Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Apr 24, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #2,926 of 3,093
If you want to play DSD or DXD you have to use USB, otherwise you can keep using SPDIF as long as it supports all the sampling rates of your music files.
What player do you use to play music? Do you have high resolution music files?

I have winamp and foobar. I've been told I should use foobar for high res music files like flac.
Currently my highest consists of having 16 bitrate, 48khz.
Also, when you go to properties of the driver in windows, and go to playback, you can change the sampling rate/bitrate of the device.
Should I leave it to default, or rather up it to frequency the device supports? Some say I should do the latter, while others claim that I up it way above, to 192khz. I've also heard that I should switch it to match my music's,and for games to always be 24bit 48khz!

A big thank you for everyone who have helped me!

EDIT: Does my internal audio card have to support the sampling/bitrates, even though the NFB does? (So I can use SPDIF)
It's some old thing back from 2008, so I have no idea what it's capable of.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #2,927 of 3,093
I have winamp and foobar. I've been told I should use foobar for high res music files like flac.
Currently my highest consists of having 16 bitrate, 48khz.
Also, when you go to properties of the driver in windows, and go to playback, you can change the sampling rate/bitrate of the device.
Should I leave it to default, or rather up it to frequency the device supports? Some say I should do the latter, while others claim that I up it way above, to 192khz. I've also heard that I should switch it to match my music's,and for games to always be 24bit 48khz!

A big thank you for everyone who have helped me!

EDIT: Does my internal audio card have to support the sampling/bitrates, even though the NFB does? (So I can use SPDIF)
It's some old thing back from 2008, so I have no idea what it's capable of.
I think the best way to set the Windows audio in the playback device settings is 44.1 kHz and the highest bit depdth available. In your case, for the SPDIF, it should be 24 bits. This is to prevent Windows to resample the original source. I do not believe that games are mastered in 48 kHz. Even streaming services, like Spotify, use 44.1 kHz. This is all theoretical, experiment different settings and chose the one that sounds better for you.
Concerning foobar, set the output to use WASAPI or Kernel. It will set the output to match the source file.
Your internal sound card certainly supports up to 48kHz and maybe higher sampling rates. In Windows playback device settings there is a tab that have a list of many sampling rates tests. You can test the SPDIF output capabilities there. Tick the ones that work so Windows will know which ones it can use.
Connecting the NFB via SPDIF will limit the use of the sampling rates of the internal sound card, even if the NFB supported all sampling rates up to 192kHz.
If you get high resolution music that does not match the internal card/NFB SPDIF capabilities, use the USB in the foobar output with either WASAPI, Kernel or ASIO.
For DSD playback, it is a little more complicated.

Apr 24, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #2,928 of 3,093
I think the best way to set the Windows audio in the playback device settings is 44.1 kHz and the highest bit depdth available. In your case, for the SPDIF, it should be 24 bits. This is to prevent Windows to resample the original source. I do not believe that games are mastered in 48 kHz. Even streaming services, like Spotify, use 44.1 kHz. This is all theoretical, experiment different settings and chose the one that sounds better for you.
Concerning foobar, set the output to use WASAPI or Kernel. It will set the output to match the source file.
Your internal sound card certainly supports up to 48kHz and maybe higher sampling rates. In Windows playback device settings there is a tab that have a list of many sampling rates tests. You can test the SPDIF output capabilities there. Tick the ones that work so Windows will know which ones it can use.
Connecting the NFB via SPDIF will limit the use of the sampling rates of the internal sound card, even if the NFB supported all sampling rates up to 192kHz.
If you get high resolution music that does not match the internal card/NFB SPDIF capabilities, use the USB in the foobar output with either WASAPI, Kernel or ASIO.
For DSD playback, it is a little more complicated.

Nice! Alright, thank you!

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #2,929 of 3,093
I took a look at my games folders to find the soundtrack files. Some games have the soundtrack at 48 kHz, some at 44.1 kHz and some a mix of both.
Assuming the games will use DirectSound for playback, the output will be as set in the Windows playback device settings. As most of the audio sources are at 44.1 kHz, I still recommend to set the playback device at this sampling rate to prevent resampling.
Anyway, as I said before, try the different rates and use the one that sounds better for you.
Concerning the bit depth, use the higher available for the device. This will prevent resolution loss when the Windows sound volume control is not at maximum.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #2,930 of 3,093
Saw this on their website, limited edition NFB11.38 limited to 100 units.

upload_2018-5-21_18-21-50.png

Jun 18, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #2,934 of 3,093
I don't know if anyone else posted this (Google wasn't much of a help in this long thread) but I got sick of the non-angled stock cables that come with the NFB-11. I bought some cheap angled connectors on Amazon and here is the result:

n2IkzUi.jpg

Full images here: https://imgur.com/a/VQInSRn

Jul 1, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #2,936 of 3,093
Folks, newbie here... I received my 11.38 in the last week and need advice as to the best way to set it up. Posting in this thread as I don't see a very active dedicated NFB 11-38 thread elsewhere, and I see a lot of nfb 11-28 conversation here which I suspect will be very similar to the NFB 11-38...

To start with let me say that my question is about the windows drivers and how best to install and configure them... I have seen with some trepidation all around the net that the Audio-GD devices are a bear to set up to get the best out of them.

Some background on how I am using it and what I have already done...

First - it will be fed by USB from a Win 10 laptop running Tidal (Hifi / MQA).

Second - I have downloaded the Amanero USB driver and installed it. BUT, I installed it simply using the setup embedded in the download, and from what I have read this is way, way, way too easy and that there are several more steps I should actually have taken (and perhaps a sacrifice or two I should have performed along the way).

Third - I have modified in the Amanero driver (actually the Windows Playback devices / Digital output (Amanero) / Properties) the supported formats to be all of the sample rates (initially it is just set to 48 kHz)... Please note that this device is supposed to support up to 384, but the highest format shown is 192 KHz, so this is my first clue that I have done something wrong (besides the missing sacrifices, that is)... Any ideas?

Fourth - in the Advanced tab I changed the default format to be 24-bits 44.1 KHz (it was originally set at 16-bit and 48 KHz)... Why? Because this is what I did with my Topping D50 under directions of another forum to get the best out of that DAC. Is this OK??

Does it matter if I am using a USB 2 or USB 3 port on my laptop?

Besides the steps and questions above, is there anything else I need to do (or in the case of what I have done to undo) to get the best out of this great device?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #2,937 of 3,093
Folks, newbie here... I received my 11.38 in the last week and need advice as to the best way to set it up. Posting in this thread as I don't see a very active dedicated NFB 11-38 thread elsewhere, and I see a lot of nfb 11-28 conversation here which I suspect will be very similar to the NFB 11-38...

To start with let me say that my question is about the windows drivers and how best to install and configure them... I have seen with some trepidation all around the net that the Audio-GD devices are a bear to set up to get the best out of them.

Some background on how I am using it and what I have already done...

First - it will be fed by USB from a Win 10 laptop running Tidal (Hifi / MQA).

Second - I have downloaded the Amanero USB driver and installed it. BUT, I installed it simply using the setup embedded in the download, and from what I have read this is way, way, way too easy and that there are several more steps I should actually have taken (and perhaps a sacrifice or two I should have performed along the way).

Third - I have modified in the Amanero driver (actually the Windows Playback devices / Digital output (Amanero) / Properties) the supported formats to be all of the sample rates (initially it is just set to 48 kHz)... Please note that this device is supposed to support up to 384, but the highest format shown is 192 KHz, so this is my first clue that I have done something wrong (besides the missing sacrifices, that is)... Any ideas?

Fourth - in the Advanced tab I changed the default format to be 24-bits 44.1 KHz (it was originally set at 16-bit and 48 KHz)... Why? Because this is what I did with my Topping D50 under directions of another forum to get the best out of that DAC. Is this OK??

Does it matter if I am using a USB 2 or USB 3 port on my laptop?

Besides the steps and questions above, is there anything else I need to do (or in the case of what I have done to undo) to get the best out of this great device?

Thanks!!

First - Tidal application will use WASAPI (I think it is WASAPI not Kernel), but you have to select the Amanero Combo 384 as the output device in the configurations. Tidal will use the correct sampling frequency and bit depth. Set Tidal do decode the MQA itself, as the DAC does not do it. High Res MQA streams will be played in High Resolution.

Second - Driver installation is really easy as you said. That's is all that you need to get access to the Amanero USB input. An ASIO driver is also installed along the WASAPI and Kernel support.
You have to select the preferred device in your player. If your player supports ASIO, use it.

Third - Windows only uses Direct Audio. It will be limited to 192 kHz / 32 bits. Windows will play everything as configured, no matter the format of the source, resampling the original rate to the one set. I recommend setting to 44.1 kHz / 32 bits, as most of the Windows applications sounds are at 44.1 kHz. This is to avoid resampling.

Fouth - As I said before, set to 32 bits. This will prevent loss if the Windows volume is not at 100%.

Amanero is a USB 2 device, but you can use it on both USB 2 and USB 3 ports with no problem. You can experiment each of your notebook ports. Use the one that sounds better, if you notice any difference. Sometimes one port is noisier than others causing clicks, pops or the device being suddenly "disconnected" from Windows. I noticed that my Amanero devices are sensitive to cables and ports. Try all of them and choose the one that works the best. No matter it is USB 2 or USB 3.

If your notebook has an SPDIF output, either optical or coax, I recommend trying it, to. Usually it is more stable than USB. It will be limited to 192/24 for coax and 96/24 for optical. This is fine for Tidal.

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #2,938 of 3,093
Just got an NFB.11 used, so far happy, really Nice separation and depth to the sound.

I wasn't sure what driver to install as I was getting errors. I ended up using Snappy driver installer. Does anyone know what the switch on the back is for?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #2,939 of 3,093
It pairs well with T60/T50RP really allows them to perform at their best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back