1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by crowally, Aug 17, 2017.
First

Back
55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64
66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
Next

Last
  1. bunkbail
    Yeah I can't seem to find UK plugs either.

2. FredA
    My favorite for audio-gd is one of these or similar:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-5M-PCS-Fu...040916?hash=item1ec27dc3d4:g:iZUAAOSwdGFYtunn

This cable is heavy so it could be inconvenient to use with a small combo. But i used a similar one with the di2014, which is even smaller.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  3. FredA
    bunkbail likes this.
  4. Lushy Brushy
    I got the R2R 11 on Thursday and they sound really good out of the K712's. I think the amp is getting better by the second. But I've started to have occasional bursts of pink noise. Like a sudden dash of distortion that hurts my ears and interrupts the music.
    I think this started when I swapped to the variable and fixed on the switch for the first time but had nothing plugged in. I don't know what it is but it's a little annoying. The amp also arrived a little bit dinged and the paint in one of the white letters on the gain switch is rubbed.

This is the first time the noise has happened since I got the amp (3 days ago), I left it running most of the time.
    Also, the amp at max low gain isn't enough for the K712's in some albums and in really quiet albums I went max high gain. Is there something wrong or are the K712's that hungry?

5. Monsterzero
    AKG K712s arent the easiest headphone around to drive,but you shouldnt be able to max out the volume,even on low gain,let alone on high.
    What are you feeding it with,computer?Make sure the volume on your source is set to 100%,both in Windows(or Mac) and on the player you are using.

As far as pink noise...I assume youre referring to the pops that every one of us has heard at some point or the other? It happens when bitrates change.It seems that a Schiit Eitr has solved this issue for a few of us,including myself.

6. Lushy Brushy
    Yes, with an iMac using Vox and feeding through USB. But I am not sure if it's the bitrates because it occurs in the middle of songs. It's the same sound my FX Audio X6 makes sometimes when changing to 96kHz, except that with the R2R is very short and completely random. I have other things plugged in around the amp. Maybe is that? I turned it off and on but same thing happening. I don't want to listen now because I'm scared of that noise destroying my ears :triportsad:.

And for most albums I have the pot at 2 o'clock on high gain, I think that's the sweet spot.

7. VilMo
    FredA, have you tried the nfb-1amp with the r2r 11? What differences do you spot if any? I wonder what will a higher-grade amp bring to r2r 11. Thanks.

8. Dodgers1988
    I just ordered the NFB-11.28 and am going to pair them to the HE-500 and HD650. Should have I went R2R11 instead or did I make a ok choice?

9. JaMo
    Hi,
    No, You will have a good match there. Both the HE500 and the HD650 has a slight warmth in them, so it is a good choice.

Jan

10. Dodgers1988
    Thanks been really seconding guessing not picking up the latest model. Why does the R2R have more warmth than the NFB? New headfier so I have no idea the different technologies.

11. JaMo
    Both the 11.28 and the R2R-11 are excellent for the money. Personally I like the R2R paired with very fast, clear and neutral speakers/headphones. All this is personal taste based on experiences. The differences between Delta Sigma (ESS9028Pro) and the R2R-architectures I will leave to others to enlight. I just answer from my own experiences of the gears. (I actually own them all (11.28,R11,and the headphones)).

/Jan

12. Dodgers1988
    Is the R2R more colored than the NFB11? I more just wondering why you prefer the R2R with very fast, clear and neutral headphones.

13. FredA
    Based on the k701, that is normal.

14. FredA
    I haven't. But after 50 hours on the r2r 11, i can tell at this stage that the amp on the r2r 11, driving the hungry he-560, does not reach as low in the spectrum as the nfb-1amp used balanced (or even single-ended). It could change with break-in but my guess is it won't. Otherwise, the pairing between both is excellent, especially for classical. For less hungry headphones, the sound is really similar and would be hard to tell apart. Normally, because of the volume control being superior, the nfb-1amp could have a small advantage even with easy cans, but i would have to try. Also, the cable used to hook up the two would get into the equation, having its signature, so comparing is tricky.

natto and VilMo like this.
  15. FredA
    One limitation of the r2r 11, i believe, is it has crosstalk between the digital inputs. To be confirmed. Following that logic, you should turn off the connected gears you are not listening to, if possible. Otherwise, get the nfb11 instead,

First

Back
55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64
66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
Next

Last