Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Jan 5, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #556 of 2,569
Congrats! I felt the same way when pair with my TH-X00 Ebony's. The only difference is that no had the R2R 11 powered by my MJ2 that I have since retired. I find the amp section pretty decent by not as good as the dac. I plan on buying another higher powered amp to pair with the R2R 11 as a stand alone dac.
Amp not enough juice to push the Ebony?

Jan 5, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #557 of 2,569
Amp not enough juice to push the Ebony?
The amp is plenty and will make 80% of the folks on this site happy. I was referring more to the comparison of the dac. The dac is much better than the amp meaning you'd get more from the R2R 11 with some sort of stack system. Like I said I used the Schiit Mjolnir 2 which is a tube hybrid and really sent my LCD-X's to a whole new level.

Please don't think I'm bashing the amp section of this dac / amp combo because I'm not.

Just watch me enjoy my listening session!

20180105_224700.jpg

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #558 of 2,569
The amp is plenty and will make 80% of the folks on this site happy. I was referring more to the comparison of the dac. The dac is much better than the amp meaning you'd get more from the R2R 11 with some sort of stack system. Like I said I used the Schiit Mjolnir 2 which is a tube hybrid and really sent my LCD-X's to a whole new level.

Please don't think I'm bashing the amp section of this dac / amp combo because I'm not.

Just watch me enjoy my listening session!

Nice...lol..I slept with my amp the first week I got it too ... :D

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #559 of 2,569
It worked plug and play with my Note 8
Any pops?which adapter you've used?
I ordered an usb-b to micro usb but the cable sadly was fake. I checked the tablet and it's good, is a samsung tab A bought recently

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #561 of 2,569
Congrats! I felt the same way when pair with my TH-X00 Ebony's. The only difference is that no had the R2R 11 powered by my MJ2 that I have since retired. I find the amp section pretty decent by not as good as the dac. I plan on buying another higher powered amp to pair with the R2R 11 as a stand alone dac.

Was looking to do exactly what you are doing. In addition I have a balanced headphone so I want to utilize that. Am looking at the MJ2 also in addition to the NFB-1. I am leaning toward the MJ2 but am a little afraid as I didn’t like the Lyr when I had it long ago. I realize the MJ2 is a different animal but I know I like the AGD “house sound”.

Jan 6, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #564 of 2,569
Guys, what are the areas where you see most improvement with burn-in? How would you describe the changes?

Jan 6, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #565 of 2,569
Wow .. wonder what will you buy at the end of your visit :) Hope you will post some photos and maybe a video ...... Is Kingwa there?

I just bought a new NFB-11.28 and Kingwa signed the top cover interior himself! He was there. But unfortunately he speaks very basic English and I couldn’t talk audiophile with him :frowning2:

I had so many questions...

Jan 6, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #566 of 2,569
Guys, what are the areas where you see most improvement with burn-in? How would you describe the changes?

To my ears, and maybe this is completely psychological, but the amp just sounds more consistent with burn-in. I felt the amp sounded great at times and then not as great at other times. This occurred during the same session with the same music. I don’t hear those changes now after about the 50 hour mark. The bass also seems to have tightened up a bit and I will say the R2R has a magnificent heft in the low-end along with fantastic sparkle and air in the treble.

Again, this could be completely psychological as my ears and brain were getting accustomed to a lader DAC sound signature.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #567 of 2,569
To my ears, and maybe this is completely psychological, but the amp just sounds more consistent with burn-in. I felt the amp sounded great at times and then not as great at other times. This occurred during the same session with the same music. I don’t hear those changes now after about the 50 hour mark. The bass also seems to have tightened up a bit and I will say the R2R has a magnificent heft in the low-end along with fantastic sparkle and air in the treble.

Again, this could be completely psychological as my ears and brain were getting accustomed to a lader DAC sound signature.
I have similar experience of sometimes the R2R 11 sounding great and sometimes lacking sparkle (top end) and soul. Good to hear that it will stabilise.

Jan 6, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #569 of 2,569
Excuse me if this question has been already answered but I believe it has not yet been covered.
The fixed line outs of R2R 11 when feeding an integrated amp (Rega Brio) are affected by the gain switch, i.e. the music becomes louder on high gain.
Anybody knows which of the 2 settings come closer to the standard line out signal - 2V?

Jan 6, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #570 of 2,569
I just bought a new NFB-11.28 and Kingwa signed the top cover interior himself! He was there. But unfortunately he speaks very basic English and I couldn’t talk audiophile with him :frowning2:

I had so many questions...
Cool, why NFB 11.28 and not R2R 11? I understand your limitation as I have experienced them during my China visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back