NOTICE: Since the more recent OS upgrades allow most DACs to work*, I'm not planning on trying to keep this table updated. However, there is still lots of good discussion continuing in the thread, so read on!
* Many of the DACs do require external power, so some people define "work" as "work *without* external power" and some allow the supply of external power (like from an USB hub).
As discussed in other threads, the Apple iPad can output audio to some external USB DAC using the Camera Connection Kit. Here is a list of what works and what doesn't.
Note, there are some restrictions on what is supported. Here are some tidbits lifted from this discussion:
USB-Audio 1.0 class specification only supporting full speed
> 4) I take it that self powered Class 1 Audio devices could be > connected directly to the the Camera Connection Kit? if they draw less than 100mA, otherwise you need a powered hub.
> 2) Will standard Feature items like Volume and Mute be included? yes, assuming that the audio topology is not too complicated
> Paul devices that require device drivers (i.e. M-Audio Transit) > would not be considered a Class 1 compliant device. correct. we aren't support custom drivers at this point.
> 5) Would sample rates be limited to 32, 44.1, 48 @ 16 bits or > would high res devices to 24/96 (Class 1 top end) be supported? at the moment we only support 16bit (and the device needs to be in that mode before it is connected). We are planning on supporting 24bit in the future. Sample rate is an interesting issue.. up to 48kHz is already supported cleanly. If you want more than that, you should file a feature request (bug report).
From a practical perspective, this suggests you want a 16-bit DAC that can run from batteries (disable charging circuit), or you power externally (like using a USB hub).
But, let's see what really works and what doesn't. Please contribute to this list by noting what you have found that does and what does not work in this thread.
Also, note issues and workarounds you may have employed.
[ Last update 11/28/2010 ]
- Nuforce uDAC [Skylab, Headphoneaddict, uofmtiger, torcik; BryanP reports too much power error]
- DacMagic [uofmtiger]
- Xitel Pro Hifi-Link [deadie]
- Predator [jc9394, HeadphoneAddict] (have to put the volume to 100%)
- iBasso D4 [Headphoneaddict (see post #59)]
- iBasso D1 [trickywombat]
- iBasso D3 [hypoicon]
- iBasso D10 [qusp - doesn't work; HeadphoneAddict (see post #59), rhw - works (charging off)]
- iBasso D12 [dsissitka]
- Pico DAC [Headphoneaddict, warp08]
- Micro II usb/digital [kredmore]
- Headroom Total BitHead [qin]
- Headroom Desktop Portable amp w/DAC [muski]
- TTVJ Portable w/DAC [grawk]
- TTVJ Slim DAC/Amp [gopack87]
- Fiio E7 [Jack-Micca, feiao]
- C&C F1U USB DAC/Amp [phytonix]
- Meier Corda Symphony DAC/Amp [Noumenon]
- Little Dot Dac1 [uofmtiger]
- devilsound v2.1 dac [decur]
- Music Hall DAC 25.2 [Skylab]
- Vivid Technologies V1 USB DAC HD AMP [ccklone]
- Valab NOS USB DAC [ccklone]
- Aune USB DAC/AMP [ccklone]
- Sigtone h1 - without any trouble [rhw]
- USB monica NOS DAC - no problems [rhw]
- DACport (works after flash update, needs external power plugged in) [HeadphoneAddict, shigzeo]
- HA Info NG Coax USB to SPDIF Converter [rhw]
- maverick audio D1 [Mavwong]
- Keces DA-151 USB DAC [maogua]
- Hot Audio DAC Extasy (plug USB cable into DAC and Camera Kit First, then into iPad) [grokit]
- HA NG98 [roymor]
- Firestone Libby (headphone amp) and DAC [shigzeo]
- Firestone Rubby (power amp) and DAC [shigzeo]
- Musical Fildelity V-DAC [Dwaalspoor98]
- Buffalo32S [erd]
- Headroom Desktop Amp [Durandal]
- PS Audio DAC Link III [DjAmTraX]
- Little Dot DAC mk II [alysony]
- 3MOVE [HeadphoneAddict - see post 59 for instructions]
- XM5 [HeadphoneAddict - see post 59 for instructions]
- Vivid Audio Tech V1 [HeadphoneAddict]
- nuForce Icon Mobile [yukster doesn't work; HeadphoneAddict - works, see post #59 for instructions]
- Beresford 7520 [Bazzman]
- Project USB Box [Bazzman]
- Headphonia DAC cable [qc98, shigzeo - works; utdeep - works but seems "lifeless"]
- PopPulse PCM 1796 DAC [rhw - first an error message, but after reconnection works fine]
- MobilePre (legacy) [porieux]
- iQube V2 portable [Skylab]
- Yulong D100 home DAC [Skylab]
- PWD [jc9394]
- uDAC-2 [headphoneaddict]
- Hot Audio DAC-Extacy USB DAC [ccklone - dialog box;too much power]
- M2 Hiface USB stick [ccklone - not really a DAC, but didn't work feeding a "known good" DAC]
- Superpro 707 USB [jankovic]
- Soundprime de-jitter box/DAC (24/96) [shigzeo; WORKS with iOS 4.2! - shigzeo]
POWER WORKAROUND: A number of people have noted that a simple workaround to DACs that draw too much power is to plug into a powered USB hub.
Edited by ccfoodog - 4/6/11 at 7:28pm