Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jan 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #2,686 of 4,156
Just ordered a Digital Interface Version B with clock upgrade a couple of days back. A-Gd had acknowledge receipt of payment and says they'll be shipping soon.

Question: What kind of DC supply does the DI take? Will want to fashion a DIY PSU (cos' the A-Gd solution is too expensive for me) if I can find the time...

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #2,687 of 4,156
Oops. I got the answer to my question from the manual attached with the email reply.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #2,688 of 4,156
I know someone here is just dying to upgrade your Digital Interface to one of those fancy pants Audiophileo interfaces.. I can help! sell me your DI, PM me!

This might seem obvious, and I don't know if it's been mentioned yet..

For those who have drop-outs, and your runing a system with multiple hard drives, or like me a App/OS SSD and standard HDD for music..

Make sure windows is not putting your music hard drive to "sleep" it will do this after about 45 minutes and cause a drop out as the disk powers back on and spins up. Especially if your music is on multiple hard drives, and you switch between them, like one playlist is on hardrive a and another playlist has musci on hardrive B, and now "b" is asleep from inactivity. Or this can even happen if you use Memory buffer in foobar and load up a massive .ape file that's an entire album in one file, foobar loads it into memory and then hard drive shuts down 30 minutes later from inactivity.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #2,689 of 4,156
I joined the party recently and waiting for my shipment.

It is an eye opener to know that the hex inverter makes a difference. I will certainly find some of these inexpensive component for a try.

Thanks all.

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #2,690 of 4,156
Interesting to note that Audio-Gd introduced a new USB chip, the TE8802 for their latest product line and upgrade capability for certain products.    Perhaps it's just a matter of time before we will see a Digital Interface MKII or something similar for Audio-Gd to compete wiith the big boys....

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #2,692 of 4,156
yep, me too.

as i see on their site, they will be offering an upgrade kit for their existing DACs.
so i wrote a letter to them asking if they will provide such a kit for DI.

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #2,693 of 4,156
i've received an answer. that was REALLY fast :))

Quote:
Dear Igor,
The DI can for upgrade but the TE8802 want to install at outside because the DI have not enough room to install.
Kingwa

i've sent a few more questions to Kingwa and will post his answers here when he responds.

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #2,694 of 4,156
an update:
i've asked if there will be an upgrade kit for DI and about its price.
also i've asked if a new version of DI will be released.
here are the answers:

Quote:
Dear Igor,
We will post the introduce later while the kits release.
We will offer low price for users upgrade as thanks your support.
We will release the new DI at early of May.
Kingwa

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #2,695 of 4,156
Hopefully the new one might have an option for a serious power supply, in a single, larger chassis. Transports in any form benefit from transformers with lots of headroom and serious power supplies/regulators.

My Transporter used to have small transformers like that in the DI power supply and when I upgraded them to torroids (among other things) along with using Audio-gd's DIY power supply there were major improvements.

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #2,696 of 4,156
Having just purchased the Ref 7.1, I'm curious as to which converter I should get in connecting the DAC to the computer (Mac). Is the Audio Gd DI good enough for this purpose or should I be looking at other converters from anedio, audiophilleo, empirical audio, etc? Which converter represents the best bang for the buck before marginal returns start to set in?

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #2,697 of 4,156
i'd wait until they release a new version of Digital interface in may.
DI is the greatest bang for the buck at this moment.
Audiophilleo is superior to the current DI, of course, but it doesn't justify the $300 difference for me.
i hope that with the async TE8022 the new DI will be equal to Audiophilleo.

talking about Anedio u2 - nobody has compared it to any other converter yet.
empirical audio's converter costs over $1400 as far as i know. if i would have this kind of money, i would add another $400 and go for Berkeley Usb converter which is supposed to beat any other existing converter

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #2,698 of 4,156

Quote:
i'd wait until they release a new version of Digital interface in may.
DI is the greatest bang for the buck at this moment.
Audiophilleo is superior to the current DI, of course, but it doesn't justify the $300 difference for me.
i hope that with the async TE8022 the new DI will be equal to Audiophilleo.

talking about Anedio u2 - nobody has compared it to any other converter yet.
empirical audio's converter costs over $1400 as far as i know. if i would have this kind of money, i would add another $400 and go for Berkeley Usb converter which is supposed to beat any other existing converter

Thanks for your input. I agree, empirical audio's converter seems like the best in the market currently but they are priced too high for what it really is. For that kind of dough i'd rather just get the Anedio D2.
smile.gif

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #2,699 of 4,156

Quote:
Hopefully the new one might have an option for a serious power supply, in a single, larger chassis. Transports in any form benefit from transformers with lots of headroom and serious power supplies/regulators.
My Transporter used to have small transformers like that in the DI power supply and when I upgraded them to torroids (among other things) along with using Audio-gd's DIY power supply there were major improvements.

This would be very nice, I guess AGD power supply, a decent transformer, as well as a chassis, probably adds up in cost vs what AudioGD could do, plus I also like the R-core transformers AGD use (they never hum, at all).

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #2,700 of 4,156

Quote:
Having just purchased the Ref 7.1, I'm curious as to which converter I should get in connecting the DAC to the computer (Mac). Is the Audio Gd DI good enough for this purpose or should I be looking at other converters from anedio, audiophilleo, empirical audio, etc? Which converter represents the best bang for the buck before marginal returns start to set in?

Don't skimp on your converter as you're already using the Reference 7.1. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back