Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Nov 12, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #2,341 of 2,569
Anyone got any ideas on a possible upgrade from the R2R-11 maybe around $500 or so? I know about the Denafrips models, and would love to have an Ares or Ares II. And unfortunately (not for real, lol) I already own the Modi Multibit / Eitr and the Airist RDAC. Seems like the Bifrost 2 is the next logical step, but I just can't afford $699 at the moment.

I have had the ares 2 and still got the r2r11, the ares2 is definitely lovely but once you own them both you'll realize that you can live happily with R2R11 aswell.
overall the ares2 is the better performing dac and has different qualities than the R2R11, they're both winners in my book.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #2,343 of 2,569
@Mark 5 .
If you think about Ares, it means you don't need a built-in headphone amplifier and R1 from Audio GD is your upgrade. Otherwise R28 a combo (consider it as R1 DAC plus NFB-1AMP). Unfortunately there is nothing between, but it has some high-end features like ACSS, a price is justified. All other DACs (as already suggested) I would sell to finance a purchase.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #2,344 of 2,569
Anyone got any ideas on a possible upgrade from the R2R-11 maybe around $500 or so? I know about the Denafrips models, and would love to have an Ares or Ares II. And unfortunately (not for real, lol) I already own the Modi Multibit / Eitr and the Airist RDAC. Seems like the Bifrost 2 is the next logical step, but I just can't afford $699 at the moment.
I don't think there is any obvious upgrade in sound quality but there might be in features. You have to spend quite a lot more money to hear significant differences, diminishing returns and all that...

I doubt very much any of the entry level schiit is worth anything. From what I read I'm not clear that Aeres / II would be an upgrade in sound quality either.

If you're happy with the R2R-11 maybe you ought to set your sights on something from Audio-gd. If you send an email Kingwa can probably suggest something.

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #2,345 of 2,569
yes it's a good point, if you're most happy with R2R11 then no matter how much you spend anything else will sound too clean and resolving ie 'sterile' . Ares II would definitely be a 'downgrade' in this sense.

Nov 13, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #2,347 of 2,569
Anyone got any ideas on a possible upgrade from the R2R-11 maybe around $500 or so? I know about the Denafrips models, and would love to have an Ares or Ares II. And

If you are using normal/simple PC as the music source, you may want to try the following combo:

RPi 4B - $80
Good power supply, preferred Linear Power supply with low noise. $100-200

This can be done for less than $300 and this may be you best bet for upgrade.

Nov 13, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #2,348 of 2,569
yes it's a good point, if you're most happy with R2R11 then no matter how much you spend anything else will sound too clean and resolving ie 'sterile' . Ares II would definitely be a 'downgrade' in this sense.
I am not expert in audiophile vocabulary and English is not my native language, but for me 'sterile' and 'clean' are not the same or at least it shouldn't be, IHMO. "Clean" means free from distortions, both harmonic and non-linear like jitter or other intermodulation effects on non-linearities of the components.

If you ever heard high-end setup (not in a shop, but a continously improved gear during many years), you know what I mean. R2R11 has surprisingly all attributes of high-end sound except being clean. It is not totally bad, as we are able to tolerate some kind of distortions. I have awareness it could be better (same as the OP). Some other member says: R2R11 is a "gateway to the high-end sound". I do agree, it create desire for something better, but sound imperfections don't throw me away. I can listen to R2R11 for hours without being tired, the same as to the local FM station that use high-end DAC.

Sterile sound is created both by some Delta-Sigma DACs with extensive DSP and a currently popular amplifiers with nested-loopback. Examples are THX 789, my FiiO E12A or the latest Topping amps. These are also examples of clean sound, but not similar to the high-end equipment, as something is missing. This is why I call it 'sterile'. You may have an impression of a high resolution, but it is misleading, as in a case of DS DACs harmonics are fake, sound is simplified (various tones of a single piano key are blended into a single dominant tone or it sounds distorted), also missing natural reverbations on a decay. Nested loopback amplifiers are losing transparency during fast transients (which is music). People call it sounding 'dark', uninvolving. 798-types are popular when paired with DS converters, as sound is simplified already.

I may agree about Ares in this aspect. In the Ares there is no pure NOS mode. Data streem is subject to DSP pre-processing even in NOS mode, it cannot be switched off. It may sound more sterile for this reason. It is why Audio GD R1 is a natural upgrade for R2R11.

There are many ways to clean sound of R2R11. A ladder is sensitive to ground loops. It helps reversing plug on the laptop PSU (possible with 2-prong Europlug), blocking 5V pin and attaching two ferrite clamps on both sides of the USB cable. I plan to make my own USB cable. There is a current discussion in the DI-20 section for chosing the best USB cable. If it helps DI-20 that has galvanically isolated USB port, it will make even greater effect on R2R11.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #2,349 of 2,569

power and signal tweaks.

-low interwinding capacitance isolation transformer
-quadrapole power cable
-galvanically isolated input
-low noise reclocked transport

the best budget system i came up with consisting of used components:

topaz 91091 or 91092 preferably -32 but -12 and -22 are fine $50

find a cheap used vh audio flavor 4 preferably but 2 is fine $50

if using a pc use usb to a used uptone usb regen($50) with a jameco lps($15) and a quadrapole dc cable between them. then a decent ddc with a lps and tcxo like the breeze du-u8($75), and optical to the r2r11.

or find a used iso regen and ultracap(with the ground shunted smps, $300) combo for straight usb, same thing quadrapole dc cable between them.

this is near complete external noise reduction and isolation with strong signal quality. youll be suprised how good the r2r11 actually sounds.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #2,350 of 2,569
I am not expert in audiophile vocabulary and English is not my native language, but for me 'sterile' and 'clean' are not the same or at least it shouldn't be, IHMO. "Clean" means free from distortions, both harmonic and non-linear like jitter or other intermodulation effects on non-linearities of the components.

If you ever heard high-end setup (not in a shop, but a continously improved gear during many years), you know what I mean. R2R11 has surprisingly all attributes of high-end sound except being clean. It is not totally bad, as we are able to tolerate some kind of distortions. I have awareness it could be better (same as the OP). Some other member says: R2R11 is a "gateway to the high-end sound". I do agree, it create desire for something better, but sound imperfections don't throw me away. I can listen to R2R11 for hours without being tired, the same as to the local FM station that use high-end DAC.

Sterile sound is created both by some Delta-Sigma DACs with extensive DSP and a currently popular amplifiers with nested-loopback. Examples are THX 789, my FiiO E12A or the latest Topping amps. These are also examples of clean sound, but not similar to the high-end equipment, as something is missing. This is why I call it 'sterile'. You may have an impression of a high resolution, but it is misleading, as in a case of DS DACs harmonics are fake, sound is simplified (various tones of a single piano key are blended into a single dominant tone or it sounds distorted), also missing natural reverbations on a decay. Nested loopback amplifiers are losing transparency during fast transients (which is music). People call it sounding 'dark', uninvolving. 798-types are popular when paired with DS converters, as sound is simplified already.

I may agree about Ares in this aspect. In the Ares there is no pure NOS mode. Data streem is subject to DSP pre-processing even in NOS mode, it cannot be switched off. It may sound more sterile for this reason. It is why Audio GD R1 is a natural upgrade for R2R11.

There are many ways to clean sound of R2R11. A ladder is sensitive to ground loops. It helps reversing plug on the laptop PSU (possible with 2-prong Europlug), blocking 5V pin and attaching two ferrite clamps on both sides of the USB cable. I plan to make my own USB cable. There is a current discussion in the DI-20 section for chosing the best USB cable. If it helps DI-20 that has galvanically isolated USB port, it will make even greater effect on R2R11.

English is not your native language? Damn, you could have fooled me. This post makes all kinds of sense...

Nov 14, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #2,352 of 2,569
I'm selling a custom version of the R2R11 with I2S input for a dedicated transporter if you're serious about R2R11 upgrading.

How did you implement the I2S input? Did you use the kit from Kingwa to swap out the USB input?

Nov 15, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #2,354 of 2,569
Something in particular you don't like about it? I think it's a very magical piece of kit (great ratio of transparency of warmth) so haven't look at other gear since purchasing it.

Nov 16, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #2,355 of 2,569
Need help!!
I have been using the R2R11 for more than 2 years now. I had no problem connecting it to my windows 10 pc via usb. However, I recently unplugged and plugged the usb from the pc and since then, the R2R11 is not being detected by my pc at all.I reinstalled the drivers from audiogd website but the device just does not show up. I can, however, connect the dac with my phone using a otg cable and use it as a dac, no problems. Need solution!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back