of the USB. Use the USB for playing music with the dedicated Media Player, if not using direct sound.

Edit: I made some tests with my NFB-11.28 connected by USB on Windows 10. The issue happens only the first time I click on the Windows volume control and then it no longer misses the beginning of sound, at least for a while. It looks like Windows 10 keep connected to the DAC until other application requests it for it, like JRiver in ASIO. Once Windows looses the control of the DAC, it seems to have difficulties to get it back. I had an issue trying to play a Windows sound just after stopping playing a DSD file. The sound I got was noise. It looks like Windows did not change the DAC to PCM before start playing. If JRiver was playing a song with a different sampling rate from the Windows, the playback is also distorted (in pitch in this case). I had this issues before with Yulong DA8 and NFB-11.28 (both use Amanero module) and seem to change behavior depending of the Windows version. I noticed that Cortana engages the audio device even when not using it and interferes with the media player even when using ASIO. I gave up using USB for Windows. I use the computers optical out for the system sound (and all apps that use direct sound) and USB for the ASIO players. In another computer, that does not have an optical out, I disabled Cortana to minimize the issues. Windows 7 users, like you, will not have any problems with Cortana, as it does not have it.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #2,923 of 3,093
I always had this issue with Windows sounds if using asynchronous USB DAC's. I believe this is normal. It takes some time for the DAC to sync (maybe sync is not the best term as the interface is asynchronous, but the idea is that the interface and Windows need to start to communicate with each other). Windows does not send a silence signal to the DAC while not producing any sound, so the DAC stays idle. When a sound is played, the very beginning of it may be missed.
JRiver Media Center has an option to add silence at the beginning to allow synching.
I do not remember of missing the beginning of the sound while playing music or gaming, though. I only noticed this with Windows sounds.
I have three USB DAC's with Amanero USB and had one with a Tenor USB chip. All have the same issue with Windows sounds. My first USB DAC was not asynchronous. I am not sure, but I think it had no issues with Windows sounds.
If you have an internal sound card with SPDIF out, use it instead of the USB. Use the USB for playing music with the dedicated Media Player, if not using direct sound.

Edit: I made some tests with my NFB-11.28 connected by USB on Windows 10. The issue happens only the first time I click on the Windows volume control and then it no longer misses the beginning of sound, at least for a while. It looks like Windows 10 keep connected to the DAC until other application requests it for it, like JRiver in ASIO. Once Windows looses the control of the DAC, it seems to have difficulties to get it back. I had an issue trying to play a Windows sound just after stopping playing a DSD file. The sound I got was noise. It looks like Windows did not change the DAC to PCM before start playing. If JRiver was playing a song with a different sampling rate from the Windows, the playback is also distorted (in pitch in this case). I had this issues before with Yulong DA8 and NFB-11.28 (both use Amanero module) and seem to change behavior depending of the Windows version. I noticed that Cortana engages the audio device even when not using it and interferes with the media player even when using ASIO. I gave up using USB for Windows. I use the computers optical out for the system sound (and all apps that use direct sound) and USB for the ASIO players. In another computer, that does not have an optical out, I disabled Cortana to minimize the issues. Windows 7 users, like you, will not have any problems with Cortana, as it does not have it.

I think I have an SPDIF out. Should I ever switch over to USB, or if I have this option - I should always stick with it?

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #2,925 of 3,093
I think I have an SPDIF out. Should I ever switch over to USB, or if I have this option - I should always stick with it?
If you want to play DSD or DXD you have to use USB, otherwise you can keep using SPDIF as long as it supports all the sampling rates of your music files.
What player do you use to play music? Do you have high resolution music files?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back