Audio-gd Digital Interface
Nov 17, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #4,082 of 4,156
  Now we're talking! Did you try coax too?

nad51 "has to use coax connection" since the hdmi interface on nad is completely different thing compared to hdmi on di2014
the hdmi on di2014 is IIs (i2s) signal so the hdmi acts as interface only and they use completely difference internal configuration

to give you some more reference, compare to my master7 using built in usb, the nad51 is in 1 or 2 lower bracket
but with di2014-->m7 compared with di2014-->nad51 the gap is much much closer, now nad51 occupies same bracket, i would say tonal wise very similar, m7 only has slightly advantage over layering and a bit more micro detail that does not present in every tracks, only very few careful records could show the difference in micro details.
the most important factor is di2014 help reducing digital feeling with nad and makes it sound more analog, more natural and smoother :)

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #4,083 of 4,156
Thanks xxxfbsxxx,

You have convinced me that the DI 2014 could provide a much better usb sound from the pc than the M51. I already knew the M51 usb input isn't very good. Dull and not very transparant.

I mostly listen to music with a Logitech Squeezebox Touch connected to the M51 with a coax cable (Belden). This works absolutely fine. HDMI from my Blu ray / SACD player to HDMI M51 is excellent too.

I just wondered if the DI 2014 could improve the interface between the Touch and M51 (Touch coax --> DI 2014 --> M51 coax,
or: Touch usb --> DI 2014 --> M51 coax)

Anyone?

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #4,084 of 4,156
I recently started using my di2014 in the USB mode. Taking input from my PC. For several days I ecperienced bad echo, chopping and motorboarding noise from only the USB in, spdif works perfect. I finally solved it by reloading my audio-gd driver and updated my pcan USB driver. Just wondering if others had experienced similar issues,.

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #4,086 of 4,156

BSOD!? I am not if its the same as my issue.
Anyway, I believe I have correlated my problem with occasional use of youtube to play video on my HTPC. After the youtube session, I get the echo/chopping problems as I had described earlier. I am hoping going to JRIVER 20 will fix this permanently.

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #4,087 of 4,156
I'm using the NFB-15 and my computer experiences BSOD occasionally. Anyone know how to fix this?

A complete Windows reinstall and format might help. It did for me :)

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #4,088 of 4,156
  I'm using the NFB-15 and my computer experiences BSOD occasionally. Anyone know how to fix this?

Pay attention in which situations you're getting those problems, I had the same problem but using youtube and some chat clients on browsers.

I think there's an inconsistency in the quality of the USB32 (or incompability with some motherboards) and sometimes crash, I don't think it's a driver only problem. My Master-7 USB input had this problem, though I didn't on the DI-2014. I formated, flashed different versions of the firmware, and even got a different mobo and CPU, it didn't solve my problem.

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #4,089 of 4,156
So, has anyone compared the DI-V2014 against the USB32 chip of their DACs?
I wonder whether there will be an appreciable difference, to the NFB7's USB input vs USB-DIV2014-I2S for example :}
Cheers

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #4,091 of 4,156
Thank you for the excellent review. I have been thinking about purchasing the DI-2014 for some time now to go with my M7 but keep having second thoughts about more expensive options like the Berkeley. So it got me wondering: does it make any sense / is there any experience with using multiple jitter reducers in the same chain? For example, by feeding the output of one DI-2014 into a second one before getting to the M7, does the sound quality improve over having a single unit?

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #4,092 of 4,156
Hi guys, I am new here and tried to read the entire thread, and gave up for toooo long to read.
Is it improving the sound quality of ordinary CD which is connected to DI-2014 through optical or coaxial output?

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #4,093 of 4,156
  Hi guys, I am new here and tried to read the entire thread, and gave up for toooo long to read.
Is it improving the sound quality of ordinary CD which is connected to DI-2014 through optical or coaxial output?

If your CD player has optical or coax digital output, then you can output SPDIF from the CD player (transport) to the DI-2014 --> but then need to output SPDIF to another DAC from the DI-2014.
So you need a new DAC as well as the DI-2014 and if the new DAC is better than the DAC in your CD, then there should be an improvement.
(... but actually, you could just go direct from the CD player to a suitable DAC without the DI-2014...)

The nice thing about the DI-2014 is that you can also hook up a computer via a USB port to the DI-2014, which can output to the same DAC.
So you can choose (switch) between your computer as a source - or your old CD player (transport) as a source.

(...I am selling 2 pretty nice CD players now because my computer/DAC sounds better and is much more convenient to use...)

So, I think your first step to improving sound is to check if some DAC in your budget would offer better sound than your current CD player.. then make sure it connects OK to your CD player digital outputs, then try that.. then after you find the DAC you like, think about computer audio with a DI-2014 or similar..

welcome and have fun !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back