Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jun 12, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #2,101 of 4,156

Quote:
You're putting the chip in so that the half circle is on the same side as stock, right? Rhythmic_impulse got his too and said it works great so I don't think the chip is bad.

Hey yup that's what I did.

I have plucked it out and then installed it back three times. Doesn't work. Hmmm. Maybe I have just gotten a lemon chip.

Jun 12, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #2,103 of 4,156
I bought one of the two mentioned inverters to replace the stock DI and although it does bring out some nice detail it does indeed make the upper frequencies metallic and overemphasized and the DI lost some of it's natural presentation. It would be hard for me to listen to music for long periods. For those who lean towards 'clarity' it would be a good choice, for those who prefer a more relaxed, natural presentation not so much. 

Jun 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #2,104 of 4,156

Quote:

I have plucked it out and then installed it back three times. Doesn't work. Hmmm. Maybe I have just gotten a lemon chip.

It could be a bum chip....it's also possible a static charge (by accident) might have cooked it...at any rate at least it's a cheap part and your DI still works (with the stock driver)
normal_smile%20.gif

Peete.

Jun 13, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #2,105 of 4,156

Quote:
I bought one of the two mentioned inverters to replace the stock DI and although it does bring out some nice detail it does indeed make the upper frequencies metallic and overemphasized and the DI lost some of it's natural presentation. It would be hard for me to listen to music for long periods. For those who lean towards 'clarity' it would be a good choice, for those who prefer a more relaxed, natural presentation not so much. 

You may want to keep the new chip in longer to let it "burn-in" a bit. My replacement TI 74AHC04 made the DI sounded very harsh like you mentioned at the beginning, it "settled down" after 10 hours or so. I found the improvements brought by the TI chip is at the bass frequency region, with a lot more textures and dimensions.

For your information: Depending on the operation temperature and voltage, the DI's stock 74HC4 chip would have 15-25ns signal propagation delay going from low (0)to high (1), the 74VHC variant chips give 2.5ns to 8ns delay. The highly praised Audiophileo 1 USB-SPDIF converter default delay is at 700ps (0.7ns) and allow the user to tune for longer delay. The Audiophileo 2 fixes it at 700ps.

Usually the shorter the delay, the better it will sound. But other value "could" sound better depending on coaxle cable length the amount of signal reflection.

Jun 13, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #2,106 of 4,156
Guys, please help me.

This morning i've finally understood that when feeding my DAC from DI, it creates channel imbalanace, making left channel louder.
At first, i thought that it is my dac or amp problem, but when i switched to optical input everything was fine.

I've tried using DI with upsampling, without upsampling, and also even without the TCXO. the problem persists - instead of singing in the center (as they are supposed to in most songs) singers stay three steps left

Did anyone meet such a problem?

Jun 13, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #2,107 of 4,156
Guys, please help me.

This morning i've finally understood that when feeding my DAC from DI, it creates channel imbalanace, making left channel louder.
At first, i thought that it is my dac or amp problem, but when i switched to optical input everything was fine.

I've tried using DI with upsampling, without upsampling, and also even without the TCXO. the problem persists - instead of singing in the center (as they are supposed to in most songs) singers stay three steps left

Check the balance setting in the sound settings. I've had the DI for whatever reason set the right channel to 0%.

Jun 13, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #2,108 of 4,156
i've already checked it
both right and left stay on 100

Jun 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #2,109 of 4,156
Quote:
Do you have a different DAC or anything to test with? Maybe since it's the "spdif driver" it affects the output signal strength or something and your DAC isn't playing nice.

Quote:
It could be a bum chip....it's also possible a static charge (by accident) might have cooked it...at any rate at least it's a cheap part and your DI still works (with the stock driver)
normal_smile%20.gif

Don't think it has anything to do with my DAC.

I am glad that my DI and stock inverter didn't died after a failed attempt to roll the inverter. Phew.

There goes my USD5 =(

Quote:
i've already checked it
both right and left stay on 100

Maybe you can email audio-gd with the problem?

You may adjust the left and right channel balance manually in the meanwhile =)

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #2,110 of 4,156
Earlier this evening I tried the DI with J. River Media Center 16, to try the WASAPI Event Style output option.

Result: The DI does work fine with WASAPI Event Style and "pull" audio stream from Windows.

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #2,111 of 4,156

Quote:

uelover,

could it be that while inserting the chip, some of the pins didn't go into the slot? I had the same issue until I check and sure enough, the pins didn't go into the sockets. The pins themselves are so thin that sometimes they may get bend out of place.

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #2,112 of 4,156

Quote:
Guys, please help me.

Try switching off the DI and unplugged everything, USB cable and Coaxial cable. It happened to me too after switching to the new hex inverter. When power back on again, it became centered again. Weird but maybe sometimes when left powered up too long, the channel imbalances happens. Not always, but once in a while.

About the new hex inverter, it did sound very harsh at first and metallic, but after a week, it sound much better. Compared to the stock inverter, the 74VHC variant had a more upfront presentation. Details are very present and one thing I noticed is how much more defined is the instrumental timbres. On the other hand, compared to the stock, it sounds to me slightly dryish. But that could be because I am so used to the sonic presentation of the stock.

Right now, the DI with the new inverter and without any clock in the socket sounded quite natural. It seems that putting a clock in the slot affects the signal and had a bit more glare.

Jun 13, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #2,113 of 4,156
Ah, okay. I've been experiencing slight channel imbalance as well but didn't suspect the DI. I did notice that when I unlugged the USB and reinserted the balance corrected so I thought it was the usb cable not seated properly maybe. Now that I think about it the culprit must be the DI. I guess having it always on is not the best idea...

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #2,114 of 4,156

Quote:
could it be that while inserting the chip, some of the pins didn't go into the slot? I had the same issue until I check and sure enough, the pins didn't go into the sockets. The pins themselves are so thin that sometimes they may get bend out of place.

Hmm I have confirmed it twice that all pins had went in. In any case, I will try again =)

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #2,115 of 4,156
I used the ass of my screwdriver and shoved the hex inverter all the way down. And.. it works!

I am a little unfamiliar with the resulting sound due to the rolling of the hex inverter now. Not sure how to describe it. Will let it run in for a little while to get myself familiar with it =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back