Audio-gd Digital Interface
Aug 13, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #3,226 of 4,156
Quote:
just received my DI-V2-S today! surely it gives out a very well separated layerings of instruments that is really a joy to listen to!! the possibilities to tweak this DI is really huge.. I realised coaxial cable connections between DI and my DAC gives a bassy and forward-vocal flavours.. direct connection with a BNC-RCA connector was, wow, opening the soundstage with a greater depth surrounding my rear.. bass was reduced slightly but tighter which I have compensation from DT990 Pro... however, vocals, too, was recessed that bit, something I would enjoy more from the cable connection.. that I guess I will compensate from a better tube of my 12au7 headphone amp.. but oh well, some more burn-in time needed to make a more accurate assessments... :)

may I know if you do know of any link for such? I don't know at all if mine was 75ohm or not... ebay is selling so many types but with no mentioning of the impedance...

and one more question, has anyone tried powering DI with a DC wall-wart adapter? any takes on that? thanks!

You should search this thread first.

75ohm adapter:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/500369/audio-gd-digital-interface/2880#post_8409159

For DC wall-wart adapter, I tested this one, which should be a good one but still I think battery is better.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/500369/audio-gd-digital-interface/2850#post_8392433

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #3,227 of 4,156
thanks for the links fourwed! I saw the BNC connectors links before.. I should have made it clearer that the connector I am checking for 75ohm is a BNC male to RCA male adapter, as my DAC does not have a BNC input..

anyway, further tests today I found the better resolution from switching coaxial cable connection to direct BNC-RCA connector connection was more likely down to the Applied Current Conveyor Technology in BNC and the transmit insulate model output of the RCA.. I swapped the connectors inside my DI and got the clearer sounds from the RCA output.. so I guessed either it will be a direct RCA-RCA connector connection or an all RCA SPDIF cable connection between my DI and DAC..

for the wall-wart DC adapter, will try it out if I managed to find an appropriate one lying somehwere in my house from those appliances... :)

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #3,228 of 4,156
Tenor just send the new driver to me .
This is the formal release version they don't need we test at first, maybe they have enough believe on it.
I just have the quick test in different systems now and will upload on web for users download within few hours. Once we finished the upload we will inform in our web page. If users can't download proper, please send email to ask we send the driver through mail box.

The driver must unzip by RAR.
Before install the new driver, please uninstall the old driver and restart the computer. After install the driver please restart the computer again.
The new driver had declare:
[size=10.5pt][V1.1.27.2a] [/size]
[size=10.5pt]        1. Support Win8 preview.[/size]
[size=10.5pt]        2. MAC driver had been digital signed.[/size]
[size=10.5pt]        3. Formal Release.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Please test and feedback, thanks.[/size]

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #3,229 of 4,156
Quote:
thanks for the links fourwed! I saw the BNC connectors links before.. I should have made it clearer that the connector I am checking for 75ohm is a BNC male to RCA male adapter, as my DAC does not have a BNC input..

anyway, further tests today I found the better resolution from switching coaxial cable connection to direct BNC-RCA connector connection was more likely down to the Applied Current Conveyor Technology in BNC and the transmit insulate model output of the RCA.. I swapped the connectors inside my DI and got the clearer sounds from the RCA output.. so I guessed either it will be a direct RCA-RCA connector connection or an all RCA SPDIF cable connection between my DI and DAC..

for the wall-wart DC adapter, will try it out if I managed to find an appropriate one lying somehwere in my house from those appliances... :)

From the Internet information, RCA were not designed to handle 75ohm.
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/75ohmrca.htm

I know some RCA-RCA cables are labelled 75ohm but not RCA-RCA connector. Please let me know if you find one.

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #3,231 of 4,156
Bad news my DI still disconnects.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #3,237 of 4,156
I had problems with latency in windows seven,now i have instaled windows 8 and one card usb 3 (chipset nec) the old and new driver work very well( all resolutions),no probleme of lantency,what has solved the problem, windows 8 or usb 3.0 card ,all?

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #3,238 of 4,156
Quote:
I had problems with latency in windows seven,now i have instaled windows 8 and one card usb 3 (chipset nec) the old and new driver work very well( all resolutions),no probleme of lantency,what has solved the problem, windows 8 or usb 3.0 card ,all?

I think they improved the audio streaming in Windows 8, I have not yet tried windows install on a USB stick - I might try with windows 8 on USB 3 as the USB stick I bought doesn't seem to be selling fast, I need a motherboard with more bandwidth though (I'm still on P55 chipset).  Looking to upgrade to Z77 mini-ITX build soon unless the next chipset looks too tempting.

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #3,239 of 4,156
Quote:
No worries! Thanks for reassuring.. It isn't too much of a trouble to get the old driver back in my Mac anyway!

Sorry the new driver have not problems in fact.
Communicate with Tenor, they have test and reply as well, they emphasize I want to delete the old driver.
Then I try , find the old driver :  System----> Libaray----> Extensions -------> AudiogdUSBaudio.kext , delete this file, restart the Mac , install the new driver now it work fine.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #3,240 of 4,156
Quote:
Sorry the new driver have not problems in fact.
Communicate with Tenor, they have test and reply as well, they emphasize I want to delete the old driver.
Then I try , find the old driver :  System----> Libaray----> Extensions -------> AudiogdUSBaudio.kext , delete this file, restart the Mac , install the new driver now it work fine.

Alright! did as instructed and everything is fine now.. (although I thought the previous one was fine enough, hah) Thanks for the instructions! I was just overwriting it previously as I couldn't find the file to remove...

anyway, today I just tried connecting the DI directly to my DAC with a RCA-RCA connector.. I wouldn't dare say it was a 75ohm one, but it was so far the best I could find in terms of constructions which is all metal, unlike what was usually seen elsewhere with plastic (red/black) sleeve.. was thinking of buying the Viablue adapter as posted by a couple of users here from ebay.fr but for now I think I am satisfied..

and right now I am connecting the DI a direct USB connection to a USB Hub (A-B male adapter) WITH the DC socket connected to the Hub also with a USB-DC cable.. it was a mean to see if separating the data from the power would be better than utilising the single cable as a source for both.. with each individual port capable of delivering only 5v/500mah max, I then use a Y splitter cable to direct the power from 2 ports to the DC socket.. at least this allows me to draw more current although 5v is fixed.. 

results were quite obvious in terms of soundstage and instruments definitions as below:

single USB cable USB powered < single USB DC powered < single USB-Y Cable DC powered (bass slightly more defined)

the USB hub I supposed is slightly cleaner in terms of noise, as a direct connection to my macbook USB port yielded the most congested and veiled sound.. connection to the hub and powered by just a single USB cable was a great improvement in my case.. subsequent powerings with DC from the other ports give it a further push as described above..

thus, just a sharing for anyone who is interested to try it out.. it is definitely a useful addon as there is only a wall plug involved (the power from one of the port replaced my another wall plug to power a fan to cool my small tube amp)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back