Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Sep 6, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #2,326 of 2,569
Just arrived. I can play anything through Foobar2000 ASIO, even DSD sounds ok so far without listening critically.

But I cannot get Tidal to play through it for some reason. It says I should set the Windows sound settings to 44.1/16 and there is no such setting screen available for the Amanero device. Do I need drivers other than Amanero combo USB drivers?

update: fixed after reinstalling the drivers several times, rebooting several times, and removing Chord drivers. It's Windows so of course I have no idea what the problem was or even what fixed it. When in doubt, just keep reinstalling and rebooting :D

So now it plays everything. How grand :)

By the way I asked Kingwa to set it for fixed output and he did. And I notice the gain switch works even in fixed output mode. I think I read upthread it does not, but I confirm it does.

Audio-gd R2R-11.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #2,327 of 2,569
@ gimmeheadroom. Congratulaion!

No drivers are required for Win10 Creators and above.

For Tidal if you use Web browser I see there are WASAPI plugins. Chrome had undocumented switch, search indicate it is broken.

Fixed output is for RCA, not headphones. :)

Sep 7, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #2,328 of 2,569
@ gimmeheadroom. Congratulaion!

No drivers are required for Win10 Creators and above.

For Tidal if you use Web browser I see there are WASAPI plugins. Chrome had undocumented switch, search indicate it is broken.

Fixed output is for RCA, not headphones. :)

Thanks @sajunky it is sorted, everything is working well. I use the Tidal app.

I had asked Kingwa to set the fixed output and he did. I hate variable outputs. But it's interesting that the gain switch works in all modes, headout, variable out, and fixed out.
The built in amp cannot drive my DT1770s well. I have some cables coming from UK and then I'll use my ATROX V2 which does a bang up job with them.

Sep 12, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #2,329 of 2,569
Coupla comments. This DAC is really super even regardless of price. I need to spend more time with the built-in headamp, I am now not so sure that it doesn't drive my DT1770s well. I'll try to remember to update the thread when I have more time to conclude. It feels to me that the bass presence is less than my Chord Mojo provided which I think is why I concluded the R2R-11's headamp was not getting the job done. Whether I listen to it via speakers or headphones, it feels a bit trebly.

I have been running the R2R-11 about 8 hours a day and I don't notice any improvement in break in. But I do not hear anything that needs improving aside from the tonal balance, which appears to be a bit light in the bass region at least compared to the Chord Mojo I was using befor the audio-gd arrived.

Does anybody have any comments about the character of the bass of the R2R-11 in your setup?

Sep 12, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #2,330 of 2,569
Bass goes very deep with my HD600. As you say, the same type of sound is on the RCA output, I think problem is different. Try to isolate 5V pin on the source side of the USB plug, it should be an improvement. Do it sound better on S/PDIF inputs? If answer is yes, then ground loops are to be blamed. Is your laptop power plug reversible? During the testing, have only HP's or RCA outputs connected, not both. Then power off and on the DAC, it is required as it recalibrate during reset. If ground loops are gone, it should be immediate effect after restart and a full SQ after half an hour.

Sep 13, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #2,331 of 2,569
Bass goes very deep with my HD600. As you say, the same type of sound is on the RCA output, I think problem is different. Try to isolate 5V pin on the source side of the USB plug, it should be an improvement. Do it sound better on S/PDIF inputs? If answer is yes, then ground loops are to be blamed. Is your laptop power plug reversible? During the testing, have only HP's or RCA outputs connected, not both. Then power off and on the DAC, it is required as it recalibrate during reset. If ground loops are gone, it should be immediate effect after restart and a full SQ after half an hour.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments :)

I can try optical during the week but I have another theory. The Chord Mojo I was using before this is specced at 3V out in line-out mode which is what I used. The R2R-11 is specced at 2.5V on high gain. I changed to variable gain and used the volume knob and indeed bass improves. I suspect my new headamp is happier when driven hard. Given 2V is standard I'm a bit surprised at this behavior. The headamp has 4 gain positions, I was running on #2 with the Mojo and have been using it with the R2R-11. When I go to position 3 it starts to get better but it also feels on the edge of being overdriven. I guess I'll have some twiddling to do to get the levels sorted.

Anyway, the R2R-11's headamp seems to be doing quite well. I'm on the verge of not using the outboard headamp now. What a pity, I'll have to buy another DAC to drive it with :D

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #2,333 of 2,569
Hey guys i have the r2r11 for around a year now, and I just experimented connecting my r2r11 and my desktop with an automatic voltage regulator. It sounds alot better imo.

Just sharing my experience in case someone else would like to try :)

Do you mean you connect your computer & R2R-11 to an AVR?

If yes, 2 questions:
  • What are you using for DAC and headphone amp?
  • And what sonic improvements are you hearing?

Sep 20, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #2,334 of 2,569
Just sharing my experience in case someone else would like to try :)
Yes, try everything. Even reversing the power plug of your laptop PSU can help like in my case. PC is the biggest source of ground loops and R2R11 has little protection (only more expensive models do).

Sep 21, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #2,335 of 2,569
Do you mean you connect your computer & R2R-11 to an AVR?

If yes, 2 questions:
  • What are you using for DAC and headphone amp?
  • And what sonic improvements are you hearing?
Yes I connected my computer and R2R-11 to the AVR.

I'm using my R2R-11 as my DAC amp, and also using it as a pure dac with bravo audio ocean paired with a Beyerdynamics T70 in this case. I find much better instrument separation with the AVR.

Before using the AVR I actually find that my T70 sounded alot muddier (albeit more musical) when I moved from khadas tone board to the R2R-11. And i now find the same clarity of the khadas tone board, just slightly warmer sound.

Sep 22, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #2,337 of 2,569
Sep 23, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #2,339 of 2,569
I'm thinking of using the R2R-11 as a dac and pairing it with the Asgard.. But don't know if it's an upgrade worth considering.

The Asgard doesn't have that much more power than the R2R-11 depending on the impedance. I would say it would depend on the headphones. On high gain the built in headamp is pretty good with 250 ohm Beyers but not perfect. The benefit of using an external amp is that the variable out is adjustable to a pretty high level of drive.

Nov 12, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #2,340 of 2,569
Anyone got any ideas on a possible upgrade from the R2R-11 maybe around $500 or so? I know about the Denafrips models, and would love to have an Ares or Ares II. And unfortunately (not for real, lol) I already own the Modi Multibit / Eitr and the Airist RDAC. Seems like the Bifrost 2 is the next logical step, but I just can't afford $699 at the moment.
What is wrong with your current DACs?
Buying more midrange DACs is never gonna be much of an upgrade, unless you are just looking for a different sound signature
You should sell your least favourite 2, save up and aim for something better to end the cycle.
The new soekris DAC is getting extremely positive feedback on Sb@F, with a good DAC like that you will feel satisfied, unlike those midrange toys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back