Audio-GD DI-20
Mar 11, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #3,361 of 5,353
Hello!

I'm trying to use my DI20-HE as input device via USB for my (testing) of an Antipodes S30 with Roon.

Roon detects the Antipodes, but cannot detect the Amanero combo USB, which is the connected DI20-HE to the Antipodes.

So no music is on output to the DI20-HE.

How can I configure Roon to detect the Amanero correct?

Best regards
Dirk

Mar 11, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #3,362 of 5,353
Did you check whether DI-20 is seen by the server as opposed to Roon? Server has more USB ports and only one can output music.

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #3,363 of 5,353
Yes, the Amanero USB is seen by the Antipodes player. Of course I used the correct USB port at the Antipodes marked as "Audio USB":

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-11 um 17.01.55.jpeg

But MyAntipodes says no player:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-11 um 17.01.29.jpeg

This is the popup in Roon audio device config with unknown device message:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-11 um 17.02.51.jpeg

This is the signal path in Roon if starting play, only shows "USB output":

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-11 um 17.03.53.jpeg

I'm using AES/EBU as output from DI20-HE. Will try to use RCA.

The whole chain is syncing the clockrate according to the choosen file after click play in Roon, so DI20-HE, my Trinnov and my DAC all show the same clockrate. So the cable connections seem to be ok. But no music.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #3,365 of 5,353
Took the plunge into firmware V3.933 yesterday. I'm usually a firm V4.075 believer.

Decided to install the warmer firmware and leave it in for a week. Maybe I'll get used to it, and even enjoy it I'm thinking. Other people love it, most people even.

It feels like I am going down a dark and dangerous path away from Neutral, had tried it a few times before and switched moments later back to familiar ground.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #3,366 of 5,353
Hi! Anyone compared this Audio-GD to the Aurender UC100C? I have the Aurender on loan and I have mixed feelings about it when comparing the Aurender + Supra digital coax cable to the direct USB connection to my Accuphase DP550 player. Could the Audio-GD allow me to have the cake and eat it too? If not, any other suggestions below, say, 1200 Euro? Mutec MC3+ USB? Or simply try a better coax cable? (but the USB from the PC is yet another Supra, so the comparison to the direct connection should be fair - or not?)

Here are my impressions, copy-pasted from another forum:
"The Aurender brings a very welcome fullness to the sound, especially in the midrange. More tonal density, more "analogue" sound, closer to the real sound of the instruments and also brings the tone & timbre of the streaming content closer to the original CD as played by the same Accuphase player. Very addictive! BUT: along with these advantages comes a reduced sense of air, slightly less sparkle, the bass is comparatively more bloated and less articulate, the music "breathes" less, seems less dynamic and there’s less sense of space. Even the soundstage might be slightly narrower, I’m not sure. Not huge differences, but all together they create the feeling that with Aurender there is a more natural tone & timbre, while without it the detail, space and dynamics seem more natural."

I haven't posted on HF in such a long time, only lurking, it feels nice to be active here again!

Mar 16, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #3,367 of 5,353
Could the Audio-GD allow me to have the cake and eat it too? If not, any other suggestions below, say, 1200 Euro? Mutec MC3+ USB? Or simply try a better coax cable? (but the USB from the PC is yet another Supra, so the comparison to the direct connection should be fair - or not?)
DI-20 has better power supply than Mutec. Only alternative I could think of to replace my DI-20 with would be Innuos Phoenix but that only allows USB connection to dac and is way out of your price range. Coax with RCA-connectors is the worst way to connect digitally in my experience so if you have an alternative input with your dac maybe try another type of cable?

Mar 16, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #3,368 of 5,353
The Accuphase accepts USB and SPDIF (optical and coax). My understanding is that in general the optical connection has the worst reputation. Between USB and coax I don't know which is theoretically better in my particular case, so I'm open to explore. But I'd prefer coax because my player exhibits a strange short (1/4 of a second or so) "bzzzt" sound once in a while, as if losing sync or something, while playing music using the USB input. The music keeps playing but it's distracting. It can happen once an hour or ten times during an album and I've tried various USB cables and computers to no avail. The only two things I was able to identify that helped (but did not eradicate the problem, only made it less frequent) are playing high resolution music and using an iFi iPurifier USB (but I didn't like the sound, so off it went).
DI-20 has better power supply than Mutec.
Probably. But have you directly compared them? Seems like nobody heard the Aurender on the other hand, it's basically nonexistent on the audio forums, and has no review I could find...
Thanks!
P.S. How would you characterize the sound of the Audio-GD compared to skipping it in favor of a direct connection? I'm particularly interested in its tonal character.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #3,369 of 5,353
Hello!

I'm trying to use my DI20-HE as input device via USB for my (testing) of an Antipodes S30 with Roon.

Roon detects the Antipodes, but cannot detect the Amanero combo USB, which is the connected DI20-HE to the Antipodes.

So no music is on output to the DI20-HE.

Best regards
Dirk
Now that this is working did the Di20 improve on the s30's usb?

Mar 17, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #3,370 of 5,353
P.S. How would you characterize the sound of the Audio-GD compared to skipping it in favor of a direct connection? I'm particularly interested in its tonal character.
It's difficult to say how much DI-20 is contributing vs. how differently my dacs handle USB vs aes or spdif signals. The difference is bigger with COS D2 than T+A DAC 8 DSD for example. If I change USB cable or USB card before DI-20 the difference is big so DI-20 seems quite transparent in between.

Mar 17, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #3,371 of 5,353
Hi! Anyone compared this Audio-GD to the Aurender UC100C? I have the Aurender on loan and I have mixed feelings about it when comparing the Aurender + Supra digital coax cable to the direct USB connection to my Accuphase DP550 player. Could the Audio-GD allow me to have the cake and eat it too? If not, any other suggestions below, say, 1200 Euro? Mutec MC3+ USB? Or simply try a better coax cable? (but the USB from the PC is yet another Supra, so the comparison to the direct connection should be fair - or not?)

Here are my impressions, copy-pasted from another forum:
"The Aurender brings a very welcome fullness to the sound, especially in the midrange. More tonal density, more "analogue" sound, closer to the real sound of the instruments and also brings the tone & timbre of the streaming content closer to the original CD as played by the same Accuphase player. Very addictive! BUT: along with these advantages comes a reduced sense of air, slightly less sparkle, the bass is comparatively more bloated and less articulate, the music "breathes" less, seems less dynamic and there’s less sense of space. Even the soundstage might be slightly narrower, I’m not sure. Not huge differences, but all together they create the feeling that with Aurender there is a more natural tone & timbre, while without it the detail, space and dynamics seem more natural."

I haven't posted on HF in such a long time, only lurking, it feels nice to be active here again!
I would say, if you have an Audio-gd DAC then get the DI-20. For other DACs, the Mutec is a good choice unless you want DSD direct, which the Mutec does not support. The Mutec has better connectivity in and out than the DI-20 and also reclocks everything. The DI-20 advantage is how well it works with Audio-gd DACs, and it supports up to DSD512 (future proof) and 384 KHz PCM which is better than the Mutec's 24/192. Use ACSS or IIS if you get the DI-20, use AES/EBU if you get the Mutec. All three are better than coaxial S/PDIF.

Mar 17, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #3,372 of 5,353
Thank you both. As I said above, the Accuphase has only USB, Toslink or SPDIF coax inputs - and I like it quite a lot, no plans of leaving the Accuphase camp anytime soon. I'll try to arrange for a 3 way comparison, Aurender vs. Audio GD vs. Mutec, and I'll post the results.

Mar 17, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #3,373 of 5,353
To elaborate a bit more, brief comparisons with the following cables using JCAT Femto & XE cards as USB sources. Same power cords (Siltech SPX-800) and power conditioner (Burmester 038) used for both dac and DI-20.

JCAT Signature USB to DI-20, Furutech DigiFlux AES/EBU (xlr) to T+A DAC 8 DSD

Lively and addictive, effortlessly accurate sound. Conveys realistic recording space. Not too smooth, not too sharp. Best of both worlds. Elevates all recordings. My current reference digital source. Closest I have reached compared against a former ~15 000€ turntable setup. 9/10

JCAT Signature USB to DI-20, Furutech DigiFlux S/PDIF (rca) to T+A DAC 8 DSD

Elevated bass in comparison. Slightly compressed soundstage. Leans toward smoothness at expense of leading edge. Sound signature is present coloring all recordings. Retains convincing physicality and timbre of instruments. 8/10

JCAT Signature USB to T+A DAC 8 DSD

More ethereal in comparison, feels like listening a recording vs. live music. Rhythmically less drive. Soundstage lacking depth. Lower quality recordings diminished in comparison. Tonally greyer, even with DSD512 upsampling. Unable to compare DSD upsampling through DI-20 in my current setup (dac has no I2S input). I wonder how this would do with Innuos Phoenix in between. 7/10 (PCM), 7.5/10 (DSD)

Mar 23, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #3,374 of 5,353
Speaking of which, do you normally keep DI-20HE on 24/7? From the AGD site, it is not necessary to routinely turn on and off unless there is a power outage or thunderstorm. Will this make the unit's life shorter by keeping it on 24/7? It is around 35c here in Bangkok.

Also, how long should we prepare the unit (from turning off) until it's ready in terms of SQ again? I hope it is not as much as a day like an external clock ...

Mar 23, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #3,375 of 5,353
Speaking of which, do you normally keep DI-20HE on 24/7? From the AGD site, it is not necessary to routinely turn on and off unless there is a power outage or thunderstorm. Will this make the unit's life shorter by keeping it on 24/7? It is around 35c here in Bangkok.

Also, how long should we prepare the unit (from turning off) until it's ready in terms of SQ again? I hope it is not as much as a day like an external clock ...

What! No air conditioning?

I keep it on 24/7. I think you really have to for DDC and DAC. Takes too long to warm up.

Once in awhile I will restart everything if something doesn't sound quite right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back