Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jan 28, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #1,352 of 4,156
How was your experience with them?
I only know that their shipping cost to my country is as expensive as the clock itself.

Quote:
Not to mention their absolute rubbish service  . . .

Quote:
The Tentlabs clock is € 24,37 excl. VAT...

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #1,354 of 4,156
I suppose that the clock brings improvement when upsampling to 96KHz as it's a clock for upsampling, but how does it scales with bypass mode?

I mean, I personally prefer bypass mode over upsampling with default clock on the DI. Does upsampling at 96KHz with new clock sound better than bypass mode and upsampling at 96 with default clock?

Jan 28, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #1,355 of 4,156
Tentlabs:

Clock ordered (and paid for) with 3 day delivery on 7th Jan

email sent 13th Jan asking where is order - no reply

Another email chasing order on 17th Jan this time a reply:

"The payment confirmation from Paypal didn't make it through the spam filters, this ocasionally happens. Will ship today."

well you tard add an exception to the filters!!!

more emails chasing - it arrived on the 27th Jan

no offer of a (shipping) refund!

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #1,356 of 4,156

Quote:
Quote:
After some time with my Tentlabs clock I can say it sounds better in all situations, much better coherence 

I need to ask Kingwa if I can get a DI with a Wolfson spdif instead of the DIR because I need one with a coax in and out for the full 192Khz sample rate.

Otherwise I might be looking at a different brand

The DI is limited to 24bit/96kHz by the Tenor TE7022 Chip, even if the Wolfson chip is used.

Yes i know, as I stated in my post I will need one with coax IN and OUT for the full 192Khz, dont plan on using usb for that one at all.

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #1,357 of 4,156

Quote:
I suppose that the clock brings improvement when upsampling to 96KHz as it's a clock for upsampling, but how does it scales with bypass mode?

I mean, I personally prefer bypass mode over upsampling with default clock on the DI. Does upsampling at 96KHz with new clock sound better than bypass mode and upsampling at 96 with default clock?

To my ears 44.1 sounds best but I have noticed [via placebo or not] that music sounds best 1)with the lowest sample rate ie 44.1 or 48K and 2)music sounds best at the sample rate that coincides with the clock frequency.

imo, these improvements [clocks] are fractional...not major night-and-day changes.

Jan 28, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #1,358 of 4,156

Quote:
Tentlabs:

Clock ordered (and paid for) with 3 day delivery on 7th Jan

email sent 13th Jan asking where is order - no reply

Another email chasing order on 17th Jan this time a reply:

"The payment confirmation from Paypal didn't make it through the spam filters, this ocasionally happens. Will ship today."

well you tard add an exception to the filters!!!

more emails chasing - it arrived on the 27th Jan

no offer of a (shipping) refund!

Same..service is pretty poor from Tentlabs.  When i ordered my XO back in late Nov, waited 2 weeks, got quoted 'Item was posted but due to Postal Strikes in the Netherlands, it will be delayed."  and then 4 days later got another email stating that it will be delayed again as strikes are back on."  At that stage i wasnt confident that it was going to arrive before xmas.  Then on Xmas eve, came back from work, got the note to pick up the XO from the local post office :D

So, expect delays for otherwise a good product.

Jan 28, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #1,359 of 4,156

Quote:
Quote:

To my ears 44.1 sounds best but I have noticed [via placebo or not] that music sounds best 1)with the lowest sample rate ie 44.1 or 48K and 2)music sounds best at the sample rate that coincides with the clock frequency.

imo, these improvements [clocks] are fractional...not major night-and-day changes.

i found that with pop, rock or high energy music, the upsampling works well.  With jazz its better without upsampling.

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #1,361 of 4,156

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i found that with pop, rock or high energy music, the upsampling works well.  With jazz its better without upsampling.

I agree as 96K upsampling tends to smooth the sound and give less focus hence less fatiguing sound on high energy music, while bypass mode gives more body and focus to jazz, for the good.

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #1,362 of 4,156
There is no switch on the chasis itself for upsample modes which imo makes switching modes a bit more difficult if you want to play with it.  An idea is dip-switches similar to what is on the M-Stage amp.

Waiting for King-Wa to finalize the new clock before I grab a DI.  I am already impressed by how clean the NFB-2 is connected to USB and thats with cheap buds.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree as 96K upsampling tends to smooth the sound and give less focus hence less fatiguing sound on high energy music, while bypass mode gives more body and focus to jazz, for the good.

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #1,363 of 4,156
There have been lots of comparisons between the DI and other USB/SPDIF converters.  Just for kicks has anyone went back to compare the DI or their favorite converter to your computers spdif out?

Its easy to get yourself isolated into a corner of methods or practices in this audio game, and winding up living in a bubble of dogma.

Case in point the use of toslink followed by the dogma surrounding coax/bnc which made people categorically dismiss toslink all together and now the reemergence of people using and liking toslink.

I find its always good to go back and test the so-called improvements to the base-line.  I did that with power cords on certain equipment and found that stock power cords sounded best [for them]

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #1,364 of 4,156

Quote:
Does anyone know how the Audiophilleo 2 compare to the DI? They seem to use a lot of similar features.

But they seem not to have the same price tag: $ 500 versus $ 140/$ 215 (with PSU)!

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #1,365 of 4,156

There have been lots of comparisons between the DI and other USB/SPDIF converters.  Just for kicks has anyone went back to compare the DI or their favorite converter to your computers spdif out?

Its easy to get yourself isolated into a corner of methods or practices in this audio game, and winding up living in a bubble of dogma.

Exactly, and I wonder which ones use two discrete clocks for 44.1 and 48 multiples? only m2tech and the Envy24 DSP? coz whatever PCM2704 or TE7022L both use a single 12Mhz PLL, and 44.1 isn't quite up to par to upsampled 96kHz on selected recordings IME. Now, is it due to the evil J or because upsampling REALLY improves the waveforms(as explained in this PDF) is up to discussion:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back