Audio-gd Digital Interface
Nov 23, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #2,656 of 4,156
kr0gg's ordering is correct. I would recommend using a usb a male to b male  adapter instead of a cable for better sound quality. There are only 2 options from what I've seen and I use this one which I've found to be much better than these kind.

I would stick with one power supply -- the digital interface one connected to the olimex.

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #2,657 of 4,156
Yeah, will need to get one of these adapters - using cheap printer cable at moment. Tried out the olimex yesterday and there was noticeable difference right away, in my system and to my ears, of course. The sound seems to pop out more, especially the pheripheral/background sounds and the highs seem to extend further. At the same time, I am hearing more sibilance, and the sound seems to have lost a bit of weight/heft. I am wondering if the loss of weight is due to moving my DI PSU to the olimex instead of the DI. Overall, I like this addition to system.

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #2,658 of 4,156
Just received my Digital Interface and PSU.

Hooked it up (with Olimex) and at first i was having a weird problem that was stated much earlier in the thread; the right was a little bit louder than the left, enough to throw off the balance of the singer to the right.

I panicked! lol, tried all different configurations, no psu, psu into olimex, olimex into di with psu into di, etc. same problem. I finally tried it on my laptop, and was perfect... weird i thought..

Anyways, i restarted my main rig computer, changed the USB ports and reset the Digital Interface. works fine now, no more problem.

What? doesnt make sense, anyways, now that its working right, im happy, hopefully it stays that way!

Final setup is:
Usb --> Olimex (with DI PSU feeding it) --> DI --> NFB3 --ACSS--> C2.2 ---> D2000

very happy with this combo, wont be changing it for a LONG time!

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #2,659 of 4,156
the problem has to do something with DI's buffer.
it doesn't like being turned on shortly after being turned off.
just wait about 5 minutes, turn it on and everything will be OK

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #2,660 of 4,156

Quote:
the problem has to do something with DI's buffer.
it doesn't like being turned on shortly after being turned off.
just wait about 5 minutes, turn it on and everything will be OK

Ok, thanks, i will keep that in mind if the problem comes up again.

Just curious, do you guys upsample? I just left it at default, non-upsampled, just wondering what you guys run and why? Do you find the upsampling to provide a positive impact on 44k music?

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #2,661 of 4,156
I upscale because I have some music that's 24/176. Only option really if I want it at its full potential. 

Quote:
Ok, thanks, i will keep that in mind if the problem comes up again.

Just curious, do you guys upsample? I just left it at default, non-upsampled, just wondering what you guys run and why? Do you find the upsampling to provide a positive impact on 44k music?

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #2,664 of 4,156

Quote:
Sounds better with the DI upsample with my current set up. I won't worry about it once I get a real DAC.

Then this has nothing to do with having high resolution files anymore. Upsampling just fixed everything at a specific sampling rate before the data are sent to the DAC. The final sampling rate could even be lower than your file's sampling rate, e.g., a 192khz file could also be 'upsampled' to 48, 88, 96, 176, 192khz respectively.

My advise to everyone is to try both the upsampling and non-sampling mode to see which is your preferred option and not let the higher numbers mislead you to think that upsampling will surely sound better than non-upsampling.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #2,665 of 4,156
Just ordered a DI with the PSU and upgraded clock. Should be here in a few days if the shipping is as quick as my NFB-3.1

I run coax from my motherboard out and was initially going to run coax to the DI rather than USB. 

Now I'm wondering is there any advantage to running USB to the DI rather than Coax? 

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #2,666 of 4,156
USB cables are cheap :) and aren't considered to vary in sound quality as much as different coax spdif cables by most cable believers. I think usb is better than thin stock coax, but a little worse than decent gauge coaxial cables. If you don't have a decent digital coax cable, I'd suggest this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603

Or audio-gd's digital coax cable, which is better but a little pricier.

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #2,667 of 4,156

Quote:
USB cables are cheap :) and aren't considered to vary in sound quality as much as different coax spdif cables by most cable believers.

I think the relative performance of each digital output depends on how well the implementation are on your mobo, cables aside.

Quote:
I run coax from my motherboard out and was initially going to run coax to the DI rather than USB. 

Now I'm wondering is there any advantage to running USB to the DI rather than Coax? 

Since you already intend to run coax, you can easily pull off a USB cable from your printer and compare the USB performance against that of the coax on your own particular system. What you hear and what you like are more important than what other people say.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #2,668 of 4,156
Quote:
Since you already intend to run coax, you can easily pull off a USB cable from your printer and compare the USB performance against that of the coax on your own particular system. What you hear and what you like are more important than what other people say.

I've got some spare heavy gauge coax cables so I'll do an A/B and see if there's any audible difference. 

I guess using the coax input will bypass any possibility of getting the "drop outs" others have reported.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #2,669 of 4,156
Just take special care when terminating your DIY digital cable...look up the best way to terminate it (using the jacks you have selected for the job) without introducing easily avoided mistakes which WILL effect the SQ of the finished cable. Try and find as close to 75 ohm jacks as you can...the COAX itself must be well made (solid copper core, not copper plated steel) and have a decent full copper screen coverage. HD cable is fine for this purpose. Beldon, Canare make some nice stuff that is easy to find and easy on the wallet. What kind of COAX do you have (as well as jacks) ?

Peete.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #2,670 of 4,156
Quote:
Just take special care when terminating your DIY digital cable...look up the best way to terminate it (using the jacks you have selected for the job) without introducing easily avoided mistakes which WILL effect the SQ of the finished cable.What kind of COAX do you have (as well as jacks) ?

Peete.

I won't be making it up myself. I get most of my cables from a local Australian dealer:

http://www.uglycable.com.au/ugly-ultra-premium-digital-coax-single-rca-cable.html

They are priced well and sound great to my ears. I haven't had the chance to try any of the more expensive interconnects and am still skeptical of the benefit vs cost ratios. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back