Audio-gd Digital Interface
Apr 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #2,701 of 4,156
I believe the DSP1 negates much of the need for a high end converter. I sold my Audiophilleo 2 and am running optical (from my cheap audio card) via a cheap Monoprice coax converter to my Ref-8. I heard practically no difference (maybe an ever so slight hardness with the optical). I will probably get the new DI (I had the old one) anyway to be sure. Just don't expect dramatic improvements with a converter to the Ref-7.1 or other DSP DAC from AGD. On a side note, I did hear pretty decent improvement running the DI to my NFB12 vs. the built-in USB, but again, nothing dramatic.

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #2,702 of 4,156
Quote:
Hopefully the new one might have an option for a serious power supply, in a single, larger chassis. Transports in any form benefit from transformers with lots of headroom and serious power supplies/regulators.
My Transporter used to have small transformers like that in the DI power supply and when I upgraded them to torroids (among other things) along with using Audio-gd's DIY power supply there were major improvements.

This would be very nice, I guess AGD power supply, a decent transformer, as well as a chassis, probably adds up in cost vs what AudioGD could do, plus I also like the R-core transformers AGD use (they never hum, at all).

There's no reason they couldn't do this if they wanted to. It's not difficult and would be one of the easier things to assemble.

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #2,703 of 4,156
Audio-Gd just released the new DI with the Tnor8802 chip, with 3 different models to choose from. http://audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DIv2/DIv2EN.htm

Have just emailed him asking what's the difference between the standard version vs DI version.

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #2,704 of 4,156
wow!
that is really cool!

asynchronous USB and it has an RJ45 i2s output too! i want it!

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #2,705 of 4,156

Quote:
Audio-Gd just released the new DI with the Tnor8802 chip, with 3 different models to choose from. http://audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DIv2/DIv2EN.htm

Have just emailed him asking what's the difference between the standard version vs DI version.

Do post the info here once you have a reply. Would like to know the difference as well.

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #2,706 of 4,156
Here's the response from Kingwa. Basically his answers correspond to what is already posted on the DI-V2 page, but it's interesting to note that according to Kingwa, the DI-DSP with the Reference 10 is the better option for connection. He didn't provide any comments about sound quality though.

WHat is the sound difference?

What is the function difference?

DI-DSP version is like the original DI with reclocking and upsampling?--------Yes.

DI-V2 is just a USB to SPDIF converter with no reclocking and upsampling?----------Yes, but the TE8802 can setting the output sampling in PC driver

Both version have the current transmit BNC output?-------Yes.

Both version have the I2S output connector?-----------Yes.

So this can connect to Reference 10? ----------------Yes.

So Reference 10 can also switch between USB and I2S input?-----------The RE10 only have either USB and I2S input. For the RE10, if choice the I2S input version and want to have the DI, the DI-DSP is better, if like to with the DI V2, I recommend the RE10 USB version for simple .

Kingwa

Further Update to the above:

The I2S transmit have some limit, like the cable want as short as better, and want to take care the RF disturb.
If in the worst case, the I2S is the worst sound than other options.
We now accept pre-order, before 1th May had 10% OFF, you can confirm the order and make the payment before 1th May.
We estimate shipping at 15th May.

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #2,708 of 4,156
no discount on the DI-DSP?

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #2,710 of 4,156

Quote:
There's no reason they couldn't do this if they wanted to. It's not difficult and would be one of the easier things to assemble.

I am thinking to use a 7.4V lithium ion battery to see if there is improvement. Use battery to power the DI should be clean and stable, right? I will post the result later, probably after my exam on 25/4.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #2,711 of 4,156

Quote:
I am thinking to use a 7.4V lithium ion battery to see if there is improvement. Use battery to power the DI should be clean and stable, right? I will post the result later, probably after my exam on 25/4.

The good thing about batteries is you don't have to worry about power cord or street/wall power issues - with a strong LiFePO4 battery that is the end of your concerns, whereas with wall powered you need to worry about the power cable, having enough power outlets etc..  I know the DI PSU is meant to put out around 7-8 Volts but I thought a lot of components from other transports I have looked at use 3.3V?  I might email Kingwa to ask him about this, as my current transport already has a very well designed battery power solution.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #2,713 of 4,156

Quote:
is it redundant to get the new DI-V2 and nfb-3.2 dac ( they both use the new te8802 usb interface)

I would say so. I am hoping to sell my D1-V1 and PSU so i can pick up the new DI-V2 *(I already have NFB3.1)

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #2,715 of 4,156
Hi to everyone,I'm from Holland and just became e new member of Head-Fi.

This is what I get from Kingwa about upgrading old DI and old DI-PSU:

For the DI upgrade :
1, The TE8802 must place at outside with wires connect to inside. The DI have not room for install the kit at inside.
2, There are two resistors want to addition in DI. Don't need take off the board, just solder on top side.
3, If you have the first version DI-PSU, a resistor want to addition. Don't need take off the board, just solder on top side.
4, There is must have some soldering.

I,m gonna ask him if you get those resistors with the TE8802 upgrade kit.

Greetings,
Bart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back