Audio-gd Digital Interface
Sep 6, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #2,566 of 4,156

Quote:
FWIW, some users of the the Sabre ES-9018[size=x-small]-[/size]based DAC's report issues with drop-outs in thier systems with some claiming that this chip is very sensitive to jitter (there is a thread on this on A'gon).  It may be that the DI just passes on too much jitter for this chip?
In my personal experience I have used my DI with both an Eastern Electric Minimax DAC and my Havana DAC but when using the EE Minimax/DI combo, I was  plagued constantly with drop-outs, the Havana not once. The DI was being fed very clean power as well.
This was with both of my pc-based systems, one an optimised down W7 netbook system, the other a Linux-based system. I had to return the Minimax (and to be honest, it was too bright-sounding for me anyway on my system to bother with trying to change the USB/SPDIF converter).

I tried my Eastern Electric Minimax with a $40 CD player via coaxial and never once did I experience a dropout. I do experience dropout with direct USB input whenever light switches in my home are on/off but not even once with Stello U3. Thus, I think that the dropout problem is more related to power than jitter.

EDIT: Not forgetting to mention that the ultra high jitterish optical output from my mac suffers zero dropout rate as well.

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #2,567 of 4,156
has anyone had intermittent issues with static? I recently just moved to another city and now whenever my laptop goes to sleep and comes out of hibernation the music is full of static. If I unplug and then plug in the USB from the DI the static is gone and the sound is perfect! I never had this issue last week before I moved...

any ideas?

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #2,570 of 4,156
The upgraded clock is only for upsampling, if you intend to use it.

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #2,573 of 4,156
read this post :p (there is 172 pages but if you take your time you will find the rights answers (multiple choice) .

from what i read here : some like upsampling and seams that the upgrade clock bring some improvement after burning time (or brain training) . 

other prefer without any upsampling , the only way to know it's trying yourself : / 

personnaly i don't like upsamling ,conversion is not really perfect (not using integers like oversampling) . 

exemple :

for my case i finaly tryed out a E-MU 0404 (pci-e) as S/PDIF transport in addition to a auzen forte and my motherboard (foobar with wasapi ) 

(i tryed aslo asio for my auzen and e-mu , and seams asio was a slightly warmer than wasapi and finaly prefering using wasapi for all the testing) . 

Conclusion : after carrefully testing over some days , all sound the same , only placebo some times ... And i don't hear difference using USB too . 

But i can easely hear difference beetween digitial filters in NFB-2 ... peraphs DI or another usb/spdif transport will bring an improvement but i am really wondering about that don't want to spend money for nothing :p .

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #2,574 of 4,156
I have noticed an improvement to my ears with the new clock, it is subtle but enjoyable (like the singer is a step closer to you, hard to describe). The DI definitely improves upon the built-in USB of AGD equipment in my experience.

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #2,576 of 4,156

Quote:
guys, will i really tell the difference in sound with the upgrade clock on the Digital interface?

Why not try a different hex inverter as discussed elsewhere in this thread? They are cheap and easy to swap out. I'll be trying a SN74AHC04N and SN74AHCU04N in the very near future. Their specs suggest that they are around 10 times 'faster' than the standard hex inverter. The 'AHC' is the new equivalent of the older 'VHC', and the 'ACHU' is the unbuffered version of the 'AHC'.

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #2,578 of 4,156
It's no more difficult than the tcxo change that you were enquiring about, plus any changes in the sound will be there regardless of whether you use upsampling or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back