Audio-gd Digital Interface
Sep 1, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #2,552 of 4,156

Quote:
and there's no point in going DIR9001 if they also provide a WM8805 board.

Well in the NFB-2/3 thread many prefer DIR9001 over WM8805 .  At least A-GD offer the choice so it's fine :)

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #2,553 of 4,156
Ok people I found what causes my dropouts and it is... whenever certain light switches in my house are turned off. I know, sounds ridiculous, but its true. Try it I'd love to know if anyone else can cause dropouts by doing the same thing.

Sep 4, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #2,555 of 4,156
Indeed I do.  Not a simple or cheap problem to fix - also risks being sucked into power tweaking 
eek.gif

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #2,556 of 4,156
well, if a power conditioner/regen unit fixes it, that's probably cheaper than new wiring / separate line... plus there's literally nothing on the regen unit, except for the dac/transport plugged in (no mains power things like vac cleaner, kettle, fridge :) ) esp if each socket is isolated/handled separately...

which brings us to the question - does the lite unit you have fix it?r than new wiring / separate line... plus there's literally nothing on the regen unit, except for the dac/transport plugged in (no mains power things like vac cleaner, kettle, fridge :) ) esp if each socket is isolated/handled separately...

which brings us to the question - does the lite unit you have fix it?

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #2,557 of 4,156
Im probably going to get this to use with a Schiit Statement amp/dac combo with lcd 2.2s, so will post impressions when i get everything in.

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #2,558 of 4,156

Quote:
Im probably going to get this to use with a Schiit Statement amp/dac combo with lcd 2.2s, so will post impressions when i get everything in.

Actually, will post impressions on this with the Schiit Lyr earlier once i get the Audio-gd in.

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #2,559 of 4,156

Quote:
which brings us to the question - does the lite unit you have fix it?

Hmm will have to power up the aircon to test this.  I tried running the PC off an extension lead from another circuit but the stabilty was pretty bad (20 meters of 20 year old extension chord...)

Not sure what I am going to do about me nearfield monitors though... 

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #2,560 of 4,156
Hmm will have to power up the aircon to test this.  I tried running the PC off an extension lead from another circuit but the stabilty was pretty bad (20 meters of 20 year old extension chord...)

Not sure what I am going to do about me nearfield monitors though... 

they're usually a 20-200w :) ?

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #2,561 of 4,156
I think they're about 70 W maximum - probably within the capability of the power regenerator - just needs a couple of power boards.

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #2,562 of 4,156
Argh, I've tried just about everything to get rid of dropouts in my apartment (<10yo construction...) and nothing works. I even enabled upsampling and just got a dropout... I wish there were some special drivers or something to deal with this crap.

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #2,564 of 4,156
Batteries for what, the power supply or the computer? I'm thinking about installing a cmp-esque stripped down W7 on my laptop and running it off batteries, though it'd be rather inconvenient compared to my desktop and I've already spent hours tweaking it (disabling devices, uninstalling drivers, changing bios settings, modifying multimedia class scheduler settings, changing usb polling rate, you name it).

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #2,565 of 4,156
FWIW, some users of the the Sabre ES-9018[size=x-small]-[/size]based DAC's report issues with drop-outs in thier systems with some claiming that this chip is very sensitive to jitter (there is a thread on this on A'gon).  It may be that the DI just passes on too much jitter for this chip?
In my personal experience I have used my DI with both an Eastern Electric Minimax DAC and my Havana DAC but when using the EE Minimax/DI combo, I was  plagued constantly with drop-outs, the Havana not once. The DI was being fed very clean power as well.
This was with both of my pc-based systems, one an optimised down W7 netbook system, the other a Linux-based system. I had to return the Minimax (and to be honest, it was too bright-sounding for me anyway on my system to bother with trying to change the USB/SPDIF converter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back