Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jun 1, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #2,071 of 4,156
dunno about upsampling
at first i liked it a lot, but since getting the PSU i feel that i no longer have the previously experienced harshness in sound, so i switched to non-upsampled mode. it sounds more natural to me now

This is one thing about the 74VHC04N that might not be entirely pleasing: it reveals flaws in poor/harsh recordings more easily. I still think it's a substantial upgrade, though.

I'm a bit worried after reading through the last couple of pages. How come people report such significant differences when rolling components such as the hex inverter and such? Honestly it's a bit absurd for me.

The difference is obvious -- I have no idea why it makes such a big difference, but it costs so little that everyone should try it.

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #2,072 of 4,156

Quote:
I'm not sure if this has been discussed within the thread, but has anyone tried the no-change setting without the clock in the socket?

I was testing between the stock clock, a Vanguard TCXO and a Tentlabs XO for the upsampling. In the end I preferred without upsampling. Since Kingwa said the clock is not used in the no change setting, I took out the clock. Surprisingly there seems to be some difference in the sonic and I wonder if there's any influence the clock has in the socket and without. I tested all three clock in the socket in the no-change setting. There were perceptible changes in the sound with each clock having a subtle impact on the sound. In the end, I found that no clock in the socket turns out to provide the most transparent and clean output signal to the DAC. Details and ambient information are a lot more noticeable without any clock in the socket. I thought Kingwa said the clock isn't used when not upsampling but it seems to have an effect on the signal.

Thanks for the tip. I removed mine because I don't like upsampling. Nice improvement, even more neutral-sounding.

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #2,073 of 4,156
Wushuliu - judging from the DAC threads over at audiocircle, you and I have the same AD1865 dac - did you try the DI with upsampling + the AD1865?  I think after 72 hours of burn in it sounds far better than non-upsampled AD1865, what did you think?

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #2,074 of 4,156

Quote:
Wushuliu - judging from the DAC threads over at audiocircle, you and I have the same AD1865 dac - did you try the DI with upsampling + the AD1865?  I think after 72 hours of burn in it sounds far better than non-upsampled AD1865, what did you think?

No, the DI is recent and I moved on from the AD1865 a while ago. Given the changes in my gear since then it would be interesting to compare. Dunno though, every encounter I have had with upsampling where I could A/B with and without I always end up preferring without.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #2,075 of 4,156
I just removed clock for testing and dont know how to put it back.:) in which pins from left and which direction? I see there is one different corner of clock. should it be upper right. holes important or not?
another question - Im testing new audioplayer, jplay. when I want to play 24/96 file through it I have info that audio device doesnt support such file. why? My dac and DI should support it. I have DI set as default and without clock right now.

I managed to put clock in but still cant play high res file..

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #2,078 of 4,156
Does anyone know if it is better to use a 10x more watts switching power supply than you need or just enough watts with a linear regulated power supply for a PC transport for audio purposes?

Why does using a about 10x more watts switching power supply seem to make the soundstage bigger compared to another switching power supply I used with just enough watts?
Please PM me about it.

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #2,079 of 4,156
I tracked down the hardware latency issue causing dropouts - It was the usual suspect aka wireless card.  

Great, so now I can either listen to music without upsampling, or use the internet.
beerchug.gif

I think I have a solution though - set up a wireless bridge and connect to it with t5, that or just run a t5 cable if that's easier.

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #2,080 of 4,156
can you tell me which driver is good for DI? I just tested some driver:

http://www.usb-audio.com/

but it doesnt work and I just cant go back to previous driver. Its impossible to uninstall it even with drivers cleaner...

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #2,081 of 4,156
can you tell me which driver is good for DI? I just tested some driver:

http://www.usb-audio.com/

but it doesnt work and I just cant go back to previous driver. Its impossible to uninstall it even with drivers cleaner...

The default one. I tried that driver (it does work, BTW) and all it did was cause me headaches trying to uninstall it. You need to do this: "Go to Device Manager, locate the software in the "Universal Serial Bus" section (very important to locate it here!), uninstall the driver and check the "delete driver software" option." The default driver then successfully installed the next time I reconnected the DI.

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #2,082 of 4,156
sure I read it and did it. Unfortunately its still here. I tried everything and of course unplugged DI. everytime I reconnect it theres some audiotrack dr dac usb driver loading. argh.
well looks like no driver now but I cant make DI to work. It says theres no drivers for TE7022..

Jun 6, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #2,083 of 4,156

can you tell me which driver is good for DI?

http://cid-1eb7027489224a7d.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Teralink-X2%20ASIO%20driver%20%5E50.9%20beta%5E6?sa=680732473

They're released by the Tenor chip manufacturer, that most likely asks their OEM customers for a fee to release them....thing is, those free drivers will work w/ any TE7022L device
zoubidawa.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #2,084 of 4,156
I had a lot of trouble with the ploytec drivers - BSOD's no sound etc after uninstalling them

Basically you need to search for the pgusbwdm.sys file and remove all the instances you can then install the std Microsoft driver

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #2,085 of 4,156
in win7 it's really easy to uninstall Ploytec drivers.
in winXP i had to reinstall the system.

but..after using them, removing them, forgeting about them i finally installed them again. at this moment i feel that they deliver the best sound.
yes, they see DI as audiotrak's Dr.dac2.

Teralink's ASIO sux, imo
properly configured, it sounded a little better than DS, worse than WASAPI and, of course, worse then Ploytec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back