Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jun 29, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #3,886 of 4,156
Jun 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #3,887 of 4,156
All Squeezboxes have ARM CPUs, but as far as I know only the Squeezebox Touch has both an ARM CPU and Linux.

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #3,888 of 4,156
Yet another mini-review:

I've had the DI-V3 (TCXO) + DI PSU for a few weeks now.
USB Input comes from my Home Theater PC, and output goes to my Metrum Octave DA converter
Digital coaxial cable is a Canare LV-77S at 5 foot (consistent with the "minimum" length of 1.5M to avoid internal reflection - a controversial subject) and terminated with BNC (DI side) and RCA (Metrum DA side)

(The rest of my current system is a Sonic Frontiers tube preamp and a Topping TP60 amp driving a pair of Genesis Physics 320 speakers. Other amps include: Paradigm Halo A3 and B&K Pro 600. Other speakers are Celestion SL6 and SL600, Spica TC-50i and Infinity Kappa 7)

I used to be a skeptic of jitter and digital noise affecting sound.
I've been completely converted by the major improvement in sound quality with the DI.
A noticeable amount of digital "grit" is gone - and in it's place more actual detail and better overall articulation of the recording. I'm pretty certain that Foobar in KS mode (which is now an output option with the Audio-gd ) is even better than WASAPI mode, but not 100% sure. 
In any event Foobar output of all files - compressed or otherwise - seems to be cleaner than streaming via MOG or other computer sources.

Excellent product!

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #3,889 of 4,156
Quote:
Yet another mini-review:

I've had the DI-V3 (TCXO) + DI PSU for a few weeks now.
USB Input comes from my Home Theater PC, and output goes to my Metrum Octave DA converter
Digital coaxial cable is a Canare LV-77S at 5 foot (consistent with the "minimum" length of 1.5M to avoid internal reflection - a controversial subject) and terminated with BNC (DI side) and RCA (Metrum DA side)

(The rest of my current system is a Sonic Frontiers tube preamp and a Topping TP60 amp driving a pair of Genesis Physics 320 speakers. Other amps include: Paradigm Halo A3 and B&K Pro 600. Other speakers are Celestion SL6 and SL600, Spica TC-50i and Infinity Kappa 7)

I used to be a skeptic of jitter and digital noise affecting sound.
I've been completely converted by the major improvement in sound quality with the DI.
A noticeable amount of digital "grit" is gone - and in it's place more actual detail and better overall articulation of the recording. I'm pretty certain that Foobar in KS mode (which is now an output option with the Audio-gd ) is even better than WASAPI mode, but not 100% sure. 
In any event Foobar output of all files - compressed or otherwise - seems to be cleaner than streaming via MOG or other computer sources.

Excellent product!

If you're up to it, try a demo of Jriver media player software (and make sure to select all the upsampling options). I noticed an increase in depth on my speakers. Also, try to get the Asio driver for the DI-V3 working if you can. Lastly, update the DI-V3 to firmware #7 if it isn't already. 

Each of these things will provide an increase in realism and soundstage. And based on what i've heard, you are correct that kernal streaming sounds better than wasapi. Enjoy!

Jul 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #3,890 of 4,156
Very cool... will give the Jriver player a shot.

Seeing KS available in Foobar was a pleasant surprise - I'm running Windows 7 Pro  and my prior attempts to get either ASIO or KS modes working weren't successful - but that was SPDIF of course - and USB works differently.

On the upsampling, I'm biased towards having digital playback configured for NOS (Non-oversampling) - 
at least ever since I first heard the relatively inexpensive VALAB NOS unit (based on the early Philips chips) And I'm now using the better quality Metrum Acoustics NOS unit.
Still, I've experimented with Foobar's DSP upsampling modes and they seem to work well.
Definitely worth trying out the highly rated Jriver player.

I changed the firmware over to #10 a few days ago - went well just as in the video (as posted in this thread about a week ago).

Question:
Does anyone know of a way to configure *streaming media* - like MOG, Pandora, Spotify, etc. to be output via KS, Asio, or Wasapi modes?
I'm pretty sure that the streaming media arrives at the computer in the native 44.1Khz - but then it's converted to the Windows 48Khz. I've experimented with a few streaming rippers and the files themselves are 44.1Khz (Pandora files, for examples are 44.1Khz streamed @ 192 kbps). 
Seems like there should be a way to stream radio - without the 48Khz conversion. I did see a post about using "Fidelify" to allow bit-perfect streaming with Spotify. Might try to revisit that.

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #3,891 of 4,156
I have difficulty to get firmware #7, #9 and #10 to run on SBT, I can only get the Adaptive mode to run on my SBT which is firmware #4?

Anybody has the same problem as me? I tried reinstall the EDO kernel and the testing Kernel but made no difference

Any suggestion that I can try?

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #3,893 of 4,156
@ jimmychan

I have tested alot with the different firmwares (#3-#10). I am using SlimServer 7.8.0 r16739, Triode's EDO w default Kernel.

Firmware #3 gives a perfect working function in Adaptive mode.

Firmware #4 wasn't working stable at all. Corrupt frequence and corrupt sound most tries.(didn't really support Linux/SBT) 
Firmware #7 didn't support Linux/SBT...same result.

Firmware #8 ..First with support for Linux/SBT...but with a 88.2 kHz-problem.

Firmware #9  This one is well working in Asynchronous mode and it is the right choice SBT-DAC w VT1731 USB input. (32 bit)

Firmware #10 Is developed for allowing DI-V3 to output SPDIF on coax-out (24 bít) when it's connected to the SBT.
/Jan

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #3,894 of 4,156
Quote:
Some USB DACs could be driven directly by iPad + USB connector kit, I am talking about iPad 1 or 2 here but it could be applied to latest iPad with Retina display / iPad mini. Could someone test it?

Details:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad

Does it support Linux with ARM CPU with FW#10? I am thinking to use my Raspberry Pi to drive it.

Could anyone please test and answer these questions?

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #3,896 of 4,156
Quote:
It's been a while since I posted in my own thread, but I'm sort of wondering if a DI-V3 could improve the SPDIF output of my Macbook. Can any of you guys chime in and share some opinions?

Well, the usb input on the DI-V3 would certainly sound better and be preferable to the spdif. As far as computer transports, it doesn't get much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back