1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by crowally, Aug 17, 2017.
First

Back
56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65
67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76
Next

Last
  1. simon740
    Hello,

what do you think which is better(R2R-11 or nfb-11.28) for my hifi setup: Jolida JD302 BRC + WLM La Scala monitor?

regards,
    Simon

2. FredA
    With tubes, i would get the nfb-11.

3. Anaz
    I don't have the issues you're having using iTunes on a MacBook Pro and Mac mini (there's a very small "pop" when stopping/starting music, but not between songs). My normal listening volume (low gain) on an HD 6XX is at 9:30, and at 11:30 on an HE-560.

4. Anaz
    Just looked up the NFP-1 AMP...dude, that has four times the output power of the R2R 11!!! ...I thought the HE-560 sounded fantastic using an R2R 11...LOL now I have to try them with something more powerful!! :gs1000smile:

5. natto
    Does power on R2R enough to drive HE-560?

6. simon740
    Now I have
    HIFIMEDIY U2 ASYNCHRONOUS USB DAC
    with sabre chip so I need something better. I’m looking something more neutral, because I like synergy between JoLida and Wlm. I’m very satisfied with this sound character.

Regards,
    Simon

7. JaMo
    Hi, FredA's advise is vaild. The 11.28 is the most neutral You can get. Theese dacs plays in a higher league than Your Hifimediy U2, for sure.
    /Jan

8. JaMo
    Hi,
    The R2R-11 is just a complete sounding dac that not benefit from any coloration of amps, speakers/headphones. This is my own opinion. Probably shared by many others. But everyone has his/her rights to have other preferences, of course.

/Jan

9. FredA
    The condition is you use the balanced out. Otherwise, the c-2 is a better option. Overall, you will get slightly better sound with the nfb-1amp used balanced compared to the c-2 (single-ended amp).

The obvious difference in sound is these bigger amps drive the bass better and there is more bass extentsion with the he-560. But the r2r 11 and nfb-11 are competent enough to get the most out of these.

This is the law of diminishing return. It is not a night and day difference. One great upgrade option to consider is a used master-11 singularity. Now you are talking definitive end game or really close. But, in the mean time, enjoy your small combo. Indepedently of the price, they are so good. They are near high-end. More than just a taste of it. They are just 2% inferior to what is best at most. My home setup is barely more enjoyable.

I listened to some well recorded Mozart played by a quartet the other day, the he-560 driven by the r2r 11 with barely 50 hours on it. I was in heaven. Mozart was such a genius, and the r2r 11 makes it obvious.

natto and Anaz like this.
  10. FredA
    The nfb-11 or r2r 11 should be significantly better. Or get a Schiit Mody Multibit. I would take audio-gd over Schiit in that price range but the Mimby is a still a great value.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  11. mishoristov
    Anyone tried the R2R 11 with upsampling to DSD256? how is that compared playing in "native" bitrate of the songs.

12. simon740
    @FredA and @JaMo ...thanks
    In the past, I had Aune S16 and Naim DAC-V1
    but not in this system (Jolida+WLM). Although Jolida + WLM play together very transparently, openly and quite differently than other tube systems
    In short, I'm looking for a DAC up to 700€.

regards,
    Simon

13. FredA
    I would go either r2r 1 or r2r 2. Or maybe the nfb1.38. The first two should do a better job with low quality spdif signals. These are the best values for that kind of money IMO, but just by dediuction, since there is not much feedback on them. You should note the first two need a long break-in period.

I would personnaly go for the r2r 1, if i had to choose, because it is balanced and it has an efficient de-jittering circuit. And it can be firmware-upgraded (same for the r2r 2). It has everything to be the best dac under 1k.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    natto likes this.
  14. Anaz
    Yes, I think it's great (plus I'm only at 11:30 on low gain). Also see FredA's post #984

natto likes this.
  15. Anaz
    Informative post, thanks! Also, thanks for the tip about classical music because after your post I listened to select scenes from Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen which I wouldn't have done otherwise.

First

Back
56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65
67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76
Next

Last