Audio-gd Digital Interface
Sep 17, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #4,053 of 4,156
Update:

I've been continuing to use the DI-2014 and I noticed that when using the USB input,  there's not much difference between using the i2s output or the coaxial output in the bass department which is what I have problems with, I didn't use a good coaxial cable though.

I did notice a major difference when using the coaxial input of the DI-2014, bass was much fuller/maybe less detail, I'm using the coaxial ouput of the DX-50. So in this transport I'm assuming the usb input  and all what's associated with it does something to the bass.

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #4,054 of 4,156
Update:

I've been continuing to use the DI-2014 and I noticed that when using the USB input,  there's not much difference between using the i2s output or the coaxial output in the bass department which is what I have problems with, I didn't use a good coaxial cable though.

I did notice a major difference when using the coaxial input of the DI-2014, bass was much fuller/maybe less detail, I'm using the coaxial ouput of the DX-50. So in this transport I'm assuming the usb input  and all what's associated with it does something to the bass.

Can you try to reinstall the new Aug firmware and new driver to see if it helps?
Purin and dacladder have tested new firm+driver with built in usb32 and reported pretty impressive result @___@

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #4,055 of 4,156
Hi all!

Just wanted to let you know that i recieved my audio-gd di 2014 today. 
I made King-wa change the pinout of the I2S - so that it matched that of my Northstar Design Dac 192.
So i was very exited to open it -and finaly to test it with my dac. 

At the moment (just for another day or so) i am using windows 8.1 with XBMC as frontend. 
Booted my windows machine - startet the Audio-gd, then i connected the USB cable, and finally i installed the driver. 

After a reboot - it was time to test, and voila! swiching to channel 4 on the Northstar, and i recieves a fine lock. 
The upsample option is off-course missing - because i now run a direct connection and not SPDIF. 

It cant tell anything about the sound yet. I guess i have to wait for the unit to settle in before making any suggestions about the sound. 

But right its playing background music - and it sounds nice. 

So thumps up to king-wa for making the audio-gd talk with the northstar - thats simply great :) 

have a nice day 

Best regards 
Ronni 

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #4,058 of 4,156
  glad that you have sorted it out, just received my di today
used it with audioquest cat7 cable with outstanding result, very satisfied bass level on hd800 (which i always find disappointed as im basshead )

How much of a difference is there between the Master 7 internal USB32 and the DI 2014?  Did you compare the two using the newest internal USB32 firmware and driver? 

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #4,059 of 4,156

How much of a difference is there between the Master 7 internal USB32 and the DI 2014?  Did you compare the two using the newest internal USB32 firmware and driver? 

actually not, just received them today so plan to let them breakin first
another thing is i bought 2 DI2014 and one of them is dead on arrival, now have to deal with warranty process :frowning2:

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #4,060 of 4,156
  actually not, just received them today so plan to let them breakin first
another thing is i bought 2 DI2014 and one of them is dead on arrival, now have to deal with warranty process :frowning2:

Sorry about that and I feel your pain.  The power button on my Master 3 amp jammed last week and I am unable to power it off now.  Its out of warranty so I would have to cover shipping to China which would have been $800+ and $200 back to the US. LOL.  Needless to say I just ordered 2 new power switches from Kingwa and will have a local guy fix it.  Repairs are the only bad thing about dealing with Audio GD which IMO is greatly outweighed by the quality of product you get.   

Did they ship your DI2014 via TNT shipping?  How fast are they?  My power switches were shipped via TNT.

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #4,061 of 4,156
  Sorry about that and I feel your pain.  The power button on my Master 3 amp jammed last week and I am unable to power it off now.  Its out of warranty now so I would have to cover shipping to China which would have been $800+ and $200 back to the US. LOL.  Needless to say I just order 2 new power switches from Kingwa and will have a local guy fix it.  Repairs are the only bad thing about dealing with Audio GD which IMO is greatly outweighed by the quality of product you get.   

yeah, actually i have purchased many from agd for 2 years without any trouble, this is my first time that a product is died out of the box, maybe because of the numbers of di2014 orders so they dont have enough time to test it :frowning2:
anw, hope agd could solve it soon, also sorry for your power switch T__T

they shipped my package via DHL, and it took 2 weeks since DHL incorrectly delivered to another destination 

btw, back to di2014, quick test with my dac1 results in much better outcome compared to my old converter which is concero :)

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #4,062 of 4,156
No comments on sound of the DI-V3 with the new firmware yet?  

My 2 cents, a clear improvement.  I don't have another good converter to compare it to, but it sounds better than it ever had.

My DI-V3 is driving an Uber Bifrost (no USB card).  I have tried both the 'USB32_FW_version1_forDI.bin' and 'USB32_FW_version2_forDI.bin'.  No Windows driver though; using a Mac instead.  Both firmware versions sound the same to me.  The more that I listen to it the more that I think that the new driver has produced an increase in the detail across the frequency range.  After time the difference does not seem as subtle as it first did.  On recordings that are not too good, I don't notice much.  On the better recordings there is more precision in the location of the instruments and voices, as well as the clarity of the music.  I don't sense the degree of grain that I had earlier, which was making me think about trying something new.  I can be happy with the setup for a while.  

The new firmware is more analog sounding, no question in my rig.  

Anyone know what the difference between firmware versions are for the DI?

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #4,063 of 4,156
just have a quick test with schiit wyrd and di2014 on m7+m9
without wyrd i feel like the sound is mellower, a bit warmer, bass loosen a bit and more analog feeling
with wyrd, every thing is a bit clearer, drier more elegant and treble extension is a bit more sparkle

does any one happen to have another dac with wyrd+di combo, please share some impression :)

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #4,065 of 4,156
  Hello there. I've been lurkin a while (well... a bit more than a while :D).
I'd like to upgrade the firmware of my DI-V3, but I can't download it. Can someone mirror it? 

TIA!

Same thing happened when I tried.  Just so happens theres a thread for that:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/638252/audio-gd-usb-32-firmware-drivers-and-feedback-thread/360#post_10902051

Happy flashing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back