Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Feb 3, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #978 of 2,569
Yes, with an iMac using Vox and feeding through USB. But I am not sure if it's the bitrates because it occurs in the middle of songs. It's the same sound my FX Audio X6 makes sometimes when changing to 96kHz, except that with the R2R is very short and completely random. I have other things plugged in around the amp. Maybe is that? I turned it off and on but same thing happening. I don't want to listen now because I'm scared of that noise destroying my ears :triportsad:.

And for most albums I have the pot at 2 o'clock on high gain, I think that's the sweet spot.
I don't have the issues you're having using iTunes on a MacBook Pro and Mac mini (there's a very small "pop" when stopping/starting music, but not between songs). My normal listening volume (low gain) on an HD 6XX is at 9:30, and at 11:30 on an HE-560.

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #979 of 2,569
I haven't. But after 50 hours on the r2r 11, i can tell at this stage that the amp on the r2r 11, driving the hungry he-560, does not reach as low in the spectrum as the nfb-1amp used balanced (or even single-ended). It could change with break-in but my guess is it won't. Otherwise, the pairing between both is excellent, especially for classical. For less hungry headphones, the sound is really similar and would be hard to tell apart. Normally, because of the volume control being superior, the nfb-1amp could have a small advantage even with easy cans, but i would have to try. Also, the cable used to hook up the two would get into the equation, having its signature, so comparing is tricky.
Just looked up the NFP-1 AMP...dude, that has four times the output power of the R2R 11!!! ...I thought the HE-560 sounded fantastic using an R2R 11...LOL now I have to try them with something more powerful!! :gs1000smile:

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #980 of 2,569
I don't have the issues you're having using iTunes on a MacBook Pro and Mac mini (there's a very small "pop" when stopping/starting music, but not between songs). My normal listening volume (low gain) on an HD 6XX is at 9:30, and at 11:30 on an HE-560.

Does power on R2R enough to drive HE-560?

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #982 of 2,569
Now I have
HIFIMEDIY U2 ASYNCHRONOUS USB DAC
with sabre chip so I need something better. I’m looking something more neutral, because I like synergy between JoLida and Wlm. I’m very satisfied with this sound character.

Regards,
Simon
Hi, FredA's advise is vaild. The 11.28 is the most neutral You can get. Theese dacs plays in a higher league than Your Hifimediy U2, for sure.
/Jan

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #983 of 2,569
Is the R2R more colored than the NFB11? I more just wondering why you prefer the R2R with very fast, clear and neutral headphones.
Hi,
The R2R-11 is just a complete sounding dac that not benefit from any coloration of amps, speakers/headphones. This is my own opinion. Probably shared by many others. But everyone has his/her rights to have other preferences, of course.

/Jan

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #984 of 2,569
Just looked up the NFP-1 AMP...dude, that has four times the output power of the R2R 11!!! ...I thought the HE-560 sounded fantastic using an R2R 11...LOL now I have to try them with something more powerful!! :gs1000smile:
The condition is you use the balanced out. Otherwise, the c-2 is a better option. Overall, you will get slightly better sound with the nfb-1amp used balanced compared to the c-2 (single-ended amp).

The obvious difference in sound is these bigger amps drive the bass better and there is more bass extentsion with the he-560. But the r2r 11 and nfb-11 are competent enough to get the most out of these.

This is the law of diminishing return. It is not a night and day difference. One great upgrade option to consider is a used master-11 singularity. Now you are talking definitive end game or really close. But, in the mean time, enjoy your small combo. Indepedently of the price, they are so good. They are near high-end. More than just a taste of it. They are just 2% inferior to what is best at most. My home setup is barely more enjoyable.

I listened to some well recorded Mozart played by a quartet the other day, the he-560 driven by the r2r 11 with barely 50 hours on it. I was in heaven. Mozart was such a genius, and the r2r 11 makes it obvious.

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #985 of 2,569
Now I have
HIFIMEDIY U2 ASYNCHRONOUS USB DAC
with sabre chip so I need something better. I’m looking something more neutral, because I like synergy between JoLida and Wlm. I’m very satisfied with this sound character.

Regards,
Simon
The nfb-11 or r2r 11 should be significantly better. Or get a Schiit Mody Multibit. I would take audio-gd over Schiit in that price range but the Mimby is a still a great value.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #988 of 2,569
@FredA and @JaMo ...thanks
In the past, I had Aune S16 and Naim DAC-V1
but not in this system (Jolida+WLM). Although Jolida + WLM play together very transparently, openly and quite differently than other tube systems
In short, I'm looking for a DAC up to 700€.

regards,
Simon
I would go either r2r 1 or r2r 2. Or maybe the nfb1.38. The first two should do a better job with low quality spdif signals. These are the best values for that kind of money IMO, but just by dediuction, since there is not much feedback on them. You should note the first two need a long break-in period.

I would personnaly go for the r2r 1, if i had to choose, because it is balanced and it has an efficient de-jittering circuit. And it can be firmware-upgraded (same for the r2r 2). It has everything to be the best dac under 1k.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #989 of 2,569
Does power on R2R enough to drive HE-560?
Yes, I think it's great (plus I'm only at 11:30 on low gain). Also see FredA's post #984
The condition is you use the balanced out. Otherwise, the c-2 is a better option. Overall, you will get slightly better sound with the nfb-1amp used balanced compared to the c-2 (single-ended amp).

The obvious difference in sound is these bigger amps drive the bass better and there is more bass extentsion with the he-560. But the r2r 11 and nfb-11 are competent enough to get the most out of these.

This is the law of diminishing return. It is not a night and day difference. One great upgrade option to consider is a used master-11 singularity. Now you are talking definitive end game or really close. But, in the mean time, enjoy your small combo. Indepedently of the price, they are so good. They are near high-end. More than just a taste of it. They are just 2% inferior to what is best at most. My home setup is barely more enjoyable.

I listened to some well recorded Mozart played by a quartet the other day, the he-560 driven by the r2r 11 with barely 50 hours on it. I was in heaven. Mozart was such a genius, and the r2r 11 makes it obvious.

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #990 of 2,569

Informative post, thanks! Also, thanks for the tip about classical music because after your post I listened to select scenes from Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen which I wouldn't have done otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back