Audio-gd DAC 3SE - Arrival!
Apr 14, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #166 of 207
I was not looking for the DAC-3SE to be more neutral by adding additional PCM1704UK chips, I am just hoping to extract the most SQ possible. Kingwa said that adding the additional chips could bring about better SQ so I did it.

I have the DAC-19DSP and it is dead neutral as advertised. Lately I have been wanting to inject some more life into my music. I could have easily thrown on a tube preamp to get a thicker more musical midrange but I much prefer solid state equipment. As much as I have always followed the rule that a source should not contain any color I really wanted to try a musical DAC and go against the grain.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #167 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by sk3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was not looking for the DAC-3SE to be more neutral by adding additional PCM1704UK chips, I am just hoping to extract the most SQ possible. Kingwa said that adding the additional chips could bring about better SQ so I did it.

I have the DAC-19DSP and it is dead neutral as advertised. Lately I have been wanting to inject some more life into my music. I could have easily thrown on a tube preamp to get a thicker more musical midrange but I much prefer solid state equipment. As much as I have always followed the rule that a source should not contain any color I really wanted to try a musical DAC and go against the grain.

Neutral is relative, to me the 3SE kicks the pants off the DAC19 toward providing a lifelike reproduction of the music.

The extra PCM1704s will reduce distortion, there is a thread on diyaudio where a guy experiemented with this and found best results with 8 per channel, I'm going to open mine tonight to see whats involved in adding the extra like you are having done, I never noticed the open spot for them.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #168 of 207
@Regal.....

I found that the DAC-19DSP was not digital sounding, guess it would be considered analog but I did not find it "lifelike" as you call it. Granted it is still burning in, I've probably put around 30hrs total on it so far so I should not be judging it at this point.

I can't wait to hear it first hand. I was going to get the Reference 9 but I have read so many good things about the PMD100, I just had to try it.

Actually I have read some amazing reviews for the PMD200....suppose to be really special....

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #169 of 207
Quote:

@Regal.....

I found that the DAC-19DSP was not digital sounding, guess it would be considered analog but I did not find it "lifelike" as you call it. Granted it is still burning in, I've probably put around 30hrs total on it so far so I should not be judging it at this point.

Ever thought if it might be the speakers/cans?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #170 of 207
Yeah I use studio monitors and they have a very flat response throughout the mid range and higher frequencies. The lows on the KRK monitors are slightly on the heavy side.

I am sure that the DAC-19DSP with a more musical sounding speaker would be a perfect setup.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #171 of 207
Quote:

Yeah I use studio monitors and they have a very flat response throughout the mid range and higher frequencies. The lows on the KRK monitors are slightly on the heavy side.

I am sure that the DAC-19DSP with a more musical sounding speaker would be a perfect setup.

All I have to say is you can hold the 19 in one hand, the 3SE takes two and can cause a hernia. I'de say the powersupply on the 3SE is quite a bit better than the 19. It has a very impressive sound with the right amp vs the 19.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #172 of 207
I almost bought the DAC-9MK3. I think its an extremely good value for $1100. Where else can you get the quality components and power supply like that for that kind of money. I chose to go with the DAC-3SE based on your comments Regal.

Even though Kingwa labels the DAC as "musical", you have often stated that the DAC is rather "lifelike", and thats exactly the sound I am looking to achieve.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #174 of 207
Good news is that Kingwa said this morning that he is 200 km away from the earth quake that hit China. I know that sounds kinda selfish but told him I was glad he and family were not hurt by it. I decided to go with the Audio GD ROC and the Reference 5. I am hoping the Reference 5 will give me the sound I want. I sold the PS Audio DL III with the Stage 4 mods mainly because I thought it really did not sound right and I do not know if it was just me or something else. I had no real complaints about the PS Audio but just wanted mainly to try the Audio GD DAC products so we will see. Good luck with the DAC-3SE as I am sure it will sound fantastic.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #175 of 207
Quote:

If I listened to mostly classical, I would have never wanted to upgrade from the DAC-19. However I listen to mostly R&B, a lot of music with voices and I am looking for some more 3-D, full bodied midrange sound.

I listen to more than a handful of r&b, have heard the DAC19 (DF version btw, so DSP should be better) on 2 other setups besides my own.

The sound stage was very 3D in one of the setups (more than my own), which had proper acoustic treatment and fantastic speaker placement.

I just have a feeling what you really need is not a better DAC, but something else like acoustic treatment, assuming you're using speakers. If it's the cans that don't seem 3D, well, they are cans
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #176 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good news is that Kingwa said this morning that he is 200 km away from the earth quake that hit China. I know that sounds kinda selfish but told him I was glad he and family were not hurt by it. I decided to go with the Audio GD ROC and the Reference 5. I am hoping the Reference 5 will give me the sound I want. I sold the PS Audio DL III with the Stage 4 mods mainly because I thought it really did not sound right and I do not know if it was just me or something else. I had no real complaints about the PS Audio but just wanted mainly to try the Audio GD DAC products so we will see. Good luck with the DAC-3SE as I am sure it will sound fantastic.

Glad he was OK. Part of my 5 year quest for a high quality DAC was the PSIII, I know you will be pleasantly surprised, this is a heck of an upgrade. What amp are you using?

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #177 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to more than a handful of r&b, have heard the DAC19 (DF version btw, so DSP should be better) on 2 other setups besides my own.

The sound stage was very 3D in one of the setups (more than my own), which had proper acoustic treatment and fantastic speaker placement.

I just have a feeling what you really need is not a better DAC, but something else like acoustic treatment, assuming you're using speakers. If it's the cans that don't seem 3D, well, they are cans
wink.gif

I have the 19 and the 3SE with the right amp there are big differences, but you are right that the drivers play a role, but don't underestimate the difference between the 3SE and the 19.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #178 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That should be a nice combo. I just noticed the REF 5 this morning. KW is hard to keep up with!

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #179 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif

Sorry I did not clearly write my statement. The DAC-19DSP owns a large 3D soundstage, its extremely transparent and detailed throughout the frequencies. I like the level of detail and quality in the midrange and voices, but I felt that I wanted it to be slightly more pronounced. Possibly a little thicker and/or slightly forward. Thats just my personal taste. (As nominod suggested, there is a good chance that my studio monitors, or the accoustics in my room could be at fault here) Anyways the DAC-19 is surprising close to my idea of perfect sound. (Well as good as I expect to receive from a computer source) For my needs, The DAC-19 is so good that I believe it would be complete overkill to put a fully balanced Reference One on my system, since I only use a computer as a source.

I have never heard my DAC-19DSP on cans. I mainly use it for my two channel stereo. I currently have the Pico Amp/DAC which I need to sell to fund a new standalone headphone amplifier but I'm having a hard time letting it go. I love its portability, fit and finish, quality, everything...

Apr 17, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #180 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neutral is relative, to me the 3SE kicks the pants off the DAC19 toward providing a lifelike reproduction of the music.

The extra PCM1704s will reduce distortion, there is a thread on diyaudio where a guy experiemented with this and found best results with 8 per channel, I'm going to open mine tonight to see whats involved in adding the extra like you are having done, I never noticed the open spot for them.

@Regal,

Did you have a chance to get your 3SE open, are you also going to mod yours to 8x1704???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back