Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Jan 3, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #511 of 2,569
Just picked up the R2R 11 and been critically listening for a couple hours now after a 24 hour run-in. I realize I the unit may require more burn-in but I have to say I am very impressed so far.

The build quality seems very nice - the volume knob turns with a very nice smoothness and the amp seems solid overall. This is my first listen to a ladder DAC and it definitely has a different sonic flavor that a DS DAC.

I could see how people on the “clinical” side of the fence wouldn’t like it. I doubt I have ever heard mid-range this holographic before. Notes seem to come out of no where, everywhere…a startling feeling till you get adjusted to it. Bass is very deep but somewhat less hard-edged, not soft, just more, well, natural sounding.

Utilizing a cheap USB cable straight from a MacPro via Audirvana Plus to my TH-X00 Purple Hearts and the sound is really quite amazing. Very positive impression so far.
I was talking to Kingwa and he said that NFB 11.28 would be better for me since I like EDM more, but with so many positive comments about R2R 11 I am undecided, so based on your experience with DS, do you think R2R would be better?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #512 of 2,569
I was talking to Kingwa and he said that NFB 11.28 would be better for me since I like EDM more, but with so many positive comments about R2R 11 I am undecided, so based on your experience with DS, do you think R2R would be better?

Well obviously, take what I say with a touch of salt as our listening tastes may differ as well as our gear, etc. I have issue with bright highs and very forward vocals as it seems piercing to my ears. I dislike Sabre DACs of any iteration for this reason but I do like some of the Delta Sigma DACs that don’t utilize the ESS Sabre chips like my Cal Audio Tube DAC. I like a deeper, more liquid-like presentation without being so bright or clinical. I like my sound reproduction to be smooth but at the same time I don’t want the music to be slow or too mushy either.

For me, a ladder DAC fit the bill but I didn’t want to spend an arm-and-a-leg to try it out. It seems to me the R2R 11 with it’s lower price is ideal to evaluate and if you like it it’s a win - if not, probably easy to sell with not too much loss. The only thing I can say is to try it.

My initial opinion is to say Kingwa may be right as you may find the leading edge of bass notes to be a bit soft for EDM on the R2R - only an unqualified opinion though. I would still try it!

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #513 of 2,569
Good morning Renato! I would say if your headphones are v shaped then get the 11.28, it will do magic to them. I am enjoying mine everyday as it is getting better and better.. Especially with reggae tracks with groups like Slightly Stupid, Bob Marley, Steel Pulse, etc.
https://www.leafly.com/news/pop-culture/best-electronic-dance-music-to-listen-to-while-high

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #514 of 2,569
...and a friend's HE-500.
This pairing is lovely. Synergy between the two are wonderful.

You may have to proposition your friend to sell it to you once you hear it. I only sold the HE-500 because my neck is weak. Ha.

Jan 3, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #515 of 2,569
Good morning Renato! I would say if your headphones are v shaped then get the 11.28, it will do magic to them. I am enjoying mine everyday as it is getting better and better.. Especially with reggae tracks with groups like Slightly Stupid, Bob Marley, Steel Pulse, etc.
https://www.leafly.com/news/pop-culture/best-electronic-dance-music-to-listen-to-while-high
I bought the HD 6XX but I intend to buy the Amiron or T1.2 in the future, but I thought you had R2R 11, or do you own both?

Jan 3, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #516 of 2,569
I bought the HD 6XX but I intend to buy the Amiron or T1.2 in the future, but I thought you had R2R 11, or do you own both?
Just the 11.28, I took their recommendation on that one too. You might like the R2R better, I don't like my hd6xx on the 11.28, but that's me, X2 sound better on the 11.28. 11.28 make my X2 sound almost as good as the HD6XX!

Jan 3, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #518 of 2,569
Why dont you like ?
Well, hard to say, I have the Black Edition amp, it has the bass and 3d switches to add to what the HD650 inherently lacks, soundstage. So maybe that's why I don't like it with the 11.28, but if the 11.28 and the R2R have the same soundstage then maybe following their advise is good? Not sure, sorry to add to the confusion. Im not saying its a bad combo, just compared to what I have I enjoy my HD6XX more on the iDSD amp. Its all subjective really, however, having said all that, my gut feeling is the R2R might gel better with the hd6XX.

Jan 3, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #519 of 2,569
This pairing is lovely. Synergy between the two are wonderful.

You may have to proposition your friend to sell it to you once you hear it. I only sold the HE-500 because my neck is weak. Ha.
This is my old HE-500 that I sold to him for the same reason hehehe

Jan 3, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #520 of 2,569
Well, hard to say, I have the Black Edition amp, it has the bass and 3d switches to add to what the HD650 inherently lacks, soundstage. So maybe that's why I don't like it with the 11.28, but if the 11.28 and the R2R have the same soundstage then maybe following their advise is good? Not sure, sorry to add to the confusion. Im not saying its a bad combo, just compared to what I have I enjoy my HD6XX more on the iDSD amp. Its all subjective really, however, having said all that, my gut feeling is the R2R might gel better with the hd6XX.
Well, with a difference of $200 already is expected to be better, but I would not buy because I think it too small, it should be bad to plug and unplug the connector and turn the volume knob that is tiny, despite the popularity of that mark.

Jan 3, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #521 of 2,569
This is my old HE-500 that I sold to him for the same reason hehehe
Oh man, that is hilarious. I wanted to love it - ended up loving the sound immensely, but couldn't cope with the weight. I'm not one to nitpick about comfort (I'd argue to some degree all of my headphones with the exception of the SHP9500/DT880 aren't 100% comfortable for me) but I legitimately would wake up with a sore neck if I had an extended listening with them the night before.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #522 of 2,569
Well, with a difference of $200 already is expected to be better, but I would not buy because I think it too small, it should be bad to plug and unplug the connector and turn the volume knob that is tiny, despite the popularity of that mark.
hopefully somebody can comment on the soundstage between the 2 amps here. Good luck man, you really can't make a bad choice between the 2, flip of a coin.
Edit: I went home for lunch and tried the HD6XX with the 11.28 again and it sounds good brother, mine is still burning in and if it makes anybody feel better the only reason I bought the Audi-GD is because it was said to be better than the iDSD... so maybe after a good burn in maybe?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #523 of 2,569
hopefully somebody can comment on the soundstage between the 2 amps here. Good luck man, you really can't make a bad choice between the 2, flip of a coin.
Edit: I went home for lunch and tried the HD6XX with the 11.28 again and it sounds good brother, mine is still burning in and if it makes anybody feel better the only reason I bought the Audi-GD is because it was said to be better than the iDSD... so maybe after a good burn in maybe?
Just one more question that may be the deciding factor, I know the NFB is clear and detailed but do you feel that it has a harsh and strident or soft and musical signature?

Jan 3, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #524 of 2,569
Just one more question that may be the deciding factor, I know the NFB is clear and detailed but do you feel that it has a harsh and strident or soft and musical signature?
It is not harsh or strident, very musical, and like the hd6xx will get better as they burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back