Audio-gd Digital Interface
Aug 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #3,241 of 4,156
A USB hub should theoretically power the device from its wall wart.  You can get a high quality wall wart~  If you use a USB hub without than it shouldnt be any different.

My problem with USB interface is more with glitching if the computer is under duress.  Optical/Spdif generally doesn't get affected by these things.

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #3,242 of 4,156
Well, the new driver is working great for me (using my NFB16 with Vista 32 bit). I could never pause for more than a couple of seconds without static, I also had hiccups- all that appears to be gone. I will try it with my DI on my home rig next, but it never had many problems.

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #3,244 of 4,156
For me the TE8802 old driver and the new driver both have high CPU load.  Win 7 64bit.  That's the only issue and it's not major (just raises temp by about 4-5 degrees) so I can live with it, but I'm just not using USB in the meantime.

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #3,245 of 4,156
I have it with my Lenovo Notebook, Win 7 64 bit. No issue wth the old driver.

The new driver functions but it gives me static sound quite often. I uninstall the new driver, reboot and re-install, no imprvement.

I have to switch back to the old driver.

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #3,246 of 4,156
Quote:
Alright! did as instructed and everything is fine now.. (although I thought the previous one was fine enough, hah) Thanks for the instructions! I was just overwriting it previously as I couldn't find the file to remove...

anyway, today I just tried connecting the DI directly to my DAC with a RCA-RCA connector.. I wouldn't dare say it was a 75ohm one, but it was so far the best I could find in terms of constructions which is all metal, unlike what was usually seen elsewhere with plastic (red/black) sleeve.. was thinking of buying the Viablue adapter as posted by a couple of users here from ebay.fr but for now I think I am satisfied..

and right now I am connecting the DI a direct USB connection to a USB Hub (A-B male adapter) WITH the DC socket connected to the Hub also with a USB-DC cable.. it was a mean to see if separating the data from the power would be better than utilising the single cable as a source for both.. with each individual port capable of delivering only 5v/500mah max, I then use a Y splitter cable to direct the power from 2 ports to the DC socket.. at least this allows me to draw more current although 5v is fixed.. 

results were quite obvious in terms of soundstage and instruments definitions as below:

single USB cable USB powered < single USB DC powered < single USB-Y Cable DC powered (bass slightly more defined)

the USB hub I supposed is slightly cleaner in terms of noise, as a direct connection to my macbook USB port yielded the most congested and veiled sound.. connection to the hub and powered by just a single USB cable was a great improvement in my case.. subsequent powerings with DC from the other ports give it a further push as described above..

thus, just a sharing for anyone who is interested to try it out.. it is definitely a useful addon as there is only a wall plug involved (the power from one of the port replaced my another wall plug to power a fan to cool my small tube amp)

Very interesting and informative findings! - so maybe macbook 5V power is not so clean?  

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #3,247 of 4,156
Hi... New guy here but I've been around several audio forums for a good while...

I finally got my EeePC w/Win7 -> DI-DSP -> NFB 3.1 to work and sound as they should.

I use Foobar2000 and the latest a-gd drivers released on the 13th. I had many of the same problems as mentioned above.

Tonight I added the Foobar WASAPI (foo_out_wasapi.dll). Under 'output' in the preference I have two a-gd options: 1. just a-gd and 2. wasapi a-gd

1. Skips and spurts

2. Is like what I hear when I run my Squeezebox Touch+EDO -> DI-DSP -> NFB 3.1 - In other words GREAT :)

Maybe this will help because I know other players can us WASAPI

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #3,250 of 4,156
Dear Kingwa / Tenor

thank you for another pathetic attempt at a driver for the DI-DSP

It took 5 seconds to fill my headphones with static after a pause

Latency is worse ~1500us

Maybe you can test the next one ?????????????????????????????

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #3,251 of 4,156
Quote:
Dear Kingwa / Tenor

thank you for another pathetic attempt at a driver for the DI-DSP

Yeah, this is ridiculous. The driver was supposedly rebuilt 'from scratch' and yet it behaves 100% identically to the previous driver with blue screens and all. I told Kingwa I'm returning both of mine if they can't fix their crap, and he mentioned that I could wait for their " process plan at early of next month ." I wonder what that is supposed to mean.

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #3,253 of 4,156
Everything needs drivers. However XMOS solutions require a custom build driver which are not standard included in Windows. AFAIK the manufacturer can go to Thesycon and acquire a license.

That said. I asked before if other TE8802 based solutions experience similar problems. Or it is a specific combination of the TE8802 implementation in DI that causes problems?

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #3,255 of 4,156
Great. It looks like they are just abandoning support for their product. Kingwa told me they are not going to fix the problems with the drivers. Is there really nobody else having issues? I can't believe that I can't use it after waiting three months for new drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back