Audio-gd Digital Interface
Nov 2, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #2,641 of 4,156
I got mine in the mail today. It's bigger than I imagined it being. 

Anyway...has someone posted a tutorial on how to set this up properly via OSX? I'm on my first Mac so it's a little confusing to me.  I knew my way around my PC for this sort of thing. 

Also...I have the device but nothing to use it with yet. lol

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #2,642 of 4,156

Quote:
I got mine in the mail today. It's bigger than I imagined it being. 

Anyway...has someone posted a tutorial on how to set this up properly via OSX? I'm on my first Mac so it's a little confusing to me.  I knew my way around my PC for this sort of thing. 

Also...I have the device but nothing to use it with yet. lol

When connecting to your Mac, make sure that you just plug the device into the USB port and leave it as it is (because there is nothing else to set up after that)
normal_smile%20.gif

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #2,645 of 4,156
Finally got in my SA8004 and I'm trying to get my DI to work so I can use it. I plug it in USB but no audio comes out and iTunes doesn't even want to play a song at all. I remember having a similar problem on my PC with iTunes when the computer doesn't recognize the device as an output device...

Anyone else experienced this problem? 

EDIT: Works fine on my Bootcamp install of Windows 7 with no problems.
EDIT2: Can't seem to find any reason it doesn't work on my Lion install...I've changed everything in the Sound settings menu and the MIDI setup menu. Nothing has made a bit of difference. It's bound to be some setting on the computer itself considering it works fine on Windows.
EDIT3: Fixed it. Swapped USB ports. The USB port it was plugged into works but for some reason doesn't work with the DI. Odd.

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #2,646 of 4,156
Just Ordered the D.I. Ver B With Power supply. Also ordered a Olimex usb-iso isolator.

just curious, do you guys with the PSU turn it off all the time when its not in use? Power switch is on the back (why!?) so it will be a bit of a pain to turn it off and on all the time...

To those with the DI, PSU, and Olimex Usb-ISO Isolator, are you feeding power to the USB-ISO and if so with what? I read earlier in the thread that some were plugging the Audio-GD PSU right into the isolator instead of the D.I.? I am unsure which way would be best to set this up:

1. Audio-GD PSU -> Olimex USB-ISO -> Digital Interface Ver B. -> NFB-3 --ACSS--> C2.2
2. Olimex USB-ISO (USB Power, no adapter plugged in) -> Digital Interface Ver B. (Powered by A-GD PSU) -> NFB-3 --ACSS--> C2.2
3. Olimex USB-ISO (find an adapter to power Olimex, Suggestions?) -> Digital Interface Ver B. (Powered by A-GD PSU) -> NFB-3 --ACSS--> C2.2

should i even be worrying about feeding the isolator power? should i just connect the A-GD PSU to the D.I. and be done with it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Darren

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #2,647 of 4,156
I left mine on overnight and while it gets a little toasty it really doesn't seem to ever get dangerously hot. My Yulong D100 got quite a it hotter and my Lyr was ridiculous. I don't think it'd hurt it...

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #2,648 of 4,156

Quote:
Just Ordered the D.I. Ver B With Power supply. Also ordered a Olimex usb-iso isolator.

just curious, do you guys with the PSU turn it off all the time when its not in use? Power switch is on the back (why!?) so it will be a bit of a pain to turn it off and on all the time...

To those with the DI, PSU, and Olimex Usb-ISO Isolator, are you feeding power to the USB-ISO and if so with what? I read earlier in the thread that some were plugging the Audio-GD PSU right into the isolator instead of the D.I.? I am unsure which way would be best to set this up:

1. Audio-GD PSU -> Olimex USB-ISO -> Digital Interface Ver B. -> NFB-3 --ACSS--> C2.2
2. Olimex USB-ISO (USB Power, no adapter plugged in) -> Digital Interface Ver B. (Powered by A-GD PSU) -> NFB-3 --ACSS--> C2.2
3. Olimex USB-ISO (find an adapter to power Olimex, Suggestions?) -> Digital Interface Ver B. (Powered by A-GD PSU) -> NFB-3 --ACSS--> C2.2

should i even be worrying about feeding the isolator power? should i just connect the A-GD PSU to the D.I. and be done with it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Darren

Hi Darren,

I have two DI and I never power off the PSU (I love the blue led shining in the bedroom !
tongue.gif
). As for the Olimex, I found a difference in sound by powering the Olimex with a power supply and the DI without the PSU. The way the Olimex is made it only let the data go through, and there's also a filter for the power supply plugged into the Olimex itself... (Hope this is clear
confused_face(1).gif
).

All to say.... Audio-GD DI -------> Olimex with Power supply----->NFB8 etc.... in the living room

In the living room

Audio-GD DI -------> REF5-------> WA6SE in the bedroom...... I will soon buy another Olimex cause the change in sound is worth it....

The PSU for Olymex was bought at Staples..... A 5v is sufficient as per the Olymex rep here in Montreal told me.... I have it for about 6 months now and everything is fine.

Hope this helps

Denys 

Nov 17, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #2,651 of 4,156

Quote:

Hi Darren,

I have two DI and I never power off the PSU (I love the blue led shining in the bedroom !
tongue.gif
). As for the Olimex, I found a difference in sound by powering the Olimex with a power supply and the DI without the PSU. The way the Olimex is made it only let the data go through, and there's also a filter for the power supply plugged into the Olimex itself... (Hope this is clear
confused_face(1).gif
).

All to say.... Audio-GD DI -------> Olimex with Power supply----->NFB8 etc.... in the living room

In the living room

Audio-GD DI -------> REF5-------> WA6SE in the bedroom...... I will soon buy another Olimex cause the change in sound is worth it....

The PSU for Olymex was bought at Staples..... A 5v is sufficient as per the Olymex rep here in Montreal told me.... I have it for about 6 months now and everything is fine.

Hope this helps

Denys 

Denys

Thanks alot for your input, just wasnt sure which was was best to hook it up.
Darren

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #2,652 of 4,156
For anyone who is interested, I have replaced the Audio-gd DI with the XMOS XS1-L1 USB Audio 2.0 Reference Board as my USB audio transport: http://www.head-fi.org/t/580996/xmos-xs1-l1-usb-audio-2-0-reference-design-async-usb-audio-transport-for-149

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #2,653 of 4,156

Hey guys, catching up with the DI thread, and thinking of getting the olimex usb-iso between my DI and PC but confused about how to set it up. The description on the olimex website says:

1. USB_DEVICE connector: USB-A type to be connected to the PC USB host​
  2. USB_HOST connector: USB-B type to be connected to a USB device e.g. JTAG, programmer, debugger etc.​

To me, it sounds like description is saying the A type (flat rectangle) should connect with PC, while B-type (square shaped) should connect with USB device (i.e, the DI in my case). But this doesn't make sense to me, shouldn't it be the opposite where B side of Olimex is connected to PC and A side is connected to DI using a chain of standard USB A to B cables? ​
 ​
Secondly, would there be any improvement with using two DI external PSUs to power both devices, versus only on the olimex?​
 ​
Thanks in advance.​

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #2,654 of 4,156
you need 2 usb cables to connect the DI with Olimex isolator.
so the connection chain will be:
1) first: your PC (usbA), usb-cable  Olimex (usbB),
2) then: Olimex (UsbA), usb-cable, Digital Interface (UsbB)

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #2,655 of 4,156
Ok, that's what I thought - thanks for clarifying. My olimex is arriving tomorrow so excited to test if there will be an improvement. I also ordered a bunch of hex inverters from mouser that will try out. Mouser has both the olimex and hex inverters for those who want to save on shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back