Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jan 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #3,451 of 4,156
I was hoping to get a little confirmation from fellow owners of the DI-V3 and DI-PSU.  I recently DIYed a usb cable with the VBUS or 5v wire severed.  When I compared the diy wire to a standard usb cable the DI-V3 had a much more analog sound.  I asked Kingwa about this since he told me before I bought the DI that it wouldn't use USB power if attached to the PSU:

"The DI V3 don't use the +5V wire while use extra PSU.
Disconnect the +5V wires total have less interrupt to the data wires.
Kingwa"

I was hoping we have a few diyers who can also test this out.  The 5v wire is either red or orange in standard usb 2.0 cables.  If we have enough confirmation of what I was hearing then we would have a real easy way to further isolate our dacs from computer noise since the DI truly needs no usb power to operate its clock unlike a lot of other USB audio solutions.

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #3,452 of 4,156
Quote:
I was hoping to get a little confirmation from fellow owners of the DI-V3 and DI-PSU.  I recently DIYed a usb cable with the VBUS or 5v wire severed.  When I compared the diy wire to a standard usb cable the DI-V3 had a much more analog sound.  I asked Kingwa about this since he told me before I bought the DI that it wouldn't use USB power if attached to the PSU:

"The DI V3 don't use the +5V wire while use extra PSU.
Disconnect the +5V wires total have less interrupt to the data wires.
Kingwa"

I was hoping we have a few diyers who can also test this out.  The 5v wire is either red or orange in standard usb 2.0 cables.  If we have enough confirmation of what I was hearing then we would have a real easy way to further isolate our dacs from computer noise since the DI truly needs no usb power to operate its clock unlike a lot of other USB audio solutions.

Great! :)
That answered my question...

It seems that I will need to make a surgery on my future USB cable...
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #3,453 of 4,156
Good afternoon! I want to afford the latest product from the AUDIO GD DI-V3 but after TE8802 (which comes bundled with the DAC), I have serious doubts.
I will give you advice! The best sound quality I've heard from a PC, which is the image SACD-R using
foobar and plug "foo_input_sacd" which encodes online stream from DSD to PCM. Comparing with even the quality losslless meaningless - the sound SACD-R wins instantly, even with the conversion to PCM!
Sorry about that little known and people just do not want to develop.
With TE8802 using foo_input_sacd kernel out on falling blue windows error crash USB driver. With ASIO - was stable, but the fall there.
Asked the friend to check the functionality of the new devices, but is not so sure.
Can you check a bunch of SACD-R + foobar?
If your system is still quite high quality selected, then after that you will not regret.
Thank you! !

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #3,455 of 4,156
Quote:
Good afternoon! I want to afford the latest product from the AUDIO GD DI-V3 but after TE8802 (which comes bundled with the DAC), I have serious doubts.
I will give you advice! The best sound quality I've heard from a PC, which is the image SACD-R using
foobar and plug "foo_input_sacd" which encodes online stream from DSD to PCM. Comparing with even the quality losslless meaningless - the sound SACD-R wins instantly, even with the conversion to PCM!
With TE8802 using foo_input_sacd kernel out on falling blue windows error crash USB driver. With ASIO - was stable, but the fall there.
Asked the friend to check the functionality of the new devices, but is not so sure.
If your system is still quite high quality selected, then after that you will not regret.
Thank you! !

I can't help you with the SACD stuff but I think Audio GD stopped using the TE8802 due to reliability issues and delayed driver releases.  Kingwa is a honest guy, email him tell him the issues you had with the TE8802 and he will tell you straight up if the DI-V3 will work for you or not.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #3,456 of 4,156
ciphercomplete: That's what Kingwa told me as well. Even though it was only a small % of users, he wants 100% of users without issues. He also said that the failure rate with the VIA chipset is zero and they will customise the firmware as he wishes.

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, I meant how do you know that firmware #3 is not async and #4 is async? That just strikes me as very unusual. 
smile.gif

Again I'm just referring to the EDO compatibility list that was mentioned earlier in this thread. If you read the USB transfer mode column corresponding to "Dac's w. VIA 1731":

firmware #3 Adaptive
firmware #4 Asynchronous

Whether that's correct or not I don't know. I don't even know who made this list to begin with or if it's being maintained. I somehow assumed that Triode kept track of it.
Next to the USB transfer mode column there is the Notes column that states that:

(Chip supports up to 384KHz/32bit), with kernel #3 working in adaptive mode, with kernel #4 working in asynchronous mode

That's where I got the information. Been trying to locate Triode himself to confirm this but somhow I can't login to the Slimdevices forum in order to contact him.

Thanks for that, I should probably ask Kingwa myself to find out what is going on. Knowing how these things go, there will probably be a few more firmware revisions anyway.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #3,457 of 4,156
Quote:

I can't help you with the SACD stuff but I think Audio GD stopped using the TE8802 due to reliability issues and delayed driver releases.  Kingwa is a honest guy, email him tell him the issues you had with the TE8802 and he will tell you straight up if the DI-V3 will work for you or not.

Kingwa can not give 100-tion ensures that there are no windows blue. And what is the test SACD-R? Torrent to them very much. Laziness?

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #3,458 of 4,156
Quote:
Thank you! !

On Win7 + Wasapi 2.1, I have no problems with 2 Audio-gd TE8802 units when using foo_input_sacd

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #3,459 of 4,156
Quote:
Kingwa can not give 100-tion ensures that there are no windows blue. And what is the test SACD-R? Torrent to them very much. Laziness?

I am going to assume the rudeness of your post is due to the language translator you appear to be using and leave it at that.  I do not use Foobar, I don't own SACDs to rip and I'm not interested in possibly downloading illegal copies of SACDs to test for you when Kingwa could easily answer your questions.  Good luck.

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #3,461 of 4,156
Just another brief Update:

I've installed the TCXO upgrade from Kingwa into the DIV3s. Could've kicked myself for not ordering it together earlier.

The TCXO definitely improves on the DI-V3s. Greater sense of instrumental colours, greater sense of ambiance and details. There's weight to the timbre, pianos sound lovely. The sense of spatial perspective is the biggest change I've noticed from the stock XO. There's a real sense of 3D space and separation. 

It looks like the USB32 in the DI-V3s with the DAC19 and C2 is a winner here. 

Still waiting for the Tentlabs XO for a comparison later.

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #3,462 of 4,156
did anyone try to use DI v3 with Jplay?
i wonder if setting latency to Directlink is possible.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #3,465 of 4,156
I have a DI-V3 and are trying to run it with the SBT with the  EDO, though the SBT says it is running asynchronous the Metrum Octave DAC will not lock on to the signal. I am running the #4 firmware in the VIA 1731 DI-V3, the question is Where do I find the EDO with the #4 kernel as I would like to try it? The unit runs Ok with SPDIF output from the SBT but will not lock on any file over 96khz...? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back