Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jun 13, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #2,116 of 4,156
LOL USER ERROR DETECTED AND CONFIRMED!!! jk

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #2,117 of 4,156
UPDATE about channel inbalance:
i've removed the usb cable (with ferrites) that i've used previously and swapped to default chinese cable that came with the DI.
the inbalance went away (to check it - i downmix channels to mono and then compare my sound from optical input with sound from DI)

what i think:
it might be bad contact, might be ferrites, might be the cable itself.
anyway i've ordered a WW ultraviolet a few weeks ago, so it shouldn't be long when it gets here.

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #2,118 of 4,156
forgot to mention - i wrote to Edwin about this problem. this is the answer i've received from Kingwa :
Dear Igor,
The USB decive had imbalanced, maybe cause by follow
1, The windows problems. ------------Try with other PC is the best way.
2, the USB cables problems.-----------Replace the USB cable is best way.
3, the deceive problems.--------------------Shipping back for check.

Kingwa

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #2,119 of 4,156

Quote:
3, the deceive problems.--------------------Shipping back for check.

Kingwa

With such a problem, you should ask for a refund XD jk.

Quote:
Just installed a 74VHC04N in my DI. Huge upgrade (and I haven't even burnt it in yet) for such a small investment, mainly in terms of bringing out detail. My music sounds almost like it's in slow motion the way that the details are being fully conveyed now. Can't wait to get a few more hours on it.

It is really slow atm.

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #2,121 of 4,156
UPDATE #2:
i've just received an USB isolator, so i've unplugged the cable again - to try the new toy.

alas, when plugged back (the "good cable"), the inbalance returned.
that leaves connection problem or device problem in the list of possible reasons :frowning2:

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #2,122 of 4,156
This sounds similar to DSP-1 buffer corruption in Reference line DACs. It happened from time to time, usually after sample rate switching, that "all the soundstage moved left". Solution? Turn of DAC. Wait few seconds. Turn on DAC.

Now, DI uses DSP-3 which has is not the same as DSP-1, but given it's similar HW base it is worth trying the following: when channel imbalance occurs, stop music on your computer, detach the power from DI (USB cable if you do not use external PSU; power off DI external PSU if you are using that), wait 10 seconds, plug power back to DI, play music, hear what happens.

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #2,123 of 4,156
i've tried plugging in and out 3 different cables for half an hour, but the problem stayed.

also, guys, please share your experience about different topic:
my OS is Windows7. when i plug my DI out of the computer and plug it back, usually in the Windows device manager menu a yellow exclamation sign appears near "te7022 bla-bla device". in properties it says that "The device cannot start". (its blue light works, but music cannot be played - music players simply don't see the DI)
only after 10-15 plug-ins/plug-outs the DI starts _actually_ working.
so i have to waste A LOT of time EVERY time when i want to experiment with upsampling, etc.
do you have this problem?

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #2,124 of 4,156

Quote:
wait 10 seconds, plug power back to DI, play music, hear what happens.

due to the second problem (with identifying DI by PC), i believe that 30 minutes of turning it on and off did the job. it didn't help :frowning2:
would you kindly provide a link to the "buffer corruption" discussion, please?

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #2,125 of 4,156
UPDATE #2:
i've just received an USB isolator, so i've unplugged the cable again - to try the new toy.

alas, when plugged back (the "good cable"), the inbalance returned.
that leaves connection problem or device problem in the list of possible reasons :frowning2:

what isolator brand? I sent one to drez to try with his unit but he had some sort of problems with his pc not recognizing the DI via the isolator (Aimagin)

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #2,126 of 4,156

Quote:
what isolator brand? I sent one to drez to try with his unit but he had some sort of problems with his pc not recognizing the DI via the isolator (Aimagin)

"Olimex".
http://www.olimex.com/dev/usb-iso.html

When i first plugged DI through it (using 2 usb cables) - it was recognized. Even more - i was happy that it did exactly what i wanted - removed electrical noises coming from PC via USB line.
but.. a few minutes later i found out that the previous sound balance problem (not relevant to usb-isolator) was not cured actually.
and you know the rest of the story :)

ALSO i'd like to add that some guys reported that DI is hardly recognized after being unplugged and re-plugged while feeded from PSU...
but nor "PSU-case", nor "usb-isolator-case" are not my cases. My DI has difficulties on recognition by itself . i actually hope that all DI's behave the same, because i don't want to ship it back to China.

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #2,127 of 4,156

Quote:
"Olimex".
http://www.olimex.com/dev/usb-iso.html

When i first plugged DI through it (using 2 usb cables) - it was recognized. Even more - i was happy that it did exactly what i wanted - removed electrical noises coming from PC via USB line.
but.. a few minutes later i found out that the previous sound balance problem (not relevant to usb-isolator) was not cured actually.
and you know the rest of the story :)

ALSO i'd like to add that some guys reported that DI is hardly recognized after being unplugged and re-plugged while feeded from PSU...
but nor "PSU-case", nor "usb-isolator-case" are not my cases. My DI has difficulties on recognition by itself . i actually hope that all DI's behave the same, because i don't want to ship it back to China.

Maybe it's time to get a Mac =)

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #2,128 of 4,156

Quote:
Maybe it's time to get a Mac =)

nay. don't have this kind of money :)
i was thinking about learning Linux and building a separate HTPC or buying a notebook for playing music/movies. (my main PC produces TONS of noises)

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #2,129 of 4,156
i'll try plugging my DI into a notebook with WinXP this evening. will see if it makes difference.

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #2,130 of 4,156
guys!
getting a USB-isolator for DI us a MUST :)
it clears sound really nice, making it even more transparent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back