Audio-gd NFB-10
Aug 29, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #2,656 of 2,860
Quote:
... Will post in the nfb28 thread more detailed impression when I get more ear time with them. ....

As you are one of the first members who received NFB-28, when will you post your impression could you kindly share you opinion about sound option "Setting the NFB-28 have warmer sound:The 4 pcs jumper are pushed into the socket labeled in the red pane  for setting the NFB-28 have warmer sound." Thanks in advance.

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #2,657 of 2,860
Quote:
As you are one of the first members who received NFB-28, when will you post your impression could you kindly share you opinion about sound option "Setting the NFB-28 have warmer sound:The 4 pcs jumper are pushed into the socket labeled in the red pane  for setting the NFB-28 have warmer sound." Thanks in advance.

Yup given my proximity to audio-gd's workshop I might well be the first to have received the NFB-28.  Haven't yet have a chance to try the jumpers but out of the box with LCD3 I do feel it is musical enough.  Will try the jumper setting when I get more time to listen over the weekend.

Oh, the new casing is very nice, looks cleaner and sleeker than the 10ES2 and I definitely love the return of the volume knob.  But if you don't need analogue inputs, 10ES2 is still the better value.  This is my first purchase of audio-gd and thus far the experience had been superb.  Finally understand why so many are raving about kingwa and his products across different price range and configurations almost universally.

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #2,658 of 2,860
Quote:
Now we have confirmed that the 10ES2 has "musical warmth} in addition I hear Kingwa's amp are a tad on the dark side... any one want to elaborate

I think the supsecions of warmth [NOT GOING FOR ANALOG WARM like the 10.33] will do my new Beyers well, as my Leanish warm Lme 4990 Matrix is just enough for the lovely Jazz that makes the Dt 880 one of my favorite cans ever [even the modded  w1000x can't best the 880 in classical jazz, same for the Dt 990, still loses to the Dt 880 for jazz]

So something maybe... even a tad warmer than the Matrix  would be great, not to mention the balanced dac brining in some serious detail

My point, I think the 10ES2 and Dt 880 Balanced pair will work better than I'm hoping <3, any confirmations on how "dark/warm or Musically warm" it is would be really appreciated ;3 

As I'm looking at an OTL tube for the Beyers as well [the NFB 10ES2 can drive LOW impedance...,. yea curra tested it with iems, so it should be fine] 

The terms for this kind of thing can be confusing. Non-negative-feedback circuits tend to have a "dark" presentation since they lack some kinds of distortion that feedback designs can have. We get so used to hearing what I have always described as a kind of "haze" through the mids and treble that we are surprised when we listen through an amp that doesn't have that. 

"Warm" usually means an emphasis in the bass and a de-emphasis in the treble at the same time. I haven't encountered any Audio-gd gear that was like that.

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #2,659 of 2,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Will try the jumper setting when I get more time to listen over the weekend.

Thanks for your prompt reply, i will patiently wait.
Quote:
This is my first purchase of audio-gd and thus far the experience had been superb.  Finally understand why so many are raving about kingwa and his products across different price range and configurations almost universally.

True to that, beeing user of Auio-GD DAC's from a few years now, iam only exchaning models, not having desire to change brand:wink:

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #2,660 of 2,860
Quote:

The terms for this kind of thing can be confusing. Non-negative-feedback circuits tend to have a "dark" presentation since they lack some kinds of distortion that feedback designs can have. We get so used to hearing what I have always described as a kind of "haze" through the mids and treble that we are surprised when we listen through an amp that doesn't have that. 

"Warm" usually means an emphasis in the bass and a de-emphasis in the treble at the same time. I haven't encountered any Audio-gd gear that was like that.

Ok thanks for the correction, I always though of dark as,"emphasies mids bass and de emphasized treble" with warm having only "bass emphasis" ofc natrually bass emphasis will de emphasis mids and treble, but dark would be a double emphasis

Either way, I like what you've defeined. So this haze... de emphasis the mids, allowing the treble to more be more forward 

where as something without the haze has mids more natrually [which honestly sounds like what I'm looking for. The w1000x, and all beyers have great treble, they can take a touch more mids

so still very excited and thank your Curra 

Hmm new question, the sound of this compared to a Hifiman Hm 801 :O, which has the  Burr-Brown PCM1704U-K, that chip is... really good is it not? That being said, sound wise how will the Audio GD compare to that... [the amp has more power than it so it won't compete for my at home use slot] but I'm just curious how my Portable and at home set ups will differ,

I'll be paring the Hifiman Hm 801 with a Jds Labs C5 as well, both set ups will be driving a Beyer Dt 880 60o ohm, 

Sep 3, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #2,661 of 2,860
Well this thing is HUGE!

Anyway Im concerned about acidental bumping the High Gain on remote when using my speakers.

I wouldnt dare go over 60 on volume with low gain as its plenty & would high gain blow my speakers if i did?

Anyone just WMP with this no problems? I seriously cant tell any quality diffrence from foobar.

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #2,662 of 2,860
Perhaps wait for ES2 with volume knob

Going to be a month before I do anything, so I'll have to wait.

Still I should go with the 10.33 as I should not be buying ANYTHING like a balanced dac at all, so since I'm already spending cash I shouldn't... need to... GET THE MOST FOR LE MONEY

So yea in a month we'll see if the new ES3 is out

FYI and for those who interested. Kingwa as usual listen and now on NFB-10ES2 there is b/m info.
"Custom order : For some customers advice, we have offer the custom order version, price +USD50 .
 1, Upgrade the chassis .
 2, Upgrade to 4 groups digital inputs (Coaxial RCA / Coaxial BNC / Optical / USB)
 3, More outputs ports available in DAC mode and Preamp mode, and they can be connected simultaneously. (XLR*2 , RCA *2, ACSS *1) .
 4, OCC wires ."

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #2,663 of 2,860
As if I wasn't confused enough already what to purchase... Nice upgrade option though, but I would appreciate if they could simplify their options and for that price the NFB-28 is only $50 more... This just confirms my suspicion that the NFB-10ES2 is going to be discontinued when they run out of older style chassis.

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #2,665 of 2,860
As if I wasn't confused enough already what to purchase... Nice upgrade option though, but I would appreciate if they could simplify their options and for that price the NFB-28 is only $50 more... This just confirms my suspicion that the NFB-10ES2 is going to be discontinued when they run out of older style chassis.

NFB28 has analog inputs that even the 10ES2 upgraded don't.

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #2,667 of 2,860
Yes it does, when you go to 10ES2 site you will see, the upgrade description along with photos of the upgraded case.

dmn... got quoted 633 for the old es2 with shipping n 2rca outs usb+ coax in. Digital volume buttons n no knob... do i really want to pay 50 for... inputs n out puts I dont want >.> more importantly how does the knobless es2 re sell against the upgrade

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #2,669 of 2,860
Aswell as larger R-Core transformer.

but its also $150 more... still mo bang for that dolla... nah i still think at 633 shipped the es2 is best deal... still how does tgat upgrade to power transfer sonically

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #2,670 of 2,860
but its also $150 more... still mo bang for that dolla... nah i still think at 633 shipped the es2 is best deal... still how does tgat upgrade to power transfer sonically

Kingwa also recommended me to go with the 10ES2 if I don't need the analog inputs and he even went as far as saying sonically they should be largely the same. He also sounded like a fellow consumer sharing his view against buying unnecessary features in our email exchanges. I still went for the nfb28 as even it is more expensive than the 10es2 it is still a tremendous value against other brand's offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back