Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jun 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #2,132 of 4,156
it's a device that connects between your PC's USB port and any USB device. this isolator electrically decouples them and eliminates unwanted electrical hum coming from dirty PC' power lines.
there's a variety of those, after some searches i've bought this one:
http://www.olimex.com/dev/usb-iso.html

these guys have a representative in US and for some reason it costs there even cheaper than originally in Europe

there's a guy named "leeperry" here that bought a bunch of different usb-isolators and compared them. you can search for his impressions

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #2,133 of 4,156

Quote:
it's a device that connects between your PC's USB port and any USB device. this isolator electrically decouples them and eliminates unwanted electrical hum coming from dirty PC' power lines.

these guys have a representative in US and for some reason it costs there even cheaper than originally in Europe

there's a guy named "leeperry" here that bought a bunch of different usb-isolators and compared them. you can search for his impressions

It's not so expensive.....they have a representative in Canada.....they don't seem to have it in stock but I could ask them if they could have it...

I could use it with my coming NFB8... I did not order a DI.... The one I have, I use it with my REF5...

Thanks for the tip anyway...

Denys

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #2,134 of 4,156
Quote:
nay. don't have this kind of money :)
i was thinking about learning Linux and building a separate HTPC or buying a notebook for playing music/movies. (my main PC produces TONS of noises)

My warm suggestion:

don't do it in Linux (though I like it, too) - build up a cMP²-System instead! (= "cics memory player" PC)
That's a very well proven and well documented system that can be realized for a reasonable amount of money.
You can vary the plans to your needs, technically and optically. Many different options are available.

Take a look at http://www.cicsmemoryplayer.com/ and use it as a source of inspiration!
You'll find a good starting point on that page, but you don't need to stick slavishly to it.

Further sources of information and inspiration are
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/etv.mpl?forum=pcaudio (the basic forum), and as parts of that:
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=27041 (comprehensive!) and
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=31286 (comprehensive as well).

Its truly worthwile. You'll learn a lot and have much fun with it (as long as you feel a slight affinity to PCs).

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #2,135 of 4,156

Quote:

I just spoke to the rep here in Montreal... He'll verify if he has any in stock and how much it costs... We'll take it from there...

Denys

Jun 14, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #2,136 of 4,156
Here's a link I found to leeperry's comparison of a couple different USB isolators: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/496735/firestone-bravo-24-96-usb-transport-w-o-drivers-reclocker/300#post_7126768 he seems to prefer the Aimagin one to the USB2ISO. I'm thinking about getting one.

Jun 14, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #2,137 of 4,156
well, from my point of view... speaking of a dongle which costs almost $100 shipped and one for $50...there's too much price difference than possible SQ difference.
i've bought DI from Audio-gd for $145 shipped, its original PSU here in FS forum for $50 shipped. paying half of their price seems kind of unrational to me.

oh, and by the way - the USB2ISO that he speaks of in that post is not the Olimex one that i speak about. he bought the Olimex one only later and from my memory - actually preferred it over all other dongles

Jun 14, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #2,138 of 4,156
I read a few more pages and indeed it appears he likes the Olimex the best and it's cheapest. Found some in the U.S. for $41 shipped here http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=3769 pretty good price.

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #2,139 of 4,156
Hmm what use is a USB isolator if we are using an external power to power our DI instead of drawing the current from the USB port?

Seems like there is the USB DC power option too.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #2,140 of 4,156

Quote:
Hmm what use is a USB isolator if we are using an external power to power our DI instead of drawing the current from the USB port?

Well, I did not order a DI with my NFB-8 that I'll get in a few weeks. The CAD rep sells me a USB isolator for less than $50 CAD.... I'll give it a try.....I find the risk is minimal...

Denys

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #2,141 of 4,156

Quote:
Well, I did not order a DI with my NFB-8 that I'll get in a few weeks. The CAD rep sells me a USB isolator for less than $50 CAD.... I'll give it a try.....I find the risk is minimal...

Denys

Yeah your case I can understand, as with any other people who use direct USB connection for their DAC.

I am just curious about the need for one when using a DAC with the DI (with PSU).

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #2,142 of 4,156

Quote:

its not about feeding it with power from PC.
the problem is that even with external PSU there is electrical contact with PC through the USB cable which transmits noises.
you can check it like this: disconnect your DI from PC, keep your DAC and AMP turned on. now turn the AMP volume to the max and after that connect your DI the way it is supposed to work. you will hear that with DI in chain there will be new noises.
you might think that if those noises are audible only on extreme amping levels (which noone uses in real life), then that is not a problem.
well, i should say that it actually is and an isolator makes audible difference on usual listening levels

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #2,143 of 4,156

Quote:
its not about feeding it with power from PC.
the problem is that even with external PSU there is electrical contact with PC through the USB cable which transmits noises.
you can check it like this: disconnect your DI from PC, keep your DAC and AMP turned on. now turn the AMP volume to the max and after that connect your DI the way it is supposed to work. you will hear that with DI in chain there will be new noises.
you might think that if those noises are audible only on extreme amping levels (which noone uses in real life), then that is not a problem.
well, i should say that it actually is and an isolator makes audible difference on usual listening levels

I have tried the above-mentioned.

I seriously hear nothing. No noise nor whatsoever with all volume pot maxed out.

Seems like you have got a 'dirty' USB port.

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #2,144 of 4,156

Quote:

Seems like you have got a 'dirty' USB port.

the problem might be in the fact that most of buildings (and the one where i live) don't have electrical grounding. but it's not a problem anymore.
at least for my USB connection :)

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #2,145 of 4,156

Quote:
You may want to keep the new chip in longer to let it "burn-in" a bit. My replacement TI 74AHC04 made the DI sounded very harsh like you mentioned at the beginning, it "settled down" after 10 hours or so. I found the improvements brought by the TI chip is at the bass frequency region, with a lot more textures and dimensions.

For your information: Depending on the operation temperature and voltage, the DI's stock 74HC4 chip would have 15-25ns signal propagation delay going from low (0)to high (1), the 74VHC variant chips give 2.5ns to 8ns delay. The highly praised Audiophileo 1 USB-SPDIF converter default delay is at 700ps (0.7ns) and allow the user to tune for longer delay. The Audiophileo 2 fixes it at 700ps.

Usually the shorter the delay, the better it will sound. But other value "could" sound better depending on coaxle cable length the amount of signal reflection.

Yes, I take back my thoughts on it. There were some gear changes that may have been the cause; once I got those sorted out and tried the AHC again, the hardness was gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back