Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jul 1, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #2,221 of 4,156
has anyone compared the DI to the optical out on macbook pros?

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #2,224 of 4,156
I have had Monoprice and Van Den Hul Optocoupler toslink cable running out from my macbook pro before, with the former sounding muddy and the latter, while highly detailed, sounding thin.

The DI, however, gives a very full, balanced and smooth sound.

A good toslink cable has the edge over clarity but having the DI makes listening to music more enjoyable..

Hope that helps.

Jul 2, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #2,225 of 4,156
Optical digital connections can't even, most of the time, produce a proper square wave.  Definitely go with the DI or a good converter IMO.

Jul 6, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #2,227 of 4,156
any suggestions for my current set up

using PCI EMU 1212M connecting spdif to my Calyx DAC
so will using USB connection to this Audio GD DI then spdif out to Calyx DAC be providing better SQ?

i see there is also the spdif in on the GD DI, so how abt PC -SPDIF-> GD DI -> DAC?

Jul 6, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #2,228 of 4,156

Why wouldn't you take USB direct from your PC to the USB input on the Calyx DAC? I had heard it has a rather good asynchronous USB implementation.

I would avoid PC SPDIF like the plague

Regards

Macrog

Quote:
any suggestions for my current set up

using PCI EMU 1212M connecting spdif to my Calyx DAC
so will using USB connection to this Audio GD DI then spdif out to Calyx DAC be providing better SQ?

i see there is also the spdif in on the GD DI, so how abt PC -SPDIF-> GD DI -> DAC?

Jul 6, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #2,229 of 4,156
E-mu 1212m is a pretty nice spdif source. it is.
i'm not sure if DI is actually better.

Jul 6, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #2,230 of 4,156
since i got some better-than-average coaxial cables, i dont want to waste them

and i did some a/b with usb and spdif, seem to prefer the spdif output better, could be due to the bad quality of my usb cable

i also asked the guys from Yulong audio (not sure if you've heard of this brand), he suggested the 1212m to me, so i bought the 1212m card =)

Quote:
Why wouldn't you take USB direct from your PC to the USB input on the Calyx DAC? I had heard it has a rather good asynchronous USB implementation.

I would avoid PC SPDIF like the plague

Regards

Macrog

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #2,231 of 4,156
Just got my Digital Interface today, and don't have much to say about it other than I am quite pleased.  I couldn't afford the Audio-gd PSU and extra shipping cost at the moment, so I'm using a Jameco "wall-wart":

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_283573_-1

... and it sounds very, very good compared to the Teralink X2 interface that the DI replaced.  It uses the same Teradak drivers I had installed for the X2 (same Tenor chip), so didn't require any software changes.  Maybe someday I'll get the upgrade clock (haven't explored upsampling yet) or the class-A Audio-gd power supply, but for the moment, I proclaim myself officially "finished" with my main system in its present form.  it sounds very good to my ears, and my bank balance thanks me for the expression of future restraint....

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #2,232 of 4,156

Quote:
Just got my Digital Interface today, and don't have much to say about it other than I am quite pleased.  I couldn't afford the Audio-gd PSU and extra shipping cost at the moment, so I'm using a Jameco "wall-wart":

... and it sounds very, very good compared to the Teralink X2 interface that the DI replaced.  It uses the same Teradak drivers I had installed for the X2 (same Tenor chip), so didn't require any software changes.  Maybe someday I'll get the upgrade clock (haven't explored upsampling yet) or the class-A Audio-gd power supply, but for the moment, I proclaim myself officially "finished" with my main system in its present form.  it sounds very good to my ears, and my bank balance thanks me for the expression of future restraint....

Hey J. Did the DI really improve the SQ that much? Is it a big step up or is it just a little improvement?

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #2,233 of 4,156
Quote:

Hey J. Did the DI really improve the SQ that much? Is it a big step up or is it just a little improvement?

The Digital Interface (with the Jameco wall-wart power supply) is as big (or bigger) an improvement over the Teralink X2 as that unit was over going directly into the USB input of my NFB-3 or its predecessor, the Maverick D1.  Hey, I'm offering to ship the Teralink X2 worldwide.... 
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #2,234 of 4,156
Quote:

I would say that it is system specific.

I tried comparing the coaxial input via DI + PSU against the stock USB input of Maverick D1 on a good hi-fi system running a 5k tube pre-amp as well as other high-end components. Don't hear any noticeable difference to justify the DI.

On my previous desktop rig with StageDAC, the improvement is there but not as exaggerated.

Then again, depends on how good the USB implementation on your DAC is also. Audio-GD's DAC line-up seems to benefit from the DI.

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #2,235 of 4,156
Quote:

You should uninstall those Teralink X2 drivers and use the windows one... users have said they're mediocre for the DI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back