Audio-gd DAC 3SE - Arrival!
Jan 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #136 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Initial impression with zero burn in is it is a little polite compared to the 19mk3. I think my little amp doesn't have the power to bring it to life (Soha II). I'm building a Stacker II and will wait till that is complete before giving my final impressions.

I'm with Les, give it some nice run in- a week of solid use maybe. I was a bit disappointed with the Ref-1 at first. Not since......

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #137 of 207
Regal if your amp had enough to convey the details in the 19Mk3 wouldn't for the 3SE? Albeit, I agree you may have to give the DAC time to burn in. Please keep us posted on the sound and do compare to to the 19MK3
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #138 of 207
Audio GD dacs need alot burning, my DAC9 with PDM100 new sound worse (in the upper range) than my DAC19 Mk3 already burned, so let it burn!!!!!!

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #139 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm with Les, give it some nice run in- a week of solid use maybe. I was a bit disappointed with the Ref-1 at first. Not since......

I never noticed any difference and thought it was brilliant from day one. It just needs warm up time though. What DAC were you used to using before the Ref1 that you felt was better?

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #140 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regal if your amp had enough to convey the details in the 19Mk3 wouldn't for the 3SE? Albeit, I agree you may have to give the DAC time to burn in. Please keep us posted on the sound and do compare to to the 19MK3
biggrin.gif

Not neccessarilly, the SOHAII has NFB and the 19MK3 does not, so it is a better match.

After burning in the 3SE is sounding great with my new StackerII.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #141 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never noticed any difference and thought it was brilliant from day one. It just needs warm up time though. What DAC were you used to using before the Ref1 that you felt was better?

It sounded nice at first, don't get me wrong (considerably better than the VDAC I had) but I was expecting more out of it and didn't really get the wow factor for a couple of weeks, so it wasn't about my other DAC sounding better, just expectations I had for the Ref-1.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #142 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounded nice at first, don't get me wrong (considerably better than the VDAC I had) but I was expecting more out of it and didn't really get the wow factor for a couple of weeks, so it wasn't about my other DAC sounding better, just expectations I had for the Ref-1.

A neutral and natural sounding DAC shouldn't have much of a wow factor, except with detail and transparency.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #144 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Choochoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am waiting for my DAC3DV to arrive (don't want to spend money on Ref1). But judging from the demo unit, DAC3DV is a satisfying upgrade from DAC19MK3.

Did you get it yet?

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #145 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not neccessarilly, the SOHAII has NFB and the 19MK3 does not, so it is a better match.

After burning in the 3SE is sounding great with my new StackerII.

Regal, did you play around with the clear/smooth switch at the back?

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #146 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by vlach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Regal, did you play around with the clear/smooth switch at the back?

yes it sounds much better in the up position, don't know if that is smooth or clear, guessing clear.

Jan 25, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #148 of 207
After changing the russian military p-io caps in my amp to the new clarity cap ESR's this DAC has an amazing sound. Those old caps were holding it back. I've decided to keep it.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #149 of 207
i didn't notice much improvement after burn-in with mine, but i still like it's sound. Now if it only had a led to signal the the HDCD playback works ok.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #150 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowlord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i didn't notice much improvement after burn-in with mine, but i still like it's sound. Now if it only had a led to signal the the HDCD playback works ok.

Its easy to add an HDCD LED, I can draw up something if folks are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back