Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Apr 27, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #2,446 of 2,569
Apr 27, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #2,447 of 2,569
Apr 27, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #2,448 of 2,569
There is a note on the front page of Audio-gd in not so clear English which seems to suggest the current production is the "last batch" due to 500% cost increases in CPLDs.

Geez...that note is only in 25 pt. RED Arial font. No wonder I missed it!

Seriously, I've always been curious about this little NOS unit. May have to pick one up "just because"

(just emailed AGD for a quote)

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #2,449 of 2,569
Geez...that note is only in 25 pt. RED Arial font. No wonder I missed it!

Seriously, I've always been curious about this little NOS unit. May have to pick one up "just because"

(just emailed AGD for a quote)
Well I always say about the RME ADI-2 FS DAC that it's the best 1000 euros/dollars anybody will spend on audio.

I'll go on record and say the R2R-11 is the best $348 anybody will ever spend on audio. It's just an amazing dacamp. It has a great sound as a DAC, much beyond its price point. And the headamp is surprisingly capable. It has enough voltage to make Beyers sound good.

I suggest asking Kingwa to set the fixed output jumper for you. You will still have the variable output option, but also a fixed option to drive a preamp or integrated amp. Otherwise, the fixed output switch position is a dead-pedal to protect against tyros blowing their powered speakers.

Apr 27, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #2,450 of 2,569
Well I always say about the RME ADI-2 FS DAC that it's the best 1000 euros/dollars anybody will spend on audio.

I'll go on record and say the R2R-11 is the best $348 anybody will ever spend on audio. It's just an amazing dacamp. It has a great sound as a DAC, much beyond its price point. And the headamp is surprisingly capable. It has enough voltage to make Beyers sound good.

I suggest asking Kingwa to set the fixed output jumper for you. You will still have the variable output option, but also a fixed option to drive a preamp or integrated amp. Otherwise, the fixed output switch position is a dead-pedal to protect against tyros blowing their powered speakers.

Your final paragraph confuses me (it's me, not you...everything confuses me). Do you mean I should ask him to set the fixed output jumper so it's default? And then if I wanted, I could open the case & instead select variable output jumper?

Related questions: when one connects an interconnect to the "DAC out" RCA jacks on the back, then connects the IC to amp/speakers:
  • Does the headphone output still work at all?
  • Or is it one of those deals where if a headphone jack is plugged in, the RCA outputs are muted; but if no HP, RCA outputs are live?
Answers will help me use this in my rather complex systems here in the homely office...

Apr 27, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #2,451 of 2,569
Your final paragraph confuses me (it's me, not you...everything confuses me). Do you mean I should ask him to set the fixed output jumper so it's default? And then if I wanted, I could open the case & instead select variable output jumper?
It's probably both of us. If you take a look at the front panel pic here http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/N112801.jpg there is a switch labelled HP / Variable / Fixed

This is not exactly intuitive, but... if you ask for the jumper to be set to fixed then Variable and Fixed both work as you would expect. The surprising default is Fixed = Variable, that is to avoid the situation that when the tyro puts it on Fixed, it blew up his speakers even though the volume knob was all the way down.. waaaaah, you broke my hifi!

The jumper is glued in place and the pics are not exactly high res, so to avoid mess, it's better if Kingwa does it before shipping.

Related questions: when one connects an interconnect to the "DAC out" RCA jacks on the back, then connects the IC to amp/speakers:
  • Does the headphone output still work at all?
It's controlled by that switch labelled HP / Variable / Fixed. It does not depend on whether anything is connected to the RCA jacks or headphone jack, rather, the switch position on the front panel wins.

• Or is it one of those deals where if a headphone jack is plugged in, the RCA outputs are muted; but if no HP, RCA outputs are live?
No, controlled by the switch alone. :)

By the way the Gain switch works even in fixed output mode, which is kinda wonderful. Good stuff, Kingwa gets all the details right. Totally unsurprising device behavior, as long as the fixed jumper is set.

Edited many times due to my work schedule / lack of sleep / plentiful Czech beer.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #2,452 of 2,569
ok done editing for now :D

I lied but not on purpose. And I'm not updating the previous post which I edited 20 times.

Wanted to add, look at the switch layout... he has HP and Variable next to each other. There is no excuse for selecting Fixed unless you mean it.

Just pure UI genius. If you take a look, so much thought went into these devices.. just wow.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #2,453 of 2,569
There is no mysteries. Variable output is equal the Fixed when a pot position is in the middle. For the best quality I keep variable output around this area, so there is no danger switching to the fixed and get tweaters blown. Gain switch changes a volume on any active output (including fixed), it helps to keep a volume in the middle, as targeted.

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #2,454 of 2,569
There is no mysteries. Variable output is equal the Fixed when a pot position is in the middle. For the best quality I keep variable output around this area, so there is no danger switching to the fixed and get tweaters blown. Gain switch changes a volume on any active output (including fixed), it helps to keep a volume in the middle, as targeted.
I'm not talking about sensible people like you @sajunky

That's why I wrote tyros :wink:

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #2,456 of 2,569
Alternatively a new Amanero board can be ordered from Audio GD partners with Crystek clocks on-board. It is a plug-in replacement, no soldering. Following a suggestion from @FredA
Sorry, is this a upgrade option from AGD from their standard Amanero combo 384 ?
I didn't see the link in AGD website. Could direct me? Thank you
And what's the benefit vs ISOgen & standard Amanero?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #2,457 of 2,569
Sorry, is this a upgrade option from AGD from their standard Amanero combo 384 ?
I didn't see the link in AGD website. Could direct me? Thank you
I wrote: "Alternatively a new Amanero board can be ordered from Audio GD partners with ..."

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #2,459 of 2,569
My R2R-11 after a fix is running now at a full performance. It took two days to settle down. Similar as it was before on the old laptop power supply.

oic ...in a rush to work & didn’t read properly.
does this partners‘ arrangement means it can be send to AGD for assembly when order for new r11?
Not, it would be to complicated. You can order a new Amanero module for your DAC with Crystek clock oscilators installed and replace the orignal one yourself. This is online offer. If you are afraid of such operation, speak to them that you would like to send a DAC to them for an upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back