Audio-gd NFB-10
Aug 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #2,611 of 2,860
http://www.head-fi.org/t/677479/beyerdynamic-dt880-600ohm-with-zxac-recable
Quote:
Some back ground on me, I don't listen to a lot of 24bit audio. I prefer 16bit due to a lack of Hard Drive Space atm. And I currently use my oDac and Matrix M Stage as my main combo. While I enjoy the warmth a tube adds to neutral headphones [such as the Akg K550] I find i like the details and improved imagining of a Solid State.  That being said I'm stuck at the roads of getting a Hybrid Tube to pair with my w1000x and Akg K550, or selling my Matrix M Stage, my oDac and getting an Audio GD 10.32

In addition I'm currently and very aggressivly pursuing a Balanced single 4pin XLR recabled Dt 880 atm, and hopefully I can get it. But if I don't... well I will at another point in time. 

But I'm curious 

additionally would the 10.32 be a good option to drive low and high impedance cans? Such as a 600 ohm Balanced beyer, and a 32 ohm non balanced w1000x 

Lastly how does the Pre Amp section of the amp sound? I do like the "warm yet lean" sound of the Matrix M Stage with an LME 49990, as well as the over all nuetrality of the oDac 

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #2,612 of 2,860
Quote:
OMG, such a good DEAL. 

Yes that is INDEED the very item am I SO desperatly trying to purchase! I have to the end of the week to get the money, otherwise the seller will be open to other inquires. Needless to say I HOPE it does not sell for a month as that would give me extra time to get the funds, non the less I do WANT that ITEM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! 

That being said, I have heard people comparing the Matrix to the Violetric 200, with both units having simmilar performance. The Vioelectric ahead by very slim margins.

That being said I really do want one of these! Any one who's owned an oDac on windows 7 64bit have any input on the drivers? 

In addition in theory, the Audio GD has two DAC only out puts on the back correct? How does one switch between these, would the H/P be the button to choose, and would it select from the 3 outputs on the back as well? I'm really thinking of getting mine with the 2 rca's as I am more likely to own an OTL Vaccum Tube amp and a Hybrid Tube amp before I get another Audio GD Solid State.

Non the less I'd love to hear it, and the potential for 2 Dac Outs would be excellent! Although It will be around the Spring before I'm able to get it, so again getting the SE variant might be nice at that time. Although which has more 3D space and details, the 10.32SE or the 10.32. If the biggest differeance is slight warmth, then the cheaper one would be a better idea. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #2,613 of 2,860
Quote:
Yes that is INDEED the very item am I SO desperatly trying to purchase! I have to the end of the week to get the money, otherwise the seller will be open to other inquires. Needless to say I HOPE it does not sell for a month as that would give me extra time to get the funds, non the less I do WANT that ITEM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! 

That being said, I have heard people comparing the Matrix to the Violetric 200, with both units having simmilar performance. The Vioelectric ahead by very slim margins.

That being said I really do want one of these! Any one who's owned an oDac on windows 7 64bit have any input on the drivers? 

In addition in theory, the Audio GD has two DAC only out puts on the back correct? How does one switch between these, would the H/P be the button to choose, and would it select from the 3 outputs on the back as well? I'm really thinking of getting mine with the 2 rca's as I am more likely to own an OTL Vaccum Tube amp and a Hybrid Tube amp before I get another Audio GD Solid State.

Non the less I'd love to hear it, and the potential for 2 Dac Outs would be excellent! Although It will be around the Spring before I'm able to get it, so again getting the SE variant might be nice at that time. Although which has more 3D space and details, the 10.32SE or the 10.32. If the biggest differeance is slight warmth, then the cheaper one would be a better idea. 

If I remember well, more than one of the 3 dac/pre outputs of NFB-10 can be active at the same time.
There is no 10.32SE, I suppose you meant 10ES2.
I don't expect that the biggest difference between 10.32 and 10ES2 is a slight warmth delta.

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #2,614 of 2,860
The RCA and the XLR outs were active simultaneously on my NFB-10SE. Unless Kingwa's made some changes, the H/P button only toggles between the headphone amp and the preamp/line out. 

There is a jumper inside the case you can use to determine whether the volume setting affects the line out. In your case, you will want to disable this function since it looks like you'll be using the NFB-10 as a dac for other amps and not as a preamp for speakers.

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #2,615 of 2,860
Quote:
The RCA and the XLR outs were active simultaneously on my NFB-10SE. Unless Kingwa's made some changes, the H/P button only toggles between the headphone amp and the preamp/line out. 

There is a jumper inside the case you can use to determine whether the volume setting affects the line out. In your case, you will want to disable this function since it looks like you'll be using the NFB-10 as a dac for other amps and not as a preamp for speakers.

KingWa will also ship the unit already set to Fixed Line out so there's that issues

my last is my OMG I WON THEM YAY, Beyer Dt 880 600 Ohm Balanced cans only have a max power capcity of 100mw... should I use the OMG POWERFUL, Audio GD to power them? I am told that at 100mW into a 600ohm load they would push out 114 dB of sound [which is painfully loud] so I assume yes, but I'd like to be 100% sure and I'd love to see the math that equals 114db [at 96 db efficiany] for 100mW of power, and I do understand that wat's = V*A. also can be expressed as V^2/Ohms [or R] and correct my math if I am wrong :O 

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #2,616 of 2,860
Well I got my 10ES2 a few days ago. The driver had to be installed manually through device manager, and then using the installer to complete properly for some reason.

I'm mainly comparing it to the original audio-gd compass I have, which I mainly used with spdif or optical. since they sounded better then the usb. At first I tried it with my hd600, since I had a balanced cable for them. It was quite a big improvement, and got rid of the veil. I also tried it single ended with the same cable and adapter, and the volume was alot lower, and it wasn't quite as clean and clear, but I thought there would be a bigger difference.

I tried with my hd800 which I just have the stock single-ended cable for. At first I didn't think there was much of a difference compared to the compass, besides the volume control, since the compass had channel imbalance at low volumes and poor bass. Then I decided to compare them and was surprised how muddy and distorted the compass was in comparison to the 10ES2. Ignorance really was bliss, I keep hearing new details, I didn't know were there. Eventually I'll get a hd800 balanced cable, it just seems like half the price of 10ES2 for a cable is too much.

Last I used the rca, and xlr outs to classe ca-100 power amp and magenpan mg12's speakers. The first thing I noticed was the low volume control was alot better. I didn't notice much difference between xlr and rca but being in an apartment I don't want to play them too loud.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with 10ES2, I thought there couldn't be that much of a difference between external dacs but I was wrong. Hopefully this is the level where diminishing returns become apparent, or I stay ignorant, instead of broke. 

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #2,617 of 2,860
I wish to congratulate Kingwa for another great product. The 10ES2 just opened up the world of internet radio to me. I used the DAC's USB32 to receive high bitrate classical music streams from my laptop. The sound is clear as crystal. FREE music from numerous high quality music stations. Superb. Now I am going to set up a music server for radio, high rez files etc. n wonder if oyaide usb cable is  good to make a difference.

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #2,620 of 2,860
The WM8741 in dual mono configuration is amazingly done well on Kingwa's products. I much prefer it to the ESS9018 DAC as it just sounds more musical with a touch of warmth. In theory it should also have a much higher SNR.

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #2,622 of 2,860
Quote:
The WM8741 in dual mono configuration is amazingly done well on Kingwa's products. I much prefer it to the ESS9018 DAC as it just sounds more musical with a touch of warmth. In theory it should also have a much higher SNR.

Quote:
Perhaps wait for ES2 with volume knob

Going to be a month before I do anything, so I'll have to wait. 

Still I should go with the 10.33 as I should not be buying ANYTHING like a balanced dac at all, so since I'm already spending cash I shouldn't... need to... GET THE MOST FOR LE MONEY

So yea in a month we'll see if the new ES3 is out 

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #2,623 of 2,860
Few remarks of mine
Quote:
Another new member joins the family, enter the NFB10.33 !

Upgrade from NFB-10.32 (WM8741), with remote control, Discrete  DAC+ Headphone amplifier / Preamplifier
As with the current range, new chasis with added inputs making it an AIO. 

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB10.33/NFB10.33EN.htm

He truly never sleeps...:wink:. Yet what we have in this is exact same 10.32 mainboard put into newer case + volume steps upgraded + double output count. In case of 10ES2, its a bit different case the new project of mainboard, but put into 10.32 case, hence for filter not so logical buton.
Quote:
Still don't know if I should get the Es2 or the 10.33 >.> does the extra $100 make it worth while >.> 

Not quite ES2 is USD 580 as of promo price for the time beeing, 10.33 is a unknown openly promoprice, yet below USD 580. Its clearly says "Promo now, send email to  audio-gd@126.com ask the promo price !", so resume actual price difference is not openly known.
Quote:
The WM8741 in dual mono configuration is amazingly done well on Kingwa's products.

Agreed, truly excellent implementation.
Quote:
Perhaps wait for ES2 with volume knob

You do not have to. You have already received it, its NFB-28 and i do not think you will see another.
Quote:

Going to be a month before I do anything, so I'll have to wait. 

Still I should go with the 10.33 as I should not be buying ANYTHING like a balanced dac at all, so since I'm already spending cash I shouldn't... need to... GET THE MOST FOR LE MONEY

So yea in a month we'll see if the new ES3 is out 

As i said above ES3 has already arrived in from of NFB-28 (ES2 with volume knob). From IMHO point of view the best choice for today is NFB-28, in case of price vs. usabililty vs. build quaulity.

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #2,625 of 2,860
NFB-28 is NFB-10 plus line in (or a balanced Compass 2, if you prefer). As of necessity it should always be "better" (and more expensive) than the corresponding NFB-10.
Audio gd mentions on 10.33 that it has more analog sound, which could be of interest to some.
An NFB-10 or NFB-28 with pcm1704uk is likely to be much more expensive.
It seems that up to this time there are no impressions on the Audio gd pcm5102 dacs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back