Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Aug 30, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #2,311 of 2,569
The bad news is that this is a general flaw in all the R2R-11 units that I’m personally aware of. It’s limited to DSD playback like you say, and mainly noticeable in quieter passages of classical and jazz music. In fact, most of my classical DSDs are now unplayable on the R2R-11, and so I’ve set Audirvana to convert DSD to PCM on the fly. Still sounds fantastic, but of course if you want native DSD, too bad.

Also as far as I know there’s no fix for it. They’ve supposedly fixed the pops, but I haven’t yet heard any feedback on whether or not the firmware update addresses the DSD issue. In my many discussions with Kingwa - via my local agent - he claims the noise is there because as a NOS dac, it doesn’t and won’t filter any low level noise artefacts - even though he couldn’t explain why these were limited to DSD playback.

Since ladder dacs have no way to actually play DSD files natively, I can only assume it’s a fault with the DSD playback chip or module or whatever else they’re using to actually “play” native DSD, if in fact it’s being played back natively at all.

Bottom line, if you have lots of DSDs - especially classical and jazz - and insist on playing them without PCM conversion, then however much it pains me to say it, the R2R-11 is (currently) not the solution. I really hope it gets fixed, otherwise it won’t be my long term solution either, however brilliant the sound (and it is brilliant with all my headphones).

PS. An even bigger question for me is if the same noise is present in the R2R-1 and R2R-2 dacs, because one of those were going to be my upgrade path. However if they also have issues with DSD playback, I’ll be forced to look elsewhere, and probably abandon Audio-GD altogether. I really hope it doesn’t come to that.

Well crap. I ordered the R2R-11 after reading about 60 pages of this thread and then I started seeing your comments about DSD not playing. I'm still reading and hoping this is resolved.

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #2,312 of 2,569
Well crap. I ordered the R2R-11 after reading about 60 pages of this thread and then I started seeing your comments about DSD not playing. I'm still reading and hoping this is resolved.
Don't worry. A current version of R2R11 with DA-8 modules ver.2 is not affected by a weird DSD low level noise bug. A bug had been fixed earlier on the more expensive R1/R28 by firmware upgrade.

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #2,313 of 2,569
Don't worry. A current version of R2R11 with DA-8 modules ver.2 is not affected by a weird DSD low level noise bug. A bug had been fixed earlier on the more expensive R1/R28 by firmware upgrade.

Thanks, I'll try it as soon as the unit arrives.

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #2,314 of 2,569
What does that mean practically? Has anyone actually heard the 9028 and 9038 and could describe the actual benefits, of any? For example, what differences would you pick up between the 28.28 and 28.38 (only because those have been out for ages and the 11.38 is new and untested).

Nothing at all to the human ear.

I have DACs with ESS 9018, 9028, and 9038 (all "Pro" versions). To my ear the most musical one is the 9018. I believe the PSU in that one is to blame for the incredible musicality. Otherwise it's just better measurements and maybe more filter options.

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #2,315 of 2,569
Ok, so what you trying to tell me is that the R2R11 actually measures decently but for some reason sounded really bad/distorted to me and is catastrophically affected by ground loops, more so than any other DACs, which caused it to measure terribly?
Peaks every 25 seconds are indicative that a ladder is reseting itself. Isn't it indicative off a critical condition?

I see you don't comment on the 44.1kHz signal tests. These are hudge distortions, definitely audible at -80dB. So how a dashboard test can give -118dB SINR? It must be some tricks that normal tests fail to show.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #2,316 of 2,569
Peaks every 25 seconds are indicative that a ladder is reseting itself every 25 second. Isn't it indicative off a critical condition?

I see you don't comment on the 44.1kHz signal tests. These are hudge distortions, definitely audible at -80dB. So how a dashboard test can give118dB SINR? It must be some tricks that normal tests fail to show.
Of course.
Who knows if this is typical behaviour of the USB input or just a problem with the testing methods.
There was also those issues with USB DSD playback everyone was having.
If it is a problem with the testing why was the R2R11 so severly affected compared to all the other DACs, except for a few of the other AGD DACs, even those measured on other forums (e.g look at R2R S19 measurements, also R2R11 measurement on reddit).
Can you really call this a problem with the measurements when it only effects these very specific DACs?
But sorry, I trust my ears and believe these measurements, even if they arent perfect, are close enough to reality and not a result of some severe testing error...

You did mention a newer version of R2R11, I definitely had the old version, who knows what other changes were made with the newer version that you own... could have fixed some issues.

what tests? It's not clear what you are asking, but im not interested in discussing in and outs of them.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #2,317 of 2,569
Aug 30, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #2,319 of 2,569
your point?
A point is, Amir found that USB port was destabilizing device and S/PDIF did not, but he continued tests on a malfunctioning USB connection.

I had a problem with USB connection, but I managed to fix it by reversing EU plug on the laptop PSU and now I am enjoying music. I have the first model with DSD bug. It is the only problem early R2R11 has. However I found that transcoding on the fly DSD files to the PCM 176.4kHz works wery well. And sounds briliant on this DAC.

You also seem had a problem with USB connection, but failed to test other ports to establish a cause. You are at a fault. Stop this troll, please.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #2,320 of 2,569
A point is, Amir found that USB port was destabilizing device and S/PDIF did not, but he continued tests on a malfunctioning USB connection.

I had a problem with USB connection, but I managed to fix it by reversing EU plug on the laptop PSU and now I am enjoying music. I have the first model with DSD bug. It is the only problem early R2R11 has. However I found that transcoding on the fly DSD files to the PCM 176.4kHz works wery well. And sounds briliant on this DAC.

You also seem had a problem with USB connection, but failed to test other ports to establish a cause. You are at a fault. Stop this troll, please.
yes im the troll here

Aug 31, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #2,322 of 2,569
Aug 31, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #2,324 of 2,569
Yep i will, i also noticed your signature. It mention you have HD800 - i wish you post about it in here when you get your R2R and explain how it sounds / how it runs.

I have apartments in two countries. I'm away from my main system because of the crisis. I only have a Chord Mojo here that's why I bought the audio-gd. My only headphones with me are a new pair of DT1770s but I plan to run them off my ATROX V2 amp. I don't plan to use the amp on the audio-gd. Most of the rest of my gear including my HD 800s is in CR. I won't have a chance to try them with the audio-gd.

I don't consider the 800s an all around pair of cans unless you listen to only big room music like orchestral or big band or need to analyze a recording. And they will be happier out of a tube OTL amp.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #2,325 of 2,569
My R2R-11 is on its way out of China :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back