Audio-GD DI-20
Mar 24, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #3,393 of 5,351
I'm starting to think about buying an Audio-GD DAC to use with my DI-20HE. Looking I guess to use the i2S connection for optimal integration and fidelity. What is your favourite Audio GD DAC? Does anyone have a recommendation based on experience? I'm currently using a Musical Paradise tube DAC and the pairing is wonderful, but somewhat temperamental.

Mar 24, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #3,394 of 5,351
I'm starting to think about buying an Audio-GD DAC to use with my DI-20HE. Looking I guess to use the i2S connection for optimal integration and fidelity. What is your favourite Audio GD DAC? Does anyone have a recommendation based on experience? I'm currently using a Musical Paradise tube DAC and the pairing is wonderful, but somewhat temperamental.
Depends on the kind of money you want to spend. Coming from a tube dac, the HE7 mkii would be a great choice. Or master-7mkii for 1100 less.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #3,395 of 5,351
Got a new psu for my Usbridge Sig streamer, which in turns feeds the di20he. This Zerozone:

https://m.fr.aliexpress.com/item/4001309236118.html

The Usbridge Sig is really an awesome value to start with. I tried many psus with it, including the Shanti. But the Zerozone sits comfortably on top. It is smoother, with darker background and better overall clarity. It is in part the o-core transformer but also the excellent regulation circuit, all discrete, and also the overhead, being good for 4A. Just love the sound with it.

Mar 25, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #3,396 of 5,351
Hi all!

Does anyone know the DC output voltage of the normal DI-20 (non HE) power supply?

Another question: the SPDif input supports DOP according to the manual. If I feed the input RCA with DOP - what will be the output at the SPDif RCA out? DOP or PCM?

Regards
Dirk

Mar 25, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #3,397 of 5,351
Hi all!

Does anyone know the DC output voltage of the normal DI-20 (non HE) power supply?

Another question: the SPDif input supports DOP according to the manual. If I feed the input RCA with DOP - what will be the output at the SPDif RCA out? DOP or PCM?

Regards
Dirk
5V There are 2 separate 5V supplies. Not sure for the second question.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #3,398 of 5,351
5V There are 2 separate 5V supplies. Not sure for the second question.
Hi guys, so I take it that's it's possible to power the DI-20 from a 5V supply? Would I need dual 5v DC power or just one? I have a very good DC LPS with supercaps that outputs 5V.

If so, I assume that would put the DI-20 performance closer to the DI-20 HE - even moreso the HE version would become unnecessary right?

Mar 28, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #3,399 of 5,351
So folks, I've finally decided it's time to switch up my DI-20. I have the normal non-HE version with upgraded Accusilicon 90/98M and the sound is world class, basically leaving no desire for anything else... when it works! You may recall I've been experiencing what appears to be a fluke issue (faulty unit maybe) with white hissing noise on startup that occurs randomly about 50% of the time and goes away after multiple power-cycles or toggling between bit/sample rate settings. I've done everything under the sun from swapping connections (direct to Windows laptop vs. with USB decrapifiers), uninstalling / reinstalling drivers both Wasapi and ASIO, updated my audio player software, tried all sample rate combos, and all firmware versions but it keeps happening randomly.

So I'm hoping a replacement unit may quell the issue. I'm leaning towards the HE version. Any consensus on how that version may sound different?

I'm also asking Kingwa about the possibility of adding a Toslink optical output type, IMO a main feature that has been lacking.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #3,402 of 5,351
Also @801evan you have an interesting post here. Maybe you also have an opinion on the above ^ thanks
There's some secret sauce to my chain that solves many issues that other products can't.

Usb purifier reclocks the zen stream then sends it to the cosemi optical cable. Cosemi then transcodes it from electrical to optical. Tail end of cosemi transcodes it from optical to electrical + some reclocking. Then purifier reclocks that for good measure then sends it to the dac. The idefender gives the purifier an edge via multi stage filtering. The 2 purifiers and the cosemi has a clock and clock performance is super sensitive to load stability and mechanical vibration. Bonus performance is the optical fiber for the data lanes on the cosemi cable. I can't take one component out. I've been spoiled by it. This makes my chain very sensitive too actually to a level of 'everything matters'. I wanna still put a ddc after that so I can use optical but I lack a multi stage power supply for such.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #3,403 of 5,351
Hi guys, so I take it that's it's possible to power the DI-20 from a 5V supply?
Certainly not without major surgery and probably not at all.

If so, I assume that would put the DI-20 performance closer to the DI-20 HE - even moreso the HE version would become unnecessary right?
Seems extremely doubtful.

Anyway, if you have an Audio-gd DAC and run IIS out of your DI-20 then best bang for the buck is the HE in all likelihood.

If you don't have an Audio-gd DAC (and even if you do) I can recommend the Mutec MC-3+ USB. I run my non-HE DI-20 into the Mutec and then into an R8 MK2 over AES/EBU. To my ears it adds some air and sparkle over DI-20 base model directly into the R8 over IIS.

Mar 28, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #3,404 of 5,351
There's some secret sauce to my chain that solves many issues that other products can't.
It doesn't include DI-20HE, it is a main problem. :)

Seriously, instead of using chain of reclockers, I would chose a good one like Mutec as it was suggested above. The alternative path is to maintain asynchrous data delivery to the DAC (or DDC), it is why both solutions @gimmeheadroom are optimal.

In your case I would try another solution with a minimal investment. In short, I suggest to cut ground loops at the source. Replace Ethernet cable connection to the zenstream (I assume, correct if I am wrong) with a WiFi extender on a short Ethernet cable working as a network adapter for zenstreamer. It is a key point. Like these. Plug it directly to the wall socket or your multiplug. Then on the USB cable you can add idefender with a good linear power supply (but not reclockers) between a DAC (or DDC), it doesn't break asynchronous data delivery. Sell or donate all other stuff you don't need.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #3,405 of 5,351
Mutec as it was suggested above.
Tried it...meh. just slightly improves timing. I'd lose in an ABX.

. In short, I suggest to cut ground loops at the source
That's already what the idefender does and does better than lifted ground couplers

Replace Ethernet cable connection to the zenstream (I assume, correct if I am wrong) with a WiFi extender on a short Ethernet cable working as a network adapter for zenstreamer.
Tried many solutions. Not good. Wifi is best.

I have dedicated mains. Using that will just contaminate my mains

good linear power supply (
Already have ifi elite modded with silver occ. Better than hdplex, lps 1.2, farad3, 3 chifi lps, and the hypsos. And it's not a linear power supply. 😉

Like I said, paring down makes it worse.

Next step is trying to add a ddc. I already have the src dx and topping d10s. Making dedicated cables for it. Then once that's done, I'll play around with a di-20 / u18. But I need the src dx / u18/ zen sig one as a baseline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back