Audio-gd NFB-10
Aug 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #2,641 of 2,860
While I wait for arrival, can someone tell me what cable to buy for HD600 & HD800 that will plug into this?

At the front its XLR & what looks like RCA?

Would this cable do? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Upgrade-Cable-SENNHEISER-HD580-HD600-HD650-XLR-VER-/320590860004

You need a different cable for each headphone.
The headphone outputs are 4 pin xlr (balanced) and TRS (single end).
I have the cable you mention and it certainly does the job for HD600. Sonically it is exactly as the HD650 cable.
By far less expensive is to reterminate yourself the default cables of your headphones. You can even buy the parts from Audio gd (http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Phoenix/ModifyEN.htm) and just borrow a soldering iron and a multimeter for half an hour.

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2,642 of 2,860
Now we have confirmed that the 10ES2 has "musical warmth} in addition I hear Kingwa's amp are a tad on the dark side... any one want to elaborate

I think the supsecions of warmth [NOT GOING FOR ANALOG WARM like the 10.33] will do my new Beyers well, as my Leanish warm Lme 4990 Matrix is just enough for the lovely Jazz that makes the Dt 880 one of my favorite cans ever [even the modded  w1000x can't best the 880 in classical jazz, same for the Dt 990, still loses to the Dt 880 for jazz]

So something maybe... even a tad warmer than the Matrix  would be great, not to mention the balanced dac brining in some serious detail

My point, I think the 10ES2 and Dt 880 Balanced pair will work better than I'm hoping <3, any confirmations on how "dark/warm or Musically warm" it is would be really appreciated ;3 

As I'm looking at an OTL tube for the Beyers as well [the NFB 10ES2 can drive LOW impedance...,. yea curra tested it with iems, so it should be fine] 

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #2,643 of 2,860
The Audio-Gd amps are certainly less warm than the M-Stage.
Unless there's something warmer than the SA-31 (which I own) in the line-up, but I highly doubt it.

As for the DACs, the reference line (PCM1704) is dark, the other not so much (including the M7 from what I could read). They all have more (WM8741) or less (ES9018) warmth in their tone with meaty mids (almost wet?).

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #2,644 of 2,860
Quote:
The Audio-Gd amps are certainly less warm than the M-Stage.
Unless there's something warmer than the SA-31 (which I own) in the line-up, but I highly doubt it.

As for the DACs, the reference line (PCM1704) is dark, the other not so much (including the M7 from what I could read). They all have more (WM8741) or less (ES9018) warmth in their tone with meaty mids (almost wet?).

Well my M Stage does not have the stock OP amp [which is very warm, like the JDS Labs C5] the LME 49990 that's in there sounds a little punchier with a good tone. Again the Matrix and Dt 880 are wonderful with Reggae, Classical/Vocal Jazz and Nu Jazz,. Still, meaty almost wet mids sounds about right, the Dt 990 has VERY meaty mids, although they are still a touch dry. Where as the Dt 880 is a tad leaner but a little wetter 

Meat for me indicates Weight or slight impact on the attack of the mids, where as Wettness or body hits the decay, the decay adds body, little to much decay and you get THICK mids, too little decay and you get a thinner mid. Combine the weight of the attack, with a quick decay and you get the 990, the dt 880 has... a little less attack and a tad more decay, making it to me sound a bit more Smooth, and interestingly for my enjoyement, the quicker tighter mids of the 990 are great with Classical, [Cellos are epic] but boring with Rock and Jazz, where as the Dt 880 does poor with classical, and better with Reggae and Jazz

Lastly, the W1000x has the best combo of Weighty attack and thick decay [wood cups thanks] making it my Rock and Vocal can... so I still expect these mid qualities to be evident and enhanced on the Audio GD 10ES2. 

Either way, worst comes to worse I'll hate it and sell it super quick in head fi, but I doubt that will happen. 

Interesting note the oDac has a ESS Sabre ES9023 Dac in it.... WHere as the AUdio GD 10ES2 has dual  ESS Sabre ES9018... sounds like a winner to me! With the AUdio GD having a simmilar sound to the oDac [although with refinment and improvements im sure[ 

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #2,646 of 2,860
Quote:

Interesting note the oDac has a ESS Sabre ES9023 Dac in it.... WHere as the AUdio GD 10ES2 has dual  ESS Sabre ES9018... sounds like a winner to me! With the AUdio GD having a simmilar sound to the oDac [although with refinment and improvements im sure[ 

10ES2 is single ES9018.  It doesn't really matter as one is enough for this structure, it can run dual mono for fully balanced on it's own.  Getting the true benefits out of running two ES9018 is probably not worth the cost, even the higher tier NFB-7.32 and NFB-27 with 3 transformers, twice or more Class A PSUs still just use one ES9018.  I see Kingwa's decision here.

The ES9023 is just the little brother... the flagship of ESS is ES9018.

Although I haven't used or heard the odac, I would say it's probably not a fair comparison to the NFB-10 series, looking at components.  I know implementation is more important, but I wouldn't really believe an odac is superior to something like the 10ES2.

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #2,647 of 2,860
10ES2 is single ES9018.  It doesn't really matter as one is enough for this structure, it can run dual mono for fully balanced on it's own.  Getting the true benefits out of running two ES9018 is probably not worth the cost, even the higher tier NFB-7.32 and NFB-27 with 3 transformers, twice or more Class A PSUs still just use one ES9018.  I see Kingwa's decision here.

Although I haven't used or heard the odac, I would say it's probably not a fair comparison to the NFB-10 series, looking at components.  I know implementation is more important, but I wouldn't really believe an odac is superior to something like the 10ES2.

Mine is not 10es2 but nfb28 but they should sound largely the same.

Compared to the hm901 LO to the analog inputs of the nfb28, the dual 9018 in the hm901 seems to be slightly more resolving with a touch more contrast and air. However, I actually preferred the nfb28's single 9018 implementation more. I tjink to me it sounded more musical and engaging, without losing much details. These are impressions with the LCD3 via balanced out.

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #2,648 of 2,860
ODAC is good for the money but in my opinion from when I had the ODAC and NFB10WM at the same time is that they are not in the same class.
Quote:

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #2,650 of 2,860
Quote:

Quote:
ODAC is good for the money but in my opinion from when I had the ODAC and NFB10WM at the same time is that they are not in the same class.

My point was that the 10ES2 will sound better, I'm not saying the oDac is compareable. I'm purely talking about sonic presentation, without the fuss of nuances. Wolfson Dacs are know to be warm are they not, well the ESS Sabre ES9018 is more clear and detailed, that being said the little brother to that should retain that detail and clarity in the sound, ofc the Flagship will be better, [more detailed ect... ect...] the point I made is the 10ES2 will be a clear upgrade in terms of the sound I'm used to and prefer, 

Trust me If I thought my oDac was worth keeping, I wouldn't be here getting ready to drop $600 on a Audio GD 10ES2. So still excited about it :D 

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #2,652 of 2,860
Mine is not 10es2 but nfb28 but they should sound largely the same.

Compared to the hm901 LO to the analog inputs of the nfb28, the dual 9018 in the hm901 seems to be slightly more resolving with a touch more contrast and air. However, I actually preferred the nfb28's single 9018 implementation more. I tjink to me it sounded more musical and engaging, without losing much details. These are impressions with the LCD3 via balanced out.
That's a comparison I was eagerly waiting to read!
Don't know where the 901 sits in the realm of desktop DACs, could you give some more input on how it stacks up against the NFB-28?
Does it have the same slam or authority on the sound? How is the imaging capability? Does it sound smaller in scale?

Thanks B-)

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #2,653 of 2,860
Quote:

My point was that the 10ES2 will sound better, I'm not saying the oDac is compareable. I'm purely talking about sonic presentation, without the fuss of nuances. Wolfson Dacs are know to be warm are they not, well the ESS Sabre ES9018 is more clear and detailed, that being said the little brother to that should retain that detail and clarity in the sound, ofc the Flagship will be better, [more detailed ect... ect...] the point I made is the 10ES2 will be a clear upgrade in terms of the sound I'm used to and prefer, 

Trust me If I thought my oDac was worth keeping, I wouldn't be here getting ready to drop $600 on a Audio GD 10ES2. So still excited about it :D 

Yes I understand you weren't really saying it's comparable.  Not trying to stir things up sorry.  I was just trying to say it's probably not a fair comparison..

And also I just tried to correct some misunderstandings that the 10ES2 is dual ES9018 (it's not, and probably not necessary).

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #2,654 of 2,860
Quote:

Yes I understand you weren't really saying it's comparable.  Not trying to stir things up sorry.  I was just trying to say it's probably not a fair comparison..

And also I just tried to correct some misunderstandings that the 10ES2 is dual ES9018 (it's not, and probably not necessary).

No no, I appreciate the correction. I read [Dual Wolfson] clicks on the ES2 and reads {Dual ESS SABRE ect...] a silly mistake on my part. But again they are comparable like... a Choice Sirloin Steak, and a Preimum Top Sirlion cut

Both come from a cow, but one tastes a LOT BETTER than the other. Still Steak is steak you know what I mean, with one clear winner over the other. Yet both will taste like "steak" although, the Choice cut is going to be... tougher, not as full flavored, not nearly as smooth of a mouth feel [ect... ect...] 

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #2,655 of 2,860
That's a comparison I was eagerly waiting to read!
Don't know where the 901 sits in the realm of desktop DACs, could you give some more input on how it stacks up against the NFB-28?
Does it have the same slam or authority on the sound? How is the imaging capability? Does it sound smaller in scale?

Thanks B-)

I am also interested to know where the 901 dac section stands among desktop dac since dual 9018 implementation are still not very common. Was debating if I should get the 10.33 for a different wolfson sound but went with nfb28 finally. Will post in the nfb28 thread more detailed impression when I get more ear time with them. I also have a dual 8740 ak120 to compare but it doesn't have true lineout....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back