Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jan 23, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #1,336 of 4,156
Electrical pollution is different place to place. Some electrical grids are a lot cleaner than others, and I believe, but am not sure, the city Kingwa lives in has cleaner than average power. So assuming he is using a TYPICAL computer as transport, there may be less difference between DI and DI+PSU for him, and he does say himself the difference is not major. For a place with really polluted electricity, the difference may be bigger.

I do agree with the last few posts by leeperry regarding how polluted the computer can be, although all computers have different hardware and so are all different when it comes to noise. But I am not as confident when it comes to the degree of audibility of the noise, not something I have investigated too much and I don't plan to :p. People who tweak computers for transport do agree with leeperry about eliminating hardware unessential for music playback, but I personally don't really bother, not that OCD that I would take out my graphics card I need for games :).

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #1,339 of 4,156
Quote:
leeperry said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Trapper32 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the noisy components are on the 12 volt rail aren't they and the usb the 5v..so they aren't sharing the same rail

HDD's ruin the 5V ripple, and all components flush to the ground...which ends up dirty as hell. Breaking news, I know.

Mind providing a source? HDDs use 5V and 12V, not just 5V. Ripple on the 12V doesn't really make it through the 12VDC -> 5VDC converter.
Quote:
As been said, Kingwa is well aware of how important a good PSU is..and most everyone who tried the DI+PSU combo stated that the SQ improvement was drastic. Audio is nasty coz you can never know what you're missing, simply rest assured that they're always something better sounding out there...there is no such thing as 100% perfect SQ. Someone used to a Realtek will be as happy as an OCD'ed guy using more expensive audio gear, they simply have different standards...because one has heard better gear than the other.  
Really, because FWIR the DI+PSU combo has made a small difference for the majority of users...

everyone who tried the jkeny hiface went nuts, do you think they all fell for placebo? Give them back a stock hiface and they'll hate it, even though they used to like it before.

No, the original Hiface was not very good (imo). I think they fell for placebo when they originally got the hiface w/o mods.

A cleaner and isolated power signal goes a long way...the dirtier it is, the more edgy/harsh/colored the sound will be. And the only way to find out is hearing it w/ your own ears.

My USB power isn't dirty, and it doesn't sound "edgy/harsh/colored."

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #1,340 of 4,156
Exactly right, some will say that electrical pollution is different from time to time. 

I think people feel comfortable believing things that support their preconceived notions most of all followed by strong popular opinion. 

I guess do what your wallet and your conscience tells you in right.  I for one can't hear a single note coming from someone elses set-up so what they choose matters little to me.

Regarding Lee, he is slightly off his rocker, in a mad scientist kind of way...you can believe he has done some research and/or tests to confirm his findings.

Quote:
Electrical pollution is different place to place. Some electrical grids are a lot cleaner than others, and I believe, but am not sure, the city Kingwa lives in has cleaner than average power. So assuming he is using a TYPICAL computer as transport, there may be less difference between DI and DI+PSU for him, and he does say himself the difference is not major. For a place with really polluted electricity, the difference may be bigger.

I do agree with the last few posts by leeperry regarding how polluted the computer can be, although all computers have different hardware and so are all different when it comes to noise. But I am not as confident when it comes to the degree of audibility of the noise, not something I have investigated too much and I don't plan to :p. People who tweak computers for transport do agree with leeperry about eliminating hardware unessential for music playback, but I personally don't really bother, not that OCD that I would take out my graphics card I need for games :).

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #1,341 of 4,156
The more I read about the use of clocks in audio equipment the more it seems not as relevant. It seems even if you have a superior clock before the DAC known as the sampler clock I think if the clock is just retiming garbage in (garbage as in power supply noise and accumulated jitter) then the retimed garbage out is still garbage. I thought at first a clock could retime the spdif signal entering the DAC into a pure untouched signal from the original transport source but that seems more difficult to attain.

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #1,342 of 4,156
You have a point Iag0a, besides no matter how jitter-free the clock can make the data, the self noise/jitter of the spdif out is likely more than the clock anyways.

Besides the DI needs the Wolfson spdif out otherwise its being bottle-necked by the hardware limitations of the DIR spdif at 96Khz.   The Wolfson will give you the whole 192Khz that the DI can upsample too.

Currently the only AGD Dac that I know of that can actually handle incoming 192Khz is the NFB-8 because it has the Wolfson spdif.  Others have the Tenor so 96Khz is the limit.  Kingwa really needs to use Wolfson SPDIF across the board.

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #1,343 of 4,156
He's selling the Sabre DACs again, due to demand, so you can add those.

The problem with this discussion is that we can't easily do measurements ourselves and the set up of PC power supplies and motherboards isn't by any means universal. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #1,344 of 4,156

Quote:
Quote:
Personally I find the PSU to be worth the upgrade in my rig, plus it's not super expensive so you may give it a try if you're interested.

How are you using the digital interface exactly, USB from your computer? If it's a desktop, do you know what power supply you have? If it's a laptop, are you plugged in while listening?

USB to the DI, DI powered by external PSU from Audio-gd, DI plugged directly in the DAC with RCA adapter.
PC PSU is a Seasonic S12 600 HT (1st model, probably the more stable one regarding voltages).

Jan 27, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #1,345 of 4,156
After some time with my Tentlabs clock I can say it sounds better in all situations, much better coherence 

I need to ask Kingwa if I can get a DI with a Wolfson spdif instead of the DIR because I need one with a coax in and out for the full 192Khz sample rate.

Otherwise I might be looking at a different brand

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #1,347 of 4,156
Just the upsampling clock.

Both clocks are 24.576 which means your should sample at either rate below to get best results

[size=10pt]48Hz x 512Fs = [size=10pt]24.576MHz[/size][/size]

[size=10pt]96Hz x 256Fs = [size=10pt]24.576MHz[/size][/size]

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #1,348 of 4,156
After some time with my Tentlabs clock I can say it sounds better in all situations, much better coherence 

I need to ask Kingwa if I can get a DI with a Wolfson spdif instead of the DIR because I need one with a coax in and out for the full 192Khz sample rate.

Otherwise I might be looking at a different brand

The DI is limited to 24bit/96kHz by the Tenor TE7022 Chip, even if the Wolfson chip is used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back